Does "Subdued Send-Off, but Leno Is Exiting on Top" mean...?

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:01 am
Does "Subdued Send-Off, but Leno Is Exiting on Top" mean "diminished size of the ceremony of saying good-bye, but Leno is begining to quit from the top position of his business/entertainment space"?

Context:

Subdued Send-Off, but Leno Is Exiting on Top
By BILL CARTER Despite the diminished state of late-night television, and technology that has altered viewing habits, the “Tonight” show remains one of the signature franchises of broadcasting.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:06 am
It's not very well written, and, of course, it's a headline. I think (without a great deal of confidence) that the writer implies that the "send-off" is subdued because late night, network television is not as important as it once was. Leno is quitting, he is not beginning to quit. He is at the top of his particular, professional niche--late night television host.
oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:17 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's not very well written, and, of course, it's a headline. I think (without a great deal of confidence) that the writer implies that the "send-off" is subdued because late night, network television is not as important as it once was. Leno is quitting, he is not beginning to quit. He is at the top of his particular, professional niche--late night television host.

I still didn't get "the "send-off" is subdued " very well.
Send-off, according to my dictionary, means good-bye.
Subdued good-bye, sounds weird.
If it means " late night, network television is not as important as it once was", what does send-off refer to?
Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
@oristarA,
Leno is leaving "The Tonight Show," after 22 years. It is the most important late night television show on the American Television networks. The context you provided doesn't make clear if the send-off is subdued because late night network television is no longer as important as it once was, or if the send off is subdued in the sense that there is no special program planned for his last night on the air.
oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 11:33 am
@Setanta,
Cool.
0 Replies