Rumsfeld vs Powell

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:23 am
just as a starter Rumsfeld ignored what I understand to be the Powell doctrine of over-whelming manpower/force to quickly establish containment/order and then he disbanded the Iraqi military shortly after the invasion which he is now trying to rebuild without much success leaving Iraq in today's sad state of chaos.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,068 • Replies: 19
No top replies

the prince

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:40 am
I would call him overconfident and arrogant - a dangerous mix
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:50 am
Over the last several weeks, the evidence seems to be mounting that Rumsfield is the weak link in the team and the one who may have had the poorest judgment. The U.S. commanders, however, have seemed to reject the need for additional troops except in hot spots like Fallujah where they have asked for and received reinforcements. The administration has hung together and presented a united front which is critical to demonstrate strength in wartime, so it will probably be awhile before we will know if any heads are going to roll.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:58 am
I didn't know how to vote, since both seem to aplly about equally.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:08 am
Rumsfeld speaks too much, very glibbly and convincing, saying nothing. He uses the "I can't remember that" dodge too often. He is not stupid or incompetent. Neither is Powell. But the loyalty issue gets in the way far too often for either of them to speak their real minds.

So, none of the above.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:09 am
I had other options for the poll but I FUBAR all to often.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:14 am
OK, I'll bite. What is FUBAR?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:15 am
Rumsfeld is as Guantum says overconfident and arrogant. While Powell has surprisingly and disappointingly turned out to be a lap dog who goes along to get along.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:46 am
F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:48 am
FED up? I hadn't learned it quite that way but okay . Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:38 am
A lady in the house...McG was being polite
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:40 am
<nods>
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:40 am
I cringed when whack-job Rumsfeld said in response to April's soaring US death toll in Iraq: "They'll be good days and they'll be bad days. Onzies and twozies........"

Huh?

Is he insane? Safe to be lose and on the streets among our women and children?

Such gibberish suggests a brain tumor or true insanity.

If Bush had any backbone (he doesn't) he would fire his ass immediately, but those decisions don't come from Bush, but from Cheney and Daddy Bush.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:48 am
Rumsfeld has screwed it up, but to fire him now(that it's too late) wouldn't do any good and may undermine any confidence that remains in the effort.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:53 am
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/040421/siers.jpg
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:01 am
Brand X
Fire Rumsfeld? When a team is going badly they usually fire the manager or coach not the players. Bush got to go! Bush got to go! Bush got to goooooooooo!
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:35 am
"When a team is going badly they usually fire the manager or coach not the players." au1929

That would be Cheney. :wink:
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:54 am
Right - Cheney. I wonder how Cheney handles it when Bush decides to act presidential and assert himself?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:36 pm
When is the question smc, I think it would add up to almost never.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:35 am
How can there be any question about Rumsfeld? Look at one of his first big acts, before 9/11. He gave the regular army black berets. The black berets were what the Rangers wore. Even better the US makers of berets could not supply the army with enough for all the troops, so we bought them from China. Sorry I have a problem with issuing the troops Chinese berets. I think I have carried weapons that are smarter than Donnie.
0 Replies