Big news brewing in Japan?

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 03:36 pm
This is a collection of facts and speculation that makes for interesting reading overall. I hope the speculation is accurate. And I would go so far as to say this is a good result starting out from bad intentions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
April 21st, 2004

Almost unnoticed by the American press, the aftermath of Japan's hostage crisis in Iraq is developing in a direction which may have permanent and serious positive implications for American foreign and military policies.

Prime Minister Koizumi's response to the kidnapping of the first three Japanese taken hostage in Iraq marked a watershed in Japan's posture for dealing with external threats. Prime Minister Koizumi simply refused to "go Spanish" in the face of terror threats against his citizens. As the Wall Street Journal notes (link requires subscription), Japan had previously embraced the notion that the lives of hostages must be paramount. In the words of former Prime Minister Takeo Fukuda, who capitulated to Japanese Red Army airplane hijackers, "human life is heavier than the Earth."

Having watched the Red Army metastasize into a far larger and bloodier threat in the aftermath, Japan has learned some lessons. The specter of a nuclear-armed North Korea lobbing missiles over the Japanese Archipelago has also done wonders for the strengthening of the Japanese national spine.

Despite large public anti-war demonstrations and tearful pleas from relatives of the hostages, the public has been strongly backing Koizumi's tough stance.

Now, a steady stream of news, much of it leaked from governmental sources, is hinting that the first three hostages may have faked their kidnapping. If and when these suspicions becomes provable, the public backlash in Japan against the anti-war left could be fearsome, and drive Japan's foreign policy even further toward muscular collaboration with American defense efforts. Given Japan's formidable economic and technological resources, the coalition of the willing would benefit substantially for a long time to come.

We have reported (here and here) on previous evidence supporting speculation that the first kidnapping incident might have been fabricated by the left-leaning war opponents, in order to pressure the government of Prime Minister Koizumi into withdrawing Japan's forces in Iraq, or at least embarrass his administration. They were purportedly seized by a previously-unknown group shortly after arriving in Iraq from Jordan. The Koizumi government indeed was subjected to mass demonstrations by Japanese anti-war groups, and tearful pleas from hostage relatives, urging that Japan withdraw from the coalition forces, as Spain has just done.

The left-leaning daily newspaper Asahi Shimbun now reports that the three activists have been treated very differently by the Japanese government than another group of two hostages, released shortly after the first group was freed. While the first group of three were hermetically shielded from the press, and were taken back to Japan under guard, prevented from interacting with, or even being photographed by the press while flying on a commercial airliner (in coach, it must be noted), to face police questioning, the second group has been free to speak with the press while in Dubai, and under no official constraints on where they go and with whom they speak.

Kyodo News Service of Japan reports that the Japanese government plans to charge the three hostages for the costs of the chartered airplane which took them from Iraq to Dubai immediately after their release. The government reckons this bill at 660,000 yen (approximately $6000). Meanwhile, the Asahi quotes a senior ruling party official as saying that the total cost to the government of the incident is about two billion yen (approximately $18.46 million dollars), which some influential politicians want to bill directly to the families of the hostages, if only for symbolic value.

Various politicians have gone on the record with harsh words for the three hostages. Fukushiro Nukaga, chairman of the Liberal Democratic Party's Policy Research Council, said

"The families above anything else should say they are sorry for causing such trouble, and their initial request for the government to pull the Self-Defense Forces out of Iraq is questionable,'' Kiichi Inoue, state minister in charge of disaster prevention, told reporters. "Since they caused a lot of trouble for many people, they should acknowledge their responsibility.''

"This may sound harsh, but people must take into consideration that they are responsible for themselves before they act,'' education minister Takeo Kawamura told reporters. "In a way, this is an educational issue.''

Such conspicuous lack of sympathy is in marked contrast to the words of US Secretary of State Colin Powell, who said the freed hostages should be commended for putting their lives at risk for the "greater good,'' according to Kyodo News.

"I am very pleased,'' Powell said in an interview with Tokyo Broadcasting System reported by Kyodo. ``I was very worried about the Japanese hostages and I am so pleased that they have been released and that they are safe.''

Powell said the three Japanese should be commended for their activities in Iraq.

"If nobody was willing to take a risk then we would never move forward, we would never move our world forward.''

Most interesting of all is word leaked from police sources, based on interrogation results, that the hostages were actually instructed to pretend to be scared. Kyodo News Service reports

Iraqi militants asked three Japanese nationals to pretend to be scared when videotaping them after kidnapping them earlier this month, Japanese police sources said Tuesday after interviewing the trio.

The video showing the three being threatened with knives and guns was broadcast on the Al-Jazeera TV news channel on April 8 as part of the kidnappers demand that Japan withdraw its Self-Defense Forces troops from Iraq.

Stay tuned. The Japanse are paying close attention. Fully forty percent of the population watched live coverage of the release of the three hostages.

Like everyone else, the Japanese deeply resent deception intended to maniputlate their emotions. Japan's national will to defend itself, once mobilized, is extremely formidable. No one, least of all Japan's Asian neighbors, doubts Japan's capability to become a serious military power, once the will is present. Fortunately, this time around, Japan is firmly anchored to the cause of human freedom and democracy.

Link
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I guess I must have missed the news. I didn't know the kidnapping was faked.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:20 pm
Most kidnappings in Iraq appears on the front page of newspapers. Fake ones probably don't show up anyplace for correction.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:26 pm
There was speculation that 3 of the victims were themselves allied with the terrorists or kidnappers..whatever you want to call them.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:59 pm
"go Spanish" ?
That really, really irritates me. Sad
Are patriotic Americans supposed to hate Spain now, too? I sincerely doubt that is the phrase used by the prime minister!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
Suzy, I like some of your posts. I think I'll start following you around. It won't be stalking, per se, but more of a curiosity type thing.

So don't be alarmed when you see me standing in the shadows.

Gustav
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
Oohh, Gus, then my prayers have been answered! :wink:
I greatly enjoy all of your posts.
You're a funny guy, for a crazed mountain man!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
Actually, I can barely see the mountains from my place. As a matter of fact, I can't see them at all. To take it a step further, I don't think there's a mountain within a thousand miles of me.

So, you better change that to a crazed swamp rat.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:21 pm
Suzy
Oh my gosh, I'm blushing at the passion swamping us at A2K.

BBB Mr. Green
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
I'm alla time following Suzy around the site.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
Crazed swamp rat it is!
mmm, that's even more enticing... Wink
Roger, Smile
You guys are embarassing me! Embarrassed
So, about this Japanese thing...!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:57 pm
Hey, you guys! My thread is not a dating service. Go get a room! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:58 pm
Quote:
JAPAN: Hostages released into storm of criticism

Media, government, public target former captives over carelessness

The Japan Times
Wednesday, April 21, 2004

By Hiroshi Matsubara

Two days before her daughter was freed Thursday night by her captors in Iraq, 65-year-old Kyoko Takato was apologizing to the public, using words more befitting of the parent of a criminal.

A sticker covers part of a poster advertising the weekly magazine Shukan Shincho on a Sapporo subway train to hide the titles of articles about three Japanese hostages recently released in Iraq.

Civilian hostages Nahoko Takato, 34, a volunteer aid worker; Soichiro Koriyama, a 32-year-old freelance photojournalist; and 18-year-old Noriaki Imai, a recent high school graduate, were released Thursday night in Baghdad by gunmen holding them hostage. Their captors had threatened to burn the trio to death unless Japan pulled its Self-Defense Forces troops out of Iraq.

Japan refused to cave in to the gunmen, and did not budge when relatives of the trio came to Tokyo and demanded an SDF pullout for the sake of their loved ones' lives. The trio were later freed unharmed.

But what may ordinarily have been a happy ending may instead not be the end of the suffering for the three and their families.

While the three were in captivity, they and their kin drew sharp public criticism in Japan, having put themselves in harm's way after being warned to steer clear of Iraq. They were castigated for causing trouble and a fair amount of grief for the government.

Immediately after it was learned that the trio had been taken hostage, politicians, top bureaucrats and the media openly accused them of risking not only their own lives but also of jeopardizing the government's activities in Iraq by entering the strife-torn country despite repeated orders by the Foreign Ministry to keep out.

Some members of the public were equally unsympathetic; the hostages' relatives received countless harassing telephone calls and were bashed on Internet bulletin boards, including the well-known Channel 2.

Kenichi Asano, a professor at Kyoto's Doshisha University and one of the most vocal critics of the media, said it is not unusual for victims of crime in Japan to become targets of the media, which tend to accentuate their faults.

"But never before has such extensive criticism been directed toward the families while their kin were still in danger," he said, noting the trio had been kidnapped, a crime that requires the highest level of media sensitivity.

Asano claimed that the official response to the hostage crisis triggered the widespread criticism.

The first criticism from politicians came a day after the hostage scenario was reported, when Environment Minister Yuriko Koike said she thought the trio's decision to enter Iraq was nothing less than reckless, adding that they were largely responsible for the situation.

Influential Liberal Democratic Party politicians jumped on the bandwagon, prompting mainstream media to openly criticize the trio.

Asano claimed that the government specifically placed the blame for the hostages' plight on the trio's shoulders to counter any public criticism toward the deployment of Ground Self-Defense Force troops to southern Iraq.

The criticism apparently peaked with a series of articles in the latest issues of the major weekly magazines Shukan Shincho and Shukan Bunshun, which hit newsstands last Thursday morning, before the trio were released.

The articles touched upon their private lives and personal histories.

Kiyoshi Hayakawa, chief editor of Shukan Shincho, defended the decision to run the articles even before the fate of the three was known, saying the hostages were "more than just victims, because they made the controversial decision to enter Iraq despite being aware of the dangers."

He said the magazine sold out within a few hours at many stores and newsstands, adding that the publisher received a number of phone calls praising the coverage.

But the criticism is not just in the media realm.

Ken Takada, head of World Peace Now, an umbrella body of 51 Japanese nongovernmental organizations, said he believes the criticism of the trio reflects a lack of public understanding and is tantamount to slander toward overseas volunteer activities by individuals or NGOs.

He said that Japanese NGOs have made a great contribution in Iraq since the days of President Saddam Hussein's ouster, and that it is still natural for people to want to stay there or go to the country.

"The government's decision to dispatch the SDF to Iraq was an act that could effectively pull the plug on such commitment," he said. "But it is questionable whether this point was discussed to the extent that the government could come up with convincing reasons for us to leave."

Takada also reckoned the hostages wrongly assessed the dangers. He noted that most NGOs in Iraq have relocated their headquarters to Jordan and other neighboring countries.

Some also view the criticism directed at the hostages as a reflection of strong public distrust in Japan of civic activism, especially peace activities.

One Shukan Shincho article alluded to Marxist sympathies on the part of relatives of at least one of the hostages.

Hayakawa defended the story, saying it is natural for the public to want to know the political backgrounds of the hostages and their families, since they both made such political demands as the withdrawal of the SDF from Iraq.

The two other hostages freed Saturday in Baghdad -- freelance journalist Junpei Yasuda, 30, and 36-year-old human rights activist Nobutaka Watanabe -- also faced criticism.

And as for the freelancers, Koriyama and Yasuda, the daily Yomiuri Shimbun, in its top story in last Thursday's evening edition, denounced freelance journalists in Iraq for staying even after major newspapers and TV broadcasters withdrew their reporters. The article alleged that such holdouts were motivated by a quest for fame, money or their opposition to the SDF dispatch.

But Kosuke Tsuneoka, 34, a freelance journalist who returned from Iraq on March 16, argued that it was natural for journalists to want go to Iraq when what could be the most pivotal fighting in the conflict -- the battle at Fallujah -- has yet to end.

"The (mainstream) media call Japanese civilians in Iraq irresponsible, but it was those media that should be branded as irresponsible for abandoning reporting from Iraq even when Japan is making a military commitment there," he argued.

Tsuneoka said he believes the extensive criticism of the hostages is based primarily on the public and media's view of the war in Iraq as someone else's problem.

"But Japan is actually a player in the war, and it is natural for journalists or aid workers to feel motivated to do something, even at the risk of their lives."
Source

An aside: why wasn't this posted in "International Politics"?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:19 am
That story is quite different. But until there are confessions it's probably all speculation.

On a side note, it's always fascinating to view the inner workings of the Japanese culture.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:51 am
Tarantulas, you're a cop? In Arizona? I used to live in a place called University Park, on the border between Mesa and Tempe.

I've been meaning to come back and take care of those speeding tickets.

And that little incident up at South Mountain Park... well, I think we can forget about that. That was a long time ago.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:57 am
Great post Walter; straightened out my misconceptions. Tar, I thought you'd jump all over the Japanese notion of personal culpability seeing as how the Liberals are accused of avoiding it all the time.
0 Replies