Glaring faults of US style democracy

roger

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:19 pm
It's the right discussion, perception. You brought up the topic of news sources, and Fox News.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:29 pm
Roger
Can't I try to have a little fun----dys was actually on the wrong thread earlier on. I'm trying to change my image----I recognize I have been taking this much too seriously.

I think the poet and I have a little understanding---don't we?////
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 05:35 pm
Fox's claims to virginal objectivity are twaddle because all media outlets have an agenda. Without an agenda - a view of how the world is - editors have no means to decide what stories to cover, and what priority to assign the huge variety and number of events taking place around the world. All media ventures have an agenda. If you, the consumer, remain aware of that agenda, this is a trifling concern. But if you are ignorant of the agenda, or, as in the case of Fox News, pretend there isn't one, you must be ranked among the pigeons.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 06:22 pm
This isn't new news about the news but perhaps worth some focus. A commonplace criticism from more than a few of the older generation of TV news people (Wallace, Cronkite, Rather, etc) of how the modern TV news room has evolved is that where they once were distinct parts of the parent organization uniquely left alone by management (differentiated, that is, from sit coms and variety shows and all else the network threw out onto the airwaves to gain ratings and ad revenue) they are now subsumed within the "your ratings are down! Get them up!" operation. Increasing corporate control is not helping us out here.

As one writer I read recently put it, where once the idea was to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable, the direction of change is towards afflicting the afflicted and comforting the comfortable.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 06:54 pm
Oh, lesbians kissing -- that's really tabloid silliness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
No Perception, you are not allowed to have any fun. We are all very serious here, and morally as well as intellectually opposed to having fun of any description.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 07:31 pm
poets hate fun
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 07:41 pm
But I'm not a poet. I'm a real bookkeeper.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:06 pm
dys
What are an agenda?-----is that a new kind of bio bug? What ever that stuff is you're smoking must be high grade................
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:24 pm
agenda: a common word, A list or program of things to be done or considered
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:25 pm
and i smoke Camel Filters (hard pack)
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 08:39 pm
Agenda---is that one of them things that the liberals replaced with slick willy?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:03 pm
agenda implies a policy unlike Bush and the economy, Bush and North Korea, Bush and the Middle East, Bush and Venezuela.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:07 pm
the Media had no agenda regarding Trent Lott and bigotry ergo there was no story, the internet wrote a new agenda and 5 days later the Media "discovered" they found an agenda.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:26 pm
My-My---that is very unpoet like.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:00 pm
if i should run across a poet i will ask about that
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:22 pm
Perception,

We have already discovered some adverse side effects to the recently-enacted McCain Feingold bill limiting certain campaign contributions. Some cures are worse than the disease they address. To what extent might this apply to the suggestions you have put forward for our political process? For example, how would you enforce a prohibition on campaigning before your 30 day window opened?

As Aesop's mice discovered, the idea of putting a bell around the cat's neck is easy to discuss. Making it work (and installing it) is rather difficult.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 01:34 am
georgeob - that's a nice question, and, as we know, difficult to find an easy answer for. For instance, it doesn't take much brainpower to see a master plan with Karl Rove - the establishment of Bush as president, followed by brother Jeb - the formation of a dynasty.. I think the Bushes have always envied the Kennedys.

But then you have a very unhappy Rice, who saw herself following Cheney, and a very ambitious Frist, who sees himself in the same position. So a lot of people are already campaigning. And, of course, the beat goes on among the democrats. Here's where the media could help, by both donating and restricting time. But they won't.

One man's corruption is another's road to power, and legal should never be equated with moral. I have always believed in the corruption of elected officials, because very few of them travel roads where the temptation is not there. But I don't believe this is necessarily and always such a terrible thing - because it depends on one's definition of corrupt.

What has disturbed me greatly has been the obvious corruption of thinking and abuse of power by the Supreme Court. That Florida action really shook me, because it reduced the Court to just another easily bought political tool.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:36 am
georogeob said:
Quote:
We have already discovered some adverse side effects to the recently-enacted McCain Feingold bill limiting certain campaign contributions. Some cures are worse than the disease they address.
Could you clarify what you are thinking here? Particularly in this situation, I find it difficult to imagine a cure worse than the disease.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:37 am
mamajuana....welcome to Politics and A2K.
0 Replies