How to understand this news of Robot Poet? It is like bullshit

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:33 am
1) “by the time the poem is finished, the first lines have been destroyed"
What? So the poem is not complete?
2) "I can just type in text and it converts it to a code that the machine accepts"
What? The robot is not creative and just redisplay what the robot builder writes for it?

Context:

Robot Poet Composes The Sands Of Time
Jan 31, 2014 11:53 AM ET
by Nic Halverson
Now that robots are writing news stories and novels, the machines are getting their operating systems tweaked for more creative endeavors: poetry.

PHOTOS: 8 Facts That Will Piss You Off During the Super Bowl

Created by Dutch artist Gijs van Bon, “Skryf” is a robo-poet that composes its verse in a trail of sand. The tricycle like mechanism consists of a modified CNC milling machine on wheels, which van Bon controls via a laptop. Skryf is programmed to take its time and slowly print the lines so that by the time the poem is finished, the first lines have been destroyed. Van Bon says this is intentional — a statement about the fleeting nature of poetry.

“When you’re writing one [line of] text, another one is going away because people start walking through it,” he told Dezeen. “Once I’ve finished writing, I walk the same way back but it’s all destroyed. It’s ephemeral, it’s just for this moment and afterwards it’s left to the public and to the wind.”

Unlike some artificially intelligent robots that generate content, Skryf’s words are chosen by Van Bon. ”I can just type in text and it converts it to a code that the machine accepts,” he explained. “It writes letter by letter and in the four hours that I write per day it will write about 160 meters.”

BLOG: Wearable Book Plugs You Into Characters’ Emotions

Van Bon said he’s been traveling to various festivals around the world with his robo-poet and usually selects poems with cultural relevance. ”I’ve been with Skryf throughout Europe and once to Australia,” he said. “In Eindhoven, I’m writing the poems of Merel Morre. She is the city poet of Eindhoven; she reflects on what is happening now in the city.”
More:
http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics/robot-poet-composes-the-sands-of-time-140131.htm

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:45 am
@oristarA,
#1 No, the robot is (probably) writing, say, five lines of text. But by the time it gets to line #5, it's already erasing lines #1 and #2. This is, essentially, intended to be ephemeral art, far as I can tell.

#2 Of course the robot can only spit back what it's been programmed. Artificial intelligence is not yet smart enough to be truly creative.
oristarA

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:01 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

#1 No, the robot is (probably) writing, say, five lines of text. But by the time it gets to line #5, it's already erasing lines #1 and #2. This is, essentially, intended to be ephemeral art, far as I can tell.

#2 Of course the robot can only spit back what it's been programmed. Artificial intelligence is not yet smart enough to be truly creative.

Alas, it was written in Dutch language. If in English, we A2Kers know how to effectively evalute its lines.
It is highly skeptical that the machine can write in beautiful, fluent language. You know poetry is not an easy task.
jespah

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:23 pm
@oristarA,
It's probably been loaded with a ton of lines and then given some sort of randomizing programming, if I had to venture a guess.

Oh, and thanks for the ribbon. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:24 pm
@jespah,
GIGO
0 Replies