fossil record: zero evolution

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 06:05 am

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 07:15 am
@gungasnake,
It appears that at least 2 of this dudes degrees, including one of his Phd's are from UNACCREDITED institutes of learning (Christian diploma mills). He has a spotty history before he joins the Creation Science Institute.
SO, not saying this guy has an agenda but maybe he has an agenda.

QUESTION:: Doesn't the CRI hire real scientists?

I was wondering how extensive his fossil "collection " even is. He seems to miss the important early and intermediate fossils . Lets take TURTLES for example. All the action of this Order happened in the Permian and Triassic. We have several fossil orders of turtles(Eunotosaurians, amphichelydians,Pleurodirans,Cryptodirans)
In the Permian are several species ofEunotosaurus (sp), that show the beginning of the unique rib structure and very primitive scutes (like scales) in this desert dwelling paleo "turtle"
In the Trissic (from lower to upper ) are several genera Odontochelys leading to Prognathochelys (all "true turtles"). All these critters could be seen as intermediate from lizard like to turtle like animals.
I did a quick inventory of the study collection of a museum Im associated with and found what we have an Excel list on our own specimens of turtle fossils)

That's just one excerpt from Bergmans "fossil collection" he just seems to have random samples of some fossils and has purposely ignored the stratigrphic level that clearly show where all the action occurred.Hes merely engaged in Creationist stamp collecting--HEs also trying to sell everyone who watches his Utube, a load of horseshit and, of course, we are expected to buy it without question.

Ill pass.I think itd be more fun toread about Bergmans evolution to "scientist" from some medical equipment technician/salesman.
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 08:22 am
@farmerman,
OH YEH.
Heres a map posted on Wed by PZ Meyers . Its a map showing the schools in US that are teaching Creationism as science .

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/files/2014/01/taxfundedcreationism-500x288.png
rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:40 am
@farmerman,
I wonder what state Gunga grew up in. Assuming he didn't grow up in the ruins of a martian city or something of course Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:45 am
@farmerman,
How do Louisiana and Tennessee get away with teaching Creationism in public schools? Is the Creationism instruction being taught in comparative religion classes, or in science class. If the latter, I would have thought it would be unconstitutional because it's clearly a product of religious dogma.
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:50 am
@rosborne979,
Im gonna find out. Remember, the Dover case is just for the 3rd district so maybe they've not yet challenged the ID issue on Louisiana and Tennessee. Isnt it a batch of irony that Tenn and La would both be states where the US law would slip through unopposed?

I know that Jindal is friendly to ID but Tennessee? Sounds like I got some **** to call into question with the NCSE this week

LATER _________an Edit_____________

Oh, it turns out that Tenn and la don't teach Creationism in SCIENCE. So that means that Meyers is being a little disingenuous too.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Oh, it turns out that Tenn and la don't teach Creationism in SCIENCE. So that means that Meyers is being a little disingenuous too.

Ok. Well, that's why I was asking.

I don't mind as much if they teach Creationism outside of Science class. After all Creationism is a part of our culture just as all mythologies are, so it seems reasonable to observe them as such.

I don't even mind if students come out of high school believing in Creationism, as long as they also understand the Scientific Methodology and can demonstrate an accurate understanding of Biological Evolution. It's just that I've never seen this combination of knowledge before, and as I've argued on this board, I'm not sure such a combination exists. The few "weak-creationists" we have here that have attempted to demonstrate this type of knowledge have shown significant flaws in their understanding of evolution and/or have argued their position from a philosophical perspective with slippery semantics (not very convincing).
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:46 pm
@rosborne979,
Im going to keep digging deeper. I have a few contacts in Louisiana still and ill try to fnd out more about what the Creationism courses are and in what curriculum they appear.
NcSE says that these courses are in the "humanities" but goes no farther in my quick query
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 03:20 pm
@farmerman,
Well, A bit of further information in which we have to recall the Louisiana Science Education Act (Act 473) of 2008(LSEA). This act allows the introduction and use of "Supplemental Materials" that are critical to established science (But only identifying origins of life, evolution, and climate change as targets).
Thi act was signed into law by Bobby Jindall and has been in effect for almost 6 years. BUT , as NCSE had expanded the stub in Wikipedia
Quote:

Bills that would have repealed the LSEA were introduced by Senator Karen Carter Peterson in 2011 and 2012. SB70 was introduced by Peterson to the Senate Education committee. After an hour long hearing, the bill failed to pass on a 1-5 vote. The bill was then deferred by the committee ending consideration on the legislation for the year.[30] SB374, introduced by Peterson in 2012, was rejected by the Senate Education committee in a 2-1 vote with four abstentions.[31] A third attempt to repeal the measure met again with failure when the Senate Education Committee voted to defer the bill on May 1, 2013
. It needs the support of a governor who understands biology who will support another attempt to defeat LSEA by Vetoing efforts to uphold the law. (Kinda weird but it would work)

LSEA skirts the USSC decision of 1987 by only ddressing the use of "supplementary resources", whereas this has grown to mean entire class experiences that are readings from the "Resources" like "Pandas and PEople" and CRI crap.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 09:39 am
@farmerman,
The growing "Charter School" phenom in the US, skirts around the issue by meeting minimal test requirements but in an often disingenuous manner.
Many of the charters of thee charter schools claim that they feel their kids are being brainwashed and then they start up their own school systems so that they can brainwash their kids without any QA checks. They do this without cracking a smile.
I heard in PA, that theres gonna be another test case that is based upon the fact that a charter school gets at least half of its funding from the state,
I learned about this while I WAS listening to a CBC broadcast. Seems the US news is either FAX or CNN mentalities T THE HELM..
0 Replies