Failed to understand the collocation: the waste represented by casualties...

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 05:23 pm
Does " the waste represented by sickness-induced casualties" sound natural or awkward?

Context:

A Pround Medical Tradition
In all wars up until the Russo-Japanese War, it had been known that the "silent enemy"-disease-took a greater toll of lives among fighting men than did bullets. With the outbreak of the conflict with Russia, Japan made history by resolving to learn from her mistakes. Chastened by the waste represented by sickness-induced casualties that she had suffered in her recent war with China, she paind an exstraordinary amount of attention to curbing battlefield illness. By the beginning of the twentieth century...

More:
http://www.google.co.jp/books?id=cprBEpxvexgC&printsec=frontcover&hl=zh-CN&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=true
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 477 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 07:39 pm
If you diagrammed this clause, it would be;

Chastened by - what?
the waste
what kind of waste?
represented by casualties
what kind of casualties?
sickness-induced.

oristarA

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:01 pm
@PUNKEY,
Is English your native language, PUNKEY?
I feel English is rather difficult for you.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 10:04 pm
@oristarA,
I have recommended that you learn to diagram (or parse) these sentences that give you so much trouble. It would help you.

I am born and raised in the US.

"Chastened by the waste represented by sickness-induced casualties that she had suffered in her recent war with China," could be an adverbial clause that modifies the verb of the sentence and tells "when."

Or it could be an adjective describing "she."

With that, I will not respond to your questions again.

0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 02:58 am
Waste and wastage are normal terms in military parlance for troops who are disabled or die as a result of causes other than enemy action. Someone writing of a military campaign in which a certain number of troops were lost to sickness might describe it as wastage, or normal wasteage. There is nothing odd about the terminology used here. It is standard military terminology. It does not sound awkward.
oristarA

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:16 am
@Setanta,
Excellent!
0 Replies