Kerry's folly: Kerry should focus on himself, not Bush.

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:16 pm
The polls are quite clear. The majority of people disagree with Bush's handling of the economy.

The majority of people disagree with Bush's handling of Iraq.

The majority of people disagree with the direction this nation is headed.

And yet, the majority of people plan to vote for Bush come November.

Bush's screw ups are all over the place, all over the news etc. People know Bush is a bad president.

People just think that Kerry would be just as bad. He's bashed repeatedly for having changed his mind and his reasons are too long to be squeezed onto a catchy phrase.

And people would rather stick wiht the evil they know than try the evil they don't know.

Kerry needs to show himself to be a good leader.

He needs to point to very specific detailed proposals of what he plans to do.

He needs to explain his positions on all of the issues very clearly.

He needs to pick out the specific causes such as medicinal marijuana that Bush is weak on.

He needs to specifically point to the parts of Bush's proposals that he disagrees with and tell Americans how he would amend them.

He needs to pick a specific stance on issues and stick with them, repeatedly state them till they are pounded into people's heads.

He needs to show people that he's not as liberal, as oppurtunistic or as inconsistent as republicans make him out to be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Jer

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:31 pm
ahhh...but every time he will open his mouth to talk about a plan, he will also open himself up to another avenue of attack.

I think that's why you rarely see very much real debate in politics. It's much safer to pick one or two things and say them over and over again.

The problem with our digital world is that it's the headlines that are read and accepted as truth, rarely the meat of the argument. People's attention spans aren't long enough for a politician to convey a complex argument or position to "Joe Public".

I would love to see both parties actually draft up plans of what they are going to do over the next four years...and then discuss them with the public.

How great would it be if they would identify what they consider to be the 10 biggest problems facing America and their proposed solutions to these problems?

Unfortunately I think that the viewership would be so low for such an event that advertisers wouldn't pay a dime for the airtime.

Maybe we could each pay $5 for the opportunity of seeing some independent forward-thinking by both candidates?

Hell, I'm Canadian and I'd pay $20 to see proper "pitches" to the public. Unfortunately that'd only be worth $5 of your dollars.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:29 pm
Smile
Yeah, I guess after all this time, if people are still believing bush's lies, nothing Kerry can say about them will change their minds. I do have a post which shows both of their stands on the issues, if that's any help.
Why is kerry refusing to release all his military records? That pisses me off.
If neither of you have, would you please go to my topic "selective service" and let me know what you think? Thanks. Oh, is that allowed here?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:42 pm
Kerry's Military Records
Here's the most of Kerry's military records. See other URL's at the bottom of the quote. [/color]

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-1131&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20040420%2F1805097737.htm&sc=1131

Quote:

Kerry Camp Offers Some Military Records
By NEDRA PICKLER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Amid questions about his military records, John Kerry's campaign on Tuesday provided documentation of Vietnam War injuries that included shrapnel wounds to his arms, legs and buttocks that earned him three Purple Hearts.

Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan said the campaign was in the process of compiling the rest of Kerry's naval record and planned to begin posting it on the Internet by day's end. Kerry said all his military records are available to the public during an appearance Sunday on NBC's ``Meet the Press.''

Meehan said the Massachusetts senator and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee requested a copy of his record from the Navy last month and received roughly 150 pages last week. He said the campaign was in the process of scanning images of the documents Tuesday and they would be posted on Kerry's Web site.

Conservatives, talk radio and some newspapers editorials have questioned whether Kerry was deserving of the three Purple Hearts, fueling questions about his Navy service from 1966 to 1970 and the seriousness of his injuries.

He served two tours of duty, four months on the USS Gridley frigate off Vietnam's shore and nearly five months as a swiftboat commander in the Mekong Delta. He volunteered for the second tour and earned all his medals during the second stint.

Meehan gave The Associated Press 13 pages that included documentation for the Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. The Boston Globe obtained some of the records last year for an extensive series on Kerry.

The documents also included declassified reports that explain Kerry's wounds that led to his Purple Heart awards. They show Kerry had shrapnel wounds in his left thigh after his boat came under intense fire on Feb. 20, 1969, and he suffered shrapnel wounds in his left buttocks and contusions on his right forearm when a mine detonated close to his boat on March 13, 1969.

The campaign could not locate a similar report for Kerry's original Purple Heart. As evidence that Kerry was wounded, Meehan showed The Associated Press a ``Sick Call Treatment Record'' from Kerry's personal files that included a medic's written note dated Dec. 9, 1968.

``Shrapnel in left arm above elbow. Shrapnel removed and appl bacitracin dressing. Ret to Duty.''

Documentation for the second two injuries show that Kerry was deemed to be in good condition and returned to active duty after treatment. The documentation does not describe the severity of the injuries. A third Purple Heart meant Kerry could be reassigned out of Vietnam, and a document dated March 17, 1969, said Kerry requested duty as a personal aid in Boston, New York or the Washington, D.C., area.

Meehan said although Kerry could have asked to stay in Vietnam, it was the Navy's decision to request that he be reassigned. Kerry left the country in early April 1969.

Bush campaign manager Ken Mehlman accused Kerry's campaign of waffling on the release of his military records, saying the campaign's position on Tuesday to release the records in ``due diligence'' is contrary to Kerry's comments on ``Meet the Press'' that the records would be made public immediately.

``Senator Kerry's record of nondisclosure and his flip-flop on this issue should concern voters,'' Mehlman said.

Meehan responded, ``Senator Kerry's record on the military is one we are running on, not running from. We are happy to compare Senator Kerry's record of service to anybody in the Bush campaign who has or has not served.''

Bush was in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War, but did not serve in combat.

According to the Pentagon, the Silver Star is awarded for ``gallantry in action against an opposing armed force'' and the Bronze Star is for ``heroic or meritorious achievement of service, not involving aerial flight in connection with operations against an opposing armed force. Bronze 'V' device worn to denote valor.''

The Purple Heart is ``awarded for wounds or death as a result of an act of any opposing armed force, as a result of an international terrorist attack or as a result of military operations while serving as part of a peacekeeping force.''

On the Net:

http://www.johnkerry.com

Facsimilies of Kerry's Purple Heart citations are available at:

http://wid.ap.org/documents/kerry/purplehearts.pdf

Facsimilies of Kerry's bronze and silver star citations are available at:

http://wid.ap.org/documents/kerry/stars.pdf

Facsimilies of reports describing Kerry's wounds are available at:

http://wid.ap.org/documents/kerry/actionreports.pdf

04/20/04 18:05
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:41 pm
The Media
The Media assasinated Dean and boosted Kerry because Kerry is a weak candidate and even if a disaster strikes BushCorpse they would be alright with Kerry.

Kerry should dumb down and be more like W. The American people mostly go by perception, not substance. Anything complicated is rejected. It assults their 3 minute attention span. Americans don't like intellectuals. It makes them feel inferior. W makes them comfortable.

Unless gas price spiked to $5 per gal. 10 Million are out of work and 50,000 American troops die in Iraq BushCorpse will win.

I am starting to think that it's better if BushCorpse win this election and the Dems gain advantage in either House or Senate. Of course, Rove v Wade will be overturned and the debt in America will be so dire that other countries will bid to own America. The Middle Class will be lowered to the Working Poor and the envirnmental polutions will kill more Americans than any war in the ME. BuschCorpse doesn't care about all that because they serve the wealthy who will be shielded from any unpleasantness and will get richer with outsourcing, re-location of mfg and the MIC will get even fatter.

The MC who will more and more be Working Poor will whine but BushCorpse will ingore them as usual until the next election where they will be treated like mushrooms again and pandered to.

Fug it! I am going to move to another country if BushCorpse gets re-selected so I will watch Amerika slide down the toiliet and shed a few tears while I sip a drink down on the beach.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:33 am
Thanks, Charli. I heard on the news last night that Kerry has decided to release ALL his records, so I feel a bit better.
Have candidates and/or sitting presidents always been expected to make this public information, or is this relatively new?
Pistoff, I was pinning my hopes on Dean. I found him to be more honest than the others, and he told it like he saw it, long before the other candidates started talking about Bush's trickery.
I'm hoping Kerry chooses Edwards as his running mate. That might work.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:53 am
Re: Kerry's folly: Kerry should focus on himself, not Bush.
Centroles wrote:
The polls are quite clear. The majority of people disagree with Bush's handling of the economy.

The majority of people disagree with Bush's handling of Iraq.

The majority of people disagree with the direction this nation is headed.

Could you please supply polling data to back up the above statements. I have not heard any recent polling data and would be interested in where this is coming from. I know a lot of dumb people, but I have a hard time believing a majority of people think Bush is doing a lousy job but are dumb enough to still vote for him.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:11 am
Rasmussan tracking poll - April 20, 2004

Bush 46% Kerry 44%
Election 2004 Presidential Ballot

Bush 46%
Kerry 44%
Other 4%
Not Sure 5%
RasmussenReports.com
Rasmussen Reports Home

Tuesday April 20, 2004--The latest Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll shows President George W. Bush with 46% of the vote and Senator John F. Kerry with 44%.

The race has stabilized for now. Bush has been at either 45% or 46% for ten of the last eleven days. Kerry has between 44% and 46% of the vote for twelve of the past thirteen days.

With the 2004 Election remaining close and stable, Rasmussen Reports has taken a look at Presidential History to examine the different ways Republicans and Democrats win the White House. While Election 2004 is a referendum on the incumbent, it's always interesting to place today's news in historical context.

Data released yesterday shows that Bush is seen as a better leader than Kerry by 47% of American voters. Thirty-four percent (34%) say Kerry is the better leader.

Also, 49% of voters now say that the U.S. and its allies are winning the War on Terror. That's an improvement over the past couple of weeks, but down from last month and the month before.

At Rasmussen Reports, we are pleased to introduce a new feature in the top left corner of our home page to keep you informed of upcoming releases.

The Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll is updated daily by noon Eastern.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Presidential_Tracking_Poll.htm
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:22 am
suzzy, where is your post, that would be interesting to read.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:24 am
Here's an interesting story related to this topic. I can't get it to copy, but here's the link:
The Double Positive
Candidates Vie for Hopeful Hearts and Hate-filled Minds
by Joe Keohane
http://www.weeklydig.com/dig/content/6344.aspx
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:48 am
A "re-write" of yesterday's "news"
Here's a rewrite of yesterday's article by Nedra Pickler. Pretty much the same except one of the URL's at the bottom of it now makes the "disclosures" available in html instead of pdf documents.[/color]

Quote:
Have candidates and/or sitting presidents always been expected to make this public information, or is this relatively new?

It seems this is a fairly new "phenomenon" with the Information Age. In other administrations (about other Presidents), what you saw was what you got. And, very little "news" about their peccadilloes - until after their deaths.

[/color]

Re-write of Nedra Pickler's article
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:33 am
suzzy

I went to you article and I came with thinking that I wish that politicians wouldn't listen to new pundits and the fickle minds of we the public and stick with what they really feel regardless if it makes them win the race or not.

It said that Gephart's (probably spelled wrong) miserable failure line is what caused him to have quit early. But I don't think so, in fact that was the only thing that held the voters attention; it is just that he had nothing else to say after that. It said that what caused Dean to loose was his too much hyped up yelling spree, again I don't agree. I think it was that before the Iowa caucus thing he was loosing his appeal by repeating himself so much, it was like his heart wasn't in it anymore or something. The reason that Wesley Clark didn't do well was because people couldn't reconcile his before approval of Bush then all the sudden switching 180 degrees, it just seemed odd, but people liked him for all that. The reason that Kerry is leading in the democratic party is because when he speaks he seems like a strong president already. I think when kerry and bush actually debate face to face, kerry will win out over bush any day of the week. However, I don't know if that will make too much a difference. The bottom line is that a lot rural and middle and southern states are republican minded with the same values, like anti-abortion and the gay marriage thing and for them those kinds of issues takes precedence over anything else including the economy and wars. (IMO)
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
Kerry would certainly win in debates, I should think.
I can't see Bush doing a great job all by his lonesome. Clinton/Gore did get the popular vote three times in a row, so I really don't think the nation is quite as uptight as we are led to believe.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 03:17 pm
Clinton/Gore did get the popular vote three times in a row, so I really don't think the nation is quite as uptight as we are led to believe.

Yea, I know I thought about that after I wrote what I did.

However, it is like now religion is talked about all the time and people start to make decisions based on things like morals and most people think democrats are all liberal atheists. I guess that is why Dean tried to push out his "christian roots" in the south that didn't really go too well because it just seemed phony. I will be glad when the phase of ultra outward christianity thing is faded out. It just gets on my nerves.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:09 pm
Yeah, me too.
0 Replies