What Do You Do While Waiting For The Paint To Dry

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:20 pm
Right now I am rushing to get several things done for a computer store owner that wants to display my art and try and sell it. This guy is a retired EE running a hole in the wall but busy computer shop and my work appealed to him the problem is I do not have enough stuff to put up.

So I have been trying to finish the several project I had in the works prior to my hospital stay and now it seems like they will never dry.

Any ideas on what to do while I watch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,519 • Replies: 25
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:29 pm
Have a martini and rent 'The Thin Man'. Laughing Or, just relax. Question: do you get the same anxious feelings that I do when things just don't happen quick enough? It's a nightmare for me...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:42 pm
That would be a big yes!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:01 pm
I don't know anything about art, but could you use hairspray to "set" the paint so it seals the paint and at least the top layer of paint dries quicker? Presumably people will not be touching the painting - the hairspray might make it sticky to the touch - Is that a problem?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:03 pm
maybe switch from oils to acrylic?!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:14 pm
I have nothing to offer, but I wanted to be part of this thread.

It just appealed to me for some reason.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
truth
Joanne, I was also going to recommend acrylic, but for this particular episode that's beside the point. You know, of course, that you cannot paint acrylic over the oils. If you are not going to frame them why not carefully hang the paintings as they are with a sign, "Do Not Touch -- Wet Paint". Laughing
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:02 pm
SP and JLN I am using acrylic paint I still I want it to dry faster. It might be taking along time cause there could be so many layers. Yikes what if it cracks like mud.

Heeven I am not sure about the hair spray but I could try the hair dryer.

So Gus what is it about my never ending battle with anxiety that intrigues you?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:10 pm
Sorry Joanne...I did not mean to be flippant. I
took an oil painting to an art show and warned
everyone that it was still wet. As it had a lot of
sap green that refused to dry, I was afraid that
it would transfer to one of the volunteers who
was hanging the show! Rolling Eyes

I know how to SLOW the drying process with
acrylic (acrylic retarder) but not
speed it up.....A hairdryer might work if you
don't hold it too close to the paint.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 04:49 am
No problem SP I did not take you comment a flip. Just real. I wish I could use oils but I have such a small place I am afraid that by the time the paint dryed I would have it everywhere plus Carlotta and the Supreme Bean might suffer from the fumes.

Oil is something I wish to move to when I have a place seperate from my living area. Or a place with better ventilation. It seems that oil would be more forgivin since they dry slower.

But then it might be easier for me to make mud since I would probably hover and change and change until I ruined it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 04:53 am
I say, sell the paintings wet, and tell them it's "interactive art", like fingerpainting, and let them express themselves by recreating the painting as a team....corporate team building event idea....package it right, I'll bet they would go for it.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:09 am
Surely they would Cav, those artsy fartsie types will believe anything.

But first we need an art critic in the NY Times to say that it is the latestest and greatest and they, the art patrons of the world, would flock to it like flies on you know what.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:18 am
All you need is a good agent/promoter. Then the critics will come.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:25 am
Years ago there was a minimalist exhibit at the Freer in D.C. On artist just put a pile of wrapped candy in the middle of one of the galleries and videoed the people who viewed it.

All the adults stood around saying what does this mean while the kids all helped themselves. It was the only minimalist exhibit I ever understood.

Another favorite where a friend of mine was invited to an opening in a gallery in NYC, she sat on the art, it was just a room full of chairs. The artist nervously asked her to not sit on his art! Kelly said, "what art".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:28 am
Heh heh...I'm coming back to this thread in a bit, to express some opinions on art and promotion of art.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 12:16 pm
truth
Joanne, I suspect acrylic paint dries much faster than you realize. Granted, it can be "damaged" while it is in the curing process of becoming totally dried, it is dry to the touch very soon. I wouldn't ship a painting before it is completely dried for fear of damage from vibrations and percussive impact and scraping. But to carry the works to a gallery yourself and hang them, no sweat. Did you use them with will a lot of retarder medium such that they dry almost as slowly as oils?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:24 pm
Nope none! I went today to the shop where I am setting up. It is where I got my new computer.

When I was filling out the stuff for a 90 day cash deal the owner was having trouble with my last name so I gave him one of my cards. And he wanted to know about my painting. Turns out he has a huge interest in art and invited me to hang some paintings in the shop. So off I go tomorrow to install.

He wants lots of color and boy is he going to get it. I hope he likes pink and red, heh.

Since he and his co-owner are tekkies/EEs I hope they will take digital pictures for me and send them to me via e-mail then I can post them here at A2k.

I have a point and shoot digital but I cannot seem to point and shoot right as the pics come out very weird and I cannot figure out how to up load them. Of course it is not all the camera's fault when all I get is half of what I am trying to take a picture of, duh.

Probably I should go to the A2k FAQ and try to learn.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
truth
Me too, JD. But I just HATE to learn technological things. It almost amounts to a phobia. I confess: I'm still getting used to the ball point pen.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:01 pm
JLN you tease
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:14 pm
During the recent San Francisco Gathering, osso took us to several art galleries. One had a display on the floor of silver wrappings (kisses), and we were encouraged to eat the candy - which in essence changed the 'art' work. Wink
0 Replies