There is bias everywhere...

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 12:51 pm
Let's just admit it, just about everyone, just about every organization (including any news sources that provide anaylisis) have an agenda and is biased towards making it happen.

They twist the data, exclude contradictory information in order to make the case for their agenda stronger.

I was just wondering, is there anyone organization out there dedicated to presenting true, raw, unbiased data regarding various policy initiatives.

One that presents all the data on whether the government or private charities waste more money. Whether the government or charities have more success, are better equipped to help people etc. Whether faith based organizations are really more efficent than nonreligious ones. Whether local government does a better job of handling social programs than the federal govt.

One that presents all the information on the drug war, how it's being spent, how effective it has been in curbing drug use.

One that presents all the information on precisely what effects decriminilization of marijuana had. On the addictive properties of marijuana, on it's usefulness as a medical drug for treatment of certain disorders.

One that presents all the information on how much sentencing someone to death costs versus putting them in jail for life. On how often people who were sentenced to death were later proven innocent.

One that presents all the information on how much law suits cost businesses, just how many lawsuits can be considered reckless.

One that presents all the valid information that republicans use to jusitify their policies along with all the valid information that democrats to oppose these very same policies.

And about a billion other topics that we continuously argue about.

I want unbiased anaylisis, unfiltered raw data, and a reliance on facts and facts alone.

Does such an organization exist?

Please post a link to one if you know of it.

Can such an organization concievably exist or does it fly in the face of human nature?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,371 • Replies: 32
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
Simple answer, a resounding NO. There is so much crap going on behind the curtain that the public buys into conspiracy theory, for lack of any truth or fact given by either side for their policies/agendas. We, the people, will simply never really know, and it doesn't matter who is in power.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:18 pm
but surely, there has to be some organization with such a purpose out there somewhere.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
I've always liked these guys. They seem balanced.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:24 pm
I think that NPR does as good a job as possible. They allow both sides to present their case in a way that is fair. They consistantly explain both sides of the major arguments.

I would not say they don't have a bias.

Being as unbiased as possible is one of their goals. This is evident in their product.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
Any organization with a purpose has a bias. Thems just the facts. It's human nature. Humans are just far too wrapped up in their own culture, religion, social conditioning, to wake up and realize that nobody is right. The cure for this global disease, in my mind, is a massive realization that there is indeed a collective consciousness, a la Jung, and to tap into that reveals that despite our disputes and gripes, we are a family at heart. I doubt any organization would be able to pull this off though.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:48 pm
I like that link Tarantulus.

They seem well researched and balanced.

Thanks for the link.

I agree NPR is a pretty good source too.

But neither of these groups examines many of the major policies out there in depth.

Neither of them took a good hard look at the data behind social security, the drug plan, and welfare. Neither of them looked into how welfare can be reformed, how social security can be reformed, how we can have a drug plan that doesn't cost as much from the perspectives of both republicans and democrats and the data and intentions they flout.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:58 pm
I hereby deem this thread bookmark-worthy, and thus declare this thread bookmarked!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
Edit (Moderator): Fixed the thread stretching. Please be considerate to the others.

there sure is byass, i had mine separated and pierced...ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Embarrassed Rolling Eyes

SMELT CHECK: CLICK HERE
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:03 pm
May we consider this a "Kickycan Seal of Approval"! Very Happy
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:04 pm
wait a minute i have not even bought any......
how could i possibly be sold assed.......no i meant buy assed,
wait not that either...................
how much do you want to pay any way?????
It might as rain until september

did that do it sorry all !
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
Well I'm freaking irritated at this thread. NPR used to be a left wing haven and liberal advocate. Now you guys are making me have to listen to see what has changed. I don't have time for this. How dare you rattle the bushes?

(looking for the station. . .)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:06 pm
It doesn't matter rather skys are grey or blue........September.......It might as well rain until september

and hit the road jack played next.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:19 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
May we consider this a "Kickycan Seal of Approval"! Very Happy

Yes, you may. And you may bank on the fact that any thread with this seal will be at least mildly interesting. Enjoy! Smile
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:31 pm
I think NPR has improved from what they used to be. They're still listing to port a little, but maybe some of the criticism has done some good. I do enjoy listening to them when the AM "News Talk" stations are all playing commercials or being consumed by banter. NPR has a tendency to air more "fluff" pieces than I would like. But their commercials are shorter. Very Happy

How about Slashdot? News articles from all over, and the only bias is in the comments of the people who post them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:34 pm
Okay, who stretched the page?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:36 pm
Algis...LOSE SOME OF THE FREAKIN' EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:28 pm
Help! Help! I'm caught in some sort of scrolling nightmare! Foxfyre, isn't it best to blame NPR, which I've never heard of, than the thread here? Whatever the media says, the truth still eludes everyone, unless of course, you are James Bond. Yeah, that would be cool...
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Yes, there is bias everywhere.

Even in the Bible and even in computer programs.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:43 pm
Algis, could you go back and edit out all the damn exclamation points and question marks please, before we all kill you?
0 Replies