George Zimmerman update.

BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 07:09 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Benh2JQIQAAMRAk.jpg
Quote:

(CNN) -- George Zimmerman, who sold his first painting on eBay for a whopping $100,000, is at it again.
And this time his subject is the woman who charged him with second-degree murder: Special Prosecutor Angela Corey.
The painting, a swirl of bright red and yellow, shows Corey with her fingers pinched.
The caption, in all caps, says, "I have this much respect for the American judicial system - Angie C."
It's an artistic depiction of a much-reprinted photograph of Corey from the news conference when she announced the charge against Zimmerman.
CNN left phone and email messages with the prosecutor's office for a response.
Zimmerman's brother, Robert, posted a photo of the painting on Twitter on Wednesday night.

"Very proud to introduce @TherealGeorgeZ 's latest..."Angie". Sale info & details available tomorrow."
Last month, the former neighborhood watchman listed an original painting on eBay: An 18-by-24-inch canvas featuring a blue, waving American flag with the words, "God, one nation, with liberty and justice for all" emblazoned across it.
The winning bid on it was $100,099.99.
George Zimmerman painting nears $100k
"Everyone has been asking what I have been doing with myself. I found a creative, way to express myself, my emotions and the symbols that represent my experiences," the item description for that painting read. "My art work allows me to reflect, providing a therapeutic outlet and allows me to remain indoors."

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 06:41 pm
Quote:
ORLANDO, Florida (AP) — The Associated Press has demanded that George Zimmerman halt the sale of one of his paintings because the news agency says it directly copies an AP photo.

RELATED: Zimmerman's latest painting mocks prosecutor

Zimmerman's painting depicts Jacksonville-based prosecutor Angela Corey holding her thumb and fingers together. An apparently made-up quote Zimmerman added to the piece reads, "I have this much respect for the American judicial system." Corey's office prosecuted Zimmerman for the 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder last summer.

Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr., posted an image of the painting Wednesday on Twitter and tweeted a day later that they were in negotiations with possible buyers.

A letter with the AP's demands said that Zimmerman's painting was a direct copy of an AP photo taken at the April 2012 news conference where Corey announced Zimmerman would be charged with murder. It was taken for the AP by freelancer Rick Wilson. The news cooperative asked that any sale be blocked — and that, if there has been a sale, that the AP be paid damages.

The AP sent the letter to Jayne Weintraub, one of a handful of attorneys who has recently represented Zimmerman. Weintraub said she no longer represents Zimmerman but said she will forward the letter to him.

"George Zimmerman clearly directly copied an AP photo to create his painting of Florida State Attorney Angela Corey," AP spokesman Paul Colford said in a written statement.

Zimmerman sold another painting on eBay last month, with a winning bid of $100,099.99.

George Zimmerman's exact whereabouts are unknown, and an email address and phone number for him could not be found. His brother, who has frequently served as his spokesman, did not immediately respond to an email.

On Twitter, George Zimmerman wrote Friday evening: "No worries AP, I'll just take whatever U sue me for off your tab when I'm done suing you :-) Or... I could put out how much U offered me 2.."

Responding to Zimmerman's tweet, Colford, the AP spokesman, said: "We don't know what he's talking about."

Martin's fatal shooting sparked a nationwide debate about race and self-defense. Zimmerman was accused of racially profiling Martin and said he shot the teen to protect himself.

Artist Shepard Fairey got in a legal dispute with the AP after he used an AP photo in his famous Barack Obama "HOPE" poster. Fairey sued the AP in an effort to get a court declaration that he did not violate AP's copyrights when he made the Obama image. The AP countersued, saying the uncredited, uncompensated use of its picture both violated copyright laws and was a threat to journalism.

Claims between the news agency and Fairey were settled in 2011, with Fairey agreeing to pay the AP $1.6 million.

CONNECT
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:07 pm
I don't care.

Joe(As long as he doesn't shoot anybody or himself)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'm mildly interested in the subject of painting from news photos, but I essentially don't care about the issue of Zimmerman doing it. Value in the art world has hiked up to more ridiculous than usual (great new yorker article a few months ago really opened my eyes on that), but even though I have co-owned two galleries thirty years apart, I was never all that interested in the financial side of stuff. Which, if you knew me and my befuddling financial sensibility, you'd understand.
BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
but even though I have co-owned two galleries thirty years apart, I was never all that interested in the financial side of stuff. Which, if you knew me and my befuddling financial sensibility, you'd understand.

Own galleries but did not care about the financial side!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I can only hope your co-owners had a sense of humor.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 09:13 pm
@BillRM,
I have known many, I would include myself, who have led lives in disregard of the financial side.

Joe(we have no money, yet we possess Joy)Nation
]
roger

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 09:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
Good excuse. Mind if I steal it?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 09:47 pm
@BillRM,
Of course we cared, but in both places we were not in then hot zones re money romping. My last gallery - we had several hundred people show up for the monthly openings. We had some wonderful sales but also months with zero or close to it, being in a small populated area. Luckily, we had another business in design.

My first place, we leased with seven broken windows in a gang area. That's arguable, let's say 5 blocks from deep ****. This is now the too upscale to abide in Venice (if they are still calling it Venice). The street went up and down and up and down for many years. Sarai Ribicoff was killed there.

As partners in both galleries, we each had our ways. The first gallery, the partner was greatly more knowledgeable about art than I was, but I paid most of the lease on my ordinary salary from daytime work. Plus, damn her, I say laughing, I came home from work and found a whole group of theater people waiting for me to show up (we were looking for artists to sublet). We sublet to them for rehearsals and shows. I married one of them.

The second gallery was in a lightly populated area. We did well, considering.
We would generally agree about whose art we showed. She had a great design background already. I by then was more art aware, or so I thought, and when we looked at things we both said what we thought. I later heard her say what I said to people walking through. But - she was the saleswoman, and if there had been any differential in the beginning re art (maybe in my mind), she swiftly jumped it.

I'm am your non-sales person. I'll discuss stuff as the day is long but I am apparently inculcated with an anti manipulation button.

http://www.virtualvenice.info/writings/sarai.htm

This was after Ann and I had the gallery, but just after my husband and I married and lived, oh, I'll guess ten blocks away.
I don't know about the site I just linked, haven't read through.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 05:06 pm
@roger,
Be my guest.

Joe(no regrets)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:04 am
Rockhead

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
no way.

when he starts to lose, he'll pull his gun and blow his opponent away again...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:21 am
@BillRM,
I 'd love to bid on an Original paper target from Zimmy
with his real bullet holes in it !

(no fony holes; only real holes)

I 'd start the bidding at $1,OOO

David
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:11 am
https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10847536_683850441724340_7117138802286652290_o.jpg
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 01:37 pm
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/us/justice-dept-wont-charge-george-zimmerman-in-trayvon-martin-killing.html

ustice Dept. Won’t Charge George Zimmerman in Trayvon Martin Killing
By LIZETTE ALVAREZFEB. 24, 2015
Photo

MIAMI — The Justice Department on Tuesday closed its investigation into the shooting death three years ago of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teenager in a hoodie who became a symbol of racial profiling and expansive self-defense laws, without filing hate-crime charges against the gunman George Zimmerman.

The department began a civil rights investigation shortly after a national furor erupted over Mr. Martin’s death, which set off protests, demands for justice and an emotional response from President Obama. The shooting was the first in a string of racially tinged cases involving the death of young black men that have prompted a rethinking of the nation’s criminal justice system and police procedure.

Mr. Zimmerman was acquitted in a state court of second-degree murder in 2013; some jurors said they believed that Mr. Zimmerman had shot Mr. Martin, 17, in self-defense.

“Though a comprehensive investigation found that the high standard for a federal hate crime prosecution cannot be met under the circumstances here, this young man’s premature death necessitates that we continue the dialogue and be unafraid of confronting the issues and tensions his passing brought to the surface,” Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said in a statement.

On Tuesday, officials from the Justice Department and the F.B.I. met with Mr. Martin’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, to inform them about the decision not to bring federal charges.

Since Mr. Zimmerman’s acquittal, he has had numerous run-ins with the law. Last month, he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault, accused of throwing a wine bottle at his girlfriend. In 2013, shortly after his acquittal, he was arrested after a heated fight with another girlfriend, but the woman asked prosecutors not to press charges. And in 2014, the police in Lake Mary, Fla., said a driver had told officers that Mr. Zimmerman threatened him during what was described as a road rage incident.

The federal inquiry was started to pursue “an independent investigation” into the shooting after local police officials and prosecutors were slow to arrest and charge Mr. Zimmerman; they argued that Florida’s self-defense laws would make it difficult to prove a criminal case. Gov. Rick Scott then appointed a special prosecutor who eventually charged Mr. Zimmerman.

After scores of interviews about Mr. Zimmerman’s character and actions, as well as the circumstances of the shooting, the Justice Department has concluded that not enough evidence exists to charge Mr. Zimmerman, who is part Peruvian, with a hate crime, Mr. Martin’s parent said.

Mr. Zimmerman’s former lawyer, Mark O’Mara, has said that there is no evidence his client was racist, citing the fact he had black friends and saying that he had mentored two black youths.

The bar for bringing federal hate crime charges is high. Federal prosecutors have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Zimmerman intended to kill Mr. Martin simply because he was black. Negligence and recklessness are not enough.

The Department of Justice is also conducting two separate civil rights investigations into the shooting death of Michael Brown, who was killed by a police officer in Ferguson, Mo., last August. In that case, a white police officer shot and killed an unarmed black 18-year-old, touching off sometimes violent demonstrations and triggering a debate about the use of police force in minority neighborhoods. The Justice Department is expected to complete those investigations soon.

The first of the two investigations focuses on the conduct of the police officer who shot Mr. Brown. The second is a broader investigation into the Ferguson Police Department.

Mr. Zimmerman’s case also swirled, to a large extent, around issues of race. Prosecutors said Mr. Zimmerman forced a confrontation with Mr. Martin in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26, 2012, because Mr. Martin was an unfamiliar tall black teenager in a hoodie walking around Mr. Zimmerman’s gated community one rainy night. Mr. Martin was in Sanford with his father, visiting his father’s fiancé, who lived in the gated community.

A rash of burglaries in the area had heightened Mr. Zimmerman’s concerns and, as the neighborhood watch leader, he said, he was suspicious of Mr. Martin. He got out of his car — ignoring the advice of a police dispatcher — and followed Mr. Martin, setting off a confrontation that led to Mr. Martin’s death, prosecutors said.

Angry at Mr. Zimmerman and feeling threatened, prosecutors said, Mr. Martin pushed him to the ground, punched him and slammed his head into the pavement. Mr. Zimmerman, flat on his back, took out a gun and killed Mr. Martin. He told the police it was self-defense.

Matt Apuzzo contributed reporting from Washington.

NEXT IN U.S.
0 Replies