How deal with hot wire under kitchen sink?

Odoner

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:03 am
I removed a garbage disposer under my kitchen sink, leaving me with a hot wire. I would like to keep the wire in case down the line I decide to put a disposer back in. Can I just screw a j-box to the inside of my cabinet, put wire nuts on the ends of the wires, insert them into the box, and close it up? Would this suffice for safety -and be up to code? If not, what should I do? Many thanks for your help. Erik.

bahtah

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:53 am
@Odoner,
If the NMB cable is on the back wall under the sink, install a surface mounted 4S j-box and a duplex receptacle using a raised industrial cover. Then when you do get another disposal you can install it using a small appliance cord and plug it into the receptacle. If you don't want to add the receptacle now, install the box, cap the wires and install a 4s blank cover.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:18 pm
@bahtah,
Bah I'm continually impressed by the tech abilities, in particular electrical, possessed by many of our participants. Without revealing anything anything critical to your ID, what's your background and what in particular attracted you to a2k
Odoner

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:37 pm
@bahtah,
@bahtah,

Many thanks! Because have way too many things on my plate right now, will opt for surface mounted 4s j-box with blank cover and come back to it if/when needed. Your help is very much appreciated!
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:08 pm
@dalehileman,
I was attracted because I am retired and still would like to help out people with problems. My electrical contractors license is inactive now but I still keep it. I taught apprentices for twelve years, contracted for fifteen years and worked in the wholesale electrical business helping engineers with information on GE equipment and providing electrical gear and lighting packages to contractors.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:04 pm
@bahtah,
Bah thanks for that honest report, your accomplishments are indeed notable. Somewhat OT but I wonder if you've noticed how a2k seems to attract tech types. If no trouble, what drew you to this site. Might even warrant separate thread
0 Replies