Why is there a double standard for men who are raped or molested?

2tfx

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 03:24 pm
female victims of rape are immediately given support, while the rapist is sent to a long prison term. But men who are raped or boys who get molested are considered as "Homosexuals" when assaulted by another man or "lucky " when a boy is molested by a older women. Shouldn't men get the same support as victims?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,781 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed

chai2

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 03:32 pm
@2tfx,
Where are you getting this information from? Or is this just your opinion?

I'm not aware of any boys or men that have been raped that have then been considered gay because of that.

I also don't think that boys/men molested by older women are considered any more lucky than a girl/women molested by a man.
Zerzin97

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 03:35 pm
@2tfx,
I am 17 and in the closet and have been subject to inappropriate contact with an older male. There IS support and sympathy once people get over the initial shock of hearing of such an unusual situation. My mother pulled a gun on my attacker. In the end she didn't shoot him,but she should have,because he only got like 2 years in jail. She regrets that A LOT. The main issue is that most guys don't tell,because they are ashamed. If more guys told sentences would be stiffer.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 03:49 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Where are you getting this information from? Or is this just your opinion?

I'm not aware of any boys or men that have been raped that have then been considered gay because of that.

I also don't think that boys/men molested by older women are considered any more lucky than a girl/women molested by a man.

I think he pulled it out of his ass Cool
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 06:58 pm
@2tfx,
Maybe because it's as the French judge said: "Men and women are different."
To which a man in the gallery shouted, "Vive la difference!"

Joking aside, circumstances alter cases. Equating the penalties is to equate the circumstances, and for obvious reasons we can't presume the circumstances to be equal. "Shouldn't men get the same support as victims?
"Shouldn't? Oh yeah, definitely they "should". Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Question2

Thu 15 May, 2014 02:01 am
@2tfx,
Its because society attributes double standards to most things.

Its absolutely terrible for a woman to get raped, but for men, they are considered "lucky" or "faggots".

According to gender stereotypes, men always want sex. If they dont want sex, they must be gay. This stereotype is heavily perpetuated by women...who frequently accuse of men of being gay if their advances aren't recipocrated. To imagine how ridiculous this is, imagine if a guy asked you out, was turned down, and then accused you of being a lesbian.

I have religious friends who were accused of being gay by women who didn't want to wait to wait till marriage, or were pissed that the guy wasn't making a move on them. Or they convinced themselves that the guy was cheating on them with another woman, and therefore wasn't interested in them sexually.

Ironically in olden times, rape wasnt considered a big deal because "oh well you are just a woman, you probably liked it anyway".

If a man got raped by another man, he is accused of being a faggot because he wasnt strong enough to defend himself. Gender stereotypes again, if a man cant fight, he is a "faggot" and "not a real man". Meanwhile there is no expectation for a woman to defend herself, so if a woman is attacked, she immediately receives sympathy because it wasnt possible for her to defend herself anyway, nevermind that they could have taken martial arts or purchased a self defense tool.

But its considered completely unacceptable for a man to not fight his attacker/s off.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Thu 15 May, 2014 02:03 am
@chai2,
He is most likely referring to men in prison.
Buttermilk

Thu 15 May, 2014 02:11 am
I have to concur with Question2. I think women subject men to the same gender stereotypes as men do towards women. I made a thread regarding gender stereotypes some time ago that "no woman here dare touch that thread" highlighting the fact that there are difference between the two sexes in how we may illicit our response to stereotypes. There is very little support of men in prisons who are raped. A lot of times the psychological trauma that comes with being overpowered and raped in prison are definitely post-traumatic and in some instances, leads to suicide.

Although support groups exist, there is very little outrage among the female counter-parts of men in prison who are raped, yet there are supporters both male and female for children who are molested my educated guess would be the robbing of the innocence of small children as opposed to the men who have been judged and convicted by society of serious crimes.

The fact is more men are raped than women, but I think the determining factor is that it happens in a correctional facility as opposed to being at some party, or somewhere outside a correctional facility:

In 2008, more than 216,000 men in prison were sexually assaulted as opposed to the reported 90,479 outside of prison (See:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449454/More-men-raped-US-women-including-prison-sexual-abuse.html)
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 15 May, 2014 08:09 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

He is most likely referring to men in prison.

What makes you think that, especially when he specifically also mentions older women molesting boys?

Oh yeah, duh, it was so that you could go off and discuss you own agenda.

Nice segue, barely noticible.
0 Replies