Terror attack at election season.

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:51 am
Quote:

WASHINGTON The Bush administration said Sunday that it was taking seriously the possibility of a major terrorist strike in the United States in late autumn aimed at influencing the Nov. 2 elections..
Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, said the administration was preparing for such an attack. "We are actively looking at that possibility, actively trying to see - to make certain that we are responding appropriately," she said..
José María Aznar, the former Spanish prime minister, issued a similar warning. He said in an interview broadcast Sunday that terrorists might seek to affect the U.S. elections as they apparently had the Spanish vote. Aznar's party suffered an unexpected defeat days after the March 11 bombings in Madrid that killed 191 people..
Aznar said that a pre-election attack in the United States was "possible, very possible," adding, "They will be as harmful as they can possibly be, if they can do it.".
Aznar's party, which supported the Iraq war, saw its lead in opinion polls evaporate after the bombings. The new prime minister, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, said Sunday that he would withdraw Spanish troops from Iraq as soon as possible..
Rice said that the White House had to take very seriously the possibility that terrorists had learned a lesson from Spain..

http://www.iht.com/articles/515674.htm

Should there be a terror attack prior to the presidential election will it, do you believe, influence the outcome. If so how and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 21
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:03 am
IMO this is a silly conjecture. In Spain the choice of candidates was starkly different. The US election promises two candidates alarmingly similar in their Foreign Affairs agenda.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:13 am
I agree panzade.

Bush and Kerry are even related: cousins.

All that separate them are the social agendas. This is enough for me to vote for Kerry though.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:15 am
I would suggest it is just another administration ploy. The theme being the terrorists want you to elect Kerrey because he will bend to their will. As the Spanish did. There is nothing that stimulates a negative vote from the American voter than that type of pressure from abroad. IMO the only place where this administration excels is in sly and underhanded politics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:20 am
panzade said
Quote:
The US election promises two candidates alarmingly similar in their Foreign Affairs agenda.

Could you be specific?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:34 am
Au, perhaps I'm ill informed on Kerry's Foreign Affairs platform. If so, I would welcome your thoughts on the dissimilarities. Sincerely
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:43 am
It is clear to me that a terrorist attack in the US would be very good for the Bush campaign. I am wondering if the terrorists understand this -- and how this would effect their decision.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
Panzande

I asked you first! Laughing
Bush's only foreign affairs agenda is "My way or the highway." As such he has antagonized and made the US the most hated nation on the planet.
I don't foresee anything in Kerrey's demeanor or history that would indicate that he policies would be in any way similar to Bush's .
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:39 am
Nothing rallies a dwindling public opinion more than a staged terrorist event.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 01:32 pm
I don't see much in Kerry's platform that indicates a wholesale deviation from this administrations policies. There you go. We'll have to wait and see.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:25 pm
panzade
I do not see very much similarity between the two.
Would Kerrey invaded Iraq. No
Would Kerrey have denigrated the UN. No
Would Kerrey have alienated the entire free world. No
Would Kerrey understand that negotiations are a two way street.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
It is not out of the realm of possibility that the terrorists might launch an attack right before the election, just to cause confusion.

If the administration did not warn citizens, and there were an attack, they would be considered neglectful. If they did warn citizens, and there weren't an attack, many people would think that the warning was simply a political ploy.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Rolling Eyes

In the event of an attack, whom do I think that the happening would help? Beats me! This election year is becoming weirder and weirder!
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:43 pm
Attack
Another terrorist attack. A bit strange that Ms Rice didn't name
whom may attack, eh? Aren't we all aware that America may be attacked again by Al Q.? Do the NeoFascist really need to remind us? Yeah, would another attack be an advantage for the Repubs or Dems is debatable.Would the NeoFascists declare Martial Law in that case? Ex Gen. Tommy Franks has said yes that would be a real likely outcome.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:56 pm
If there is a terrorist attack, I am certain that Bush would win.

The american people think that Bush is more fit to defend this nation for some odd reason.

I just hope I'm not giving McGentix or the other conservatives on here any ideas.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:04 pm
Centroles said
Quote:
The american people think that Bush is more fit to defend this nation for some odd reason.

Look how well they did on 9/11/01 Embarrassed
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:04 pm
Would Kerrey invaded Iraq. No
How can you be so sure?

Would Kerrey have denigrated the UN. No
How can you be so sure?

Would Kerrey have alienated the entire free world. No
How can you be so sure?

Would Kerrey understand that negotiations are a two way street.
Possibly, we'll have to wait and see...right?

I mean, how can we speculate on what might have happened?

Getting back to speculation on what might happen.
No, I think a strike at the US would guarantee a Bush victory and I don't think the terrorists wanna "go for it" another 4 years
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:07 pm
Re: Attack
pistoff wrote:
Another terrorist attack.....Would the NeoFascists declare Martial Law in that case? Ex Gen. Tommy Franks has said yes that would be a real likely outcome.

As I recall, in a magazine interview, General Franks speculated that the effects of a WMD attack within the Unites States would be so catastrophic that he doubted the Constitution would survive. I did not read the interview, but it was my impression that he was not advocating the loss of democracy, or speculating that conservatives already want to do away with it, but merely stating that a WMD attack would wreak such devastation that constitutional democracy could be lost. His theory sounds plausible to me. Do you disagree with his assessment, and, if so, why?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:09 pm
panzade
I can't be sure that I will wake up tomorrow AM. But the odds are with me. And the odds are that what I said about Kerrey are with me also.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:10 pm
No, we regard the constitution so highly that the survivors would embody it.

But the patriot acts would probably survive and expand. And in a way, they rip the constitution to pieces already.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:16 pm
"And the odds are that what I said about Kerrey are with me also."

Sure they are AU, I just didn't realize you posted a threat about gambling odds.
0 Replies