Laser Removal of Gallstones?

jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:46 pm
What will they think of next? Tomorrow I take my old neighbor Gilbert to have his gallstones removed; they’re being removed by laser. It’s very fast, so I’ll be taking him in tomorrow and bringing him back to our house because he has to be watched for the first four hours. Laser surgery sure has come a long way!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 1,880 • Replies: 12

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 06:05 pm
@jcboy,
I had a fibroid removed by laser back when it was an experimental procedure (zip snip, fast fast fast) and avoided what was then a pretty routine hysterectomy process. From my reading, lasers really can do wonders. Sometime later, I had four retinal tears (long story) and they were fixed by laser. Yaaaaaay, such progress is good to have going on.

Wishing Gilbert well...
jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Gilbert says its relatively quick and painless. The doctor just said he shouldn’t be alone for the first four hours so he’ll come back here and rest, probably take him home after dinner, unless he’s not feeling up to it then he can stay in the guest room.
pioneer07

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 12:39 pm
Other medication choices for gallstones are not generally accessible. Less is thought about their viability and long haul effect contrasted with surgery.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:04 pm
@jcboy,
Gilbert's really going to miss you when you move, and you him.
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 06:57 pm
@chai2,
Yep we will miss that old man but we still have ties to Florida so we’ll be back once in a while.

He’s doing fine, he was just groggy because they put him out and he didn’t feel like eating and he wanted to sleep in his own bed so we just got back from taking him home. He's doing fine tonight!
0 Replies

james fraser5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:24 am
@jcboy,
Laser Surgery is really good as it causes less postoperative pain and permits quicker recovery.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:26 pm
Gilbert still has two large gallstones that were not removed with the laser surgery so now they want to go in and remove his gallbladder. Marco being a nurse says that is very minor but Gilbert isn’t a young man.

I’m starting to worry about that old man.
chai2

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 05:57 pm
@jcboy,
If it means anything to you, Wally had his gallbladder removed maybe 2 years ago, when he was 65.

He was actually in the hospital for something entirely different, a matter that didn't involve surgery, but they discovered through the tests he was being given that it should be removed.

Honestly Morgan? It was as if the surgery was an afterthought to the other things being done. He just breezed right through it, not much incision pain, no after effects like difficulties with certain foods....or if there was, it was very temporary, not even worth mentioning.

In fact, we were watching some movie or TV show the other day, where the gall bladder was mentioned. I asked Wally "Didn't you have that removed?" He actually had to think a second before saying "Oh yeah, I did. I'd forgotten about that."

Of course every case is different, but it doesn't seem to be a very difficult thing.

Wishing the best for Gilbert.

Maybe you should move him to California with you.
jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:33 pm
@chai2,
Thanks Chai, Marco says the same thing.

He said cholecystectomy removal is very common and painless. They take the gallbladder out through your belly button.

I’m not quite sure how old Gilbert is, he has to be 74 for 75 because I remember when I moved to Florida in 2009 he told me he was 70 at that time. He’s never told me when his birthday is.

I’d take him to CA with us in a minute but he would never go. He’s lived in his house for over 30 years and he loves it there, he would never leave. When we move to CA my friend Brian will watch out for Gilbert plus we will be in contact with him every week.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:55 pm
We took Gilbert out to lunch today and had a long talk with him. During the weekdays he’s always driving downtown, parks and walks around.

He owns that nice house on a double corner lot and has to take care of the property.

Well he’s 75 years old and it’s getting to be too much for him so he’s considering selling his home and buying one of the new condos in the downtown area. I think that’s perfect for him; he’ll be in a building with many other people and no landscaping to take care of.

I talked with my real-estate friend today and he said Gilbert could sell his home, pay cash for the condo and still have at least 60 grand leftover.
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 05:07 pm
@jcboy,
Wow, that would be good cash flow for him.

If he needed more later on, he could take out a reverse mortgage.

Walking is the best exercise for him, and it's cool that he goes downtown. I'll bet he keeps on on a lot of things that way.
jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 05:49 pm
@chai2,
I was quite surprised that he liked the idea of living in a condo downtown but he loves the downtown area, lots to do during the day, I’m guessing he realizes he’s now getting older and he can’t be out there once a week taking take of that landscaping.

Here in Florida it’s a weekly job and unless you can afford to have someone do it for you, you have to do it yourself.
0 Replies