Jesus and the practice of Slavery

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:49 pm
By the way, Proverbs was probably complied on a period of a thousand years, before your boy Jesus was even born. It is your sectarian exegesis which ascribes them to Jesus. You have no basis for the claim.
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:50 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini. As you are.. that's no Shocked ((shock))
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:51 pm
@neologist,
The clown claiming to possess all that wisdom, but just spouting gobbledygook which is essentially meaningless.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:53 pm
@Setanta,
Do you want a doggy treat? Setanta.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:01 pm
Quote:
Anonymously said: Romeo Fabulini. As you are.. that's no ((shock))

What, me a control freak?
Nah mate, my life motto has always been-"Don't tell others what to do, and don't let others tell you what to do", and it works fine for me..Smile
anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I told you to reply to my post. Without actually stating so. And you did. Shocked
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:15 pm
Nah mate I don't do anything unless i want to do it myself..Smile
When we're kids of course, we have to do as our parents and teachers tell us, but we grow out of it when we get older.
For example as I've said before, my old man used to hammer on my bedroom door at the crack of dawn after i left school yelling "Come on get out of bed and look for a job, they're crying out for people at the glue factory!", but I just thought "Oh stick it!" and turned over and went back to sleep because we holy men don't do 'glue factory'..Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Were I afraid, I could choose death.

I suspect you are afraid...and I suspect you would not choose death.

And anyone who thinks this god actually exists who does not fear it...GREATLY...is nuts. Except for a couple of the blood lusting gods of South America...the god described in the Bible is one of the nastiest, most barbaric gods ever invented.

Quote:
That's where I would have been headed anyway. As far as Jesus is concerned, I send you the same reference I offered to set. Jesus is no doubt the one speaking in Proverbs, chapter 8.

So are you saying that Jesus was fearful of this god like you?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Topic title: Jesus and the practice of slavery

Jesus never condemned slavery because the commandments ALREADY indirectly condemned it.
Jesus said - "You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself" (Matt 19:18/19)
So stealing people from their homes to enslave them isn't exactly a loving thing to do.

Another time a man approached Jesus and asked him to tell his brother to share the family inheritance with him, but Jesus refused, saying “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” (Luke 12:14)

And later he said- "I did not come to judge the world but to save the world"
(John 12:47)

In short he simply left it to our free will to decide what's right, based on the commandments.

Baloney!

The Ten Commandments are contained in the Torah.

Elsewhere in the Torah we find:

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen." Leviticus 25:44ff

It's really quite clear.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:19 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I know what you're doing Romeo Fabulini.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:19 pm
Quote:
FrankApisa said: And anyone who thinks this god actually exists who does not fear it...GREATLY...is nuts. Except for a couple of the blood lusting gods of South America...the god described in the Bible is one of the nastiest, most barbaric gods ever invented

No Christian fears God mate, why should they?
CHRISTIANS DIE LAUGHING..Smile

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

[quote]FrankApisa said: And anyone who thinks this god actually exists who does not fear it...GREATLY...is nuts. Except for a couple of the blood lusting gods of South America...the god described in the Bible is one of the nastiest, most barbaric gods ever invented

No Christian fears God mate, why should they?
CHRISTIANS DIE LAUGHING..Smile
[/quote]

Maybe they are all nuts!

The god is murderous, jealous, vindictive, petty, arbitrary...and several other negative things.

Maybe Christians like you are not truly "believers."

Anybody with a lick of common sense who actually thinks that god exists...would have to be terrified.

(Obviously the operative phrase in that last comment was "anyone with a lick of common sense.")
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen." Leviticus 25:44

It's really quite clear.

Glad to know I'm no one's slave. Smile

I'm a free psycho who refuses to leave home because of the deamons I will face once I walk out that door.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:33 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: Jesus never condemned slavery because the commandments ALREADY indirectly condemned it.

FrankApisa swung with: Baloney!
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess"..[etc]

That's funny mate, I can find no mention of slavery in the 10 C's, look-

1-You shall have no other Gods but me.
2-You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3-You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4-You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5-Respect your father and mother.
6-You must not kill.
7-You must not commit adultery.
8-You must not steal.
9-You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10-You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/judaism/commandments/tencomms.htm

And as i pointed out before, stealing somebody from their home to enslave them falls foul of the 8th commandment "You must not steal"..Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romeo Fabulini: he shoots, he scores!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shoots1_zpsa38dec6c.jpg~original
anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:38 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
"1-You shall have no other Gods but me."

Is this you telling me, us all that you should be my/our God?
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:53 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
1-You shall have no other Gods but me. - And so you shall be.
2-You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it. - Oh?
3-You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. - Hmm.
4-You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy. - ?
5-Respect your father and mother. - Thought so.
6-You must not kill. - To hate is to kill.
7-You must not commit adultery. - Unless you're mentally deranged unaware of your own actions. Therefore you're considered innocent but psychotic. 
8-You must not steal. - You need to steal me to be your slave.
9-You must not give false evidence against your neighbour. - I know who you are. Don't worry.
10-You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour. - If I lived with you you're not considered my neighbor.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 03:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Romeo said: Jesus never condemned slavery because the commandments ALREADY indirectly condemned it.

FrankApisa swung with: Baloney!
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess"..[etc]

That's funny mate, I can find no mention of slavery in the 10 C's, look-

1-You shall have no other Gods but me.
2-You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
3-You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4-You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
5-Respect your father and mother.
6-You must not kill.
7-You must not commit adultery.
8-You must not steal.
9-You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
10-You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/judaism/commandments/tencomms.htm

And as i pointed out before, stealing somebody from their home to enslave them falls foul of the 8th commandment "You must not steal"..Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romeo Fabulini: he shoots, he scores!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shoots1_zpsa38dec6c.jpg~original

Sorry Romeo...but I didn't say it was found in the Ten Commandments.

I said it was found in the Torah.

AND IT IS.

Your god...the god Jesus worshiped...said that slavery was just fine...moral and all that. Your god...the god Jesus worshiped...said you buy and sell slaves, and keep them slaves forever...and bequeath them to your sons.

Your god...the god Jesus worshiped...

...what a beauty! Drunk http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/vomit.gif
neologist

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 03:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Romeo doesn't know too much about the Hebrew text, Frank.
I try to go easy on him.

But let's get back to the attitude Jesus expressed when talking about the faithful slave. Apparently, the faithful slave was happy to do the master's will.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 03:42 pm
@neologist,
In time.

Remember.

He's *******/messing with his head.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
oopsy daisy, set. Be careful of the ipse dixit. It's beneath you.
0 Replies