Adding recessed lights to an existing dimmer switch

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 03:57 pm
I am baffled by what I thought was going to be a simple basic wiring project. I have an existing ceiling recessed light on a dimmer switch in my living room and I want to add 4 more recessed lights i. My kitchen to that same switch knowing that both sets of lights will be on and off at the same time. When I removed the existing dimmer switch, there were only two wires and a ground coming into the box (power, neutral, ground) and they were connected to the dimmer switch. I expected to see wires coming from the basement to the box (power, neutral, and ground) and then three wires going up to the light from the switch, and of course the three wires from the switch for a total of 9 wires. When I connect the black from the new lights to the black from the power source and the black from the switch together and the white from the new lights to the white from the box to the other black wire coming from the switch, and the ground wires together, nothing works, not even the existing light that works when the new lights are removed from the circuit. Any suggestions on what I can try? I also tried connecting the wires directly without the switch and we still have no power to the new lights.

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:55 pm
@Marynotpmoc,
Personally, if it were me, what I'd try doing is hiring a qualified electrician. Why attempt doing it yourself? It's your safety, your property and your wasting time that might be at risk.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:55 am
@Marynotpmoc,
Maybe Mary you've somehow switched gnd with neut and/or blown a fuse. What's the color of the supposed gnd

Quote:
……...and ground) and then three wires going up to the light from the switch, and of course the three wires from the switch……..…...and the black from the switch together and the white from the new lights to the white from the box to the other black wire coming from the switch, and the ground wires together,…...
…might be reworded for clarity
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 02:22 am
@Marynotpmoc,
You said you only have two circuit wires at the dimmer and it sounds like that is where you are trying to connect you new fixtures. If you only have a blk and white at the dimmer and your wiring is romex (NMB) then the power originates at one of the existing light fixture boxes and goes down to the dimmer on the white (that should be marked blk as a hot per code) and then returns back to the light fixture and connects to the fixture. If this is the wiring layout you would need to connect your new fixtures off of the existing fixture box and not at the switch box. You can check to see if the white is actually being used as a feed to the dimmer with a wiggie or a volt meter, taking a reading between the white and the ground.
panzade

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:00 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
It's your safety, your property and your wasting time that might be at risk.

...and most importantly, your insurance claim that will be denied in case of a fire.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 12:32 pm
@bahtah,
Quote:
...or a volt meter, taking a reading between the white and the ground
Sound advice tho doubtful if Mary uses a voltmeter

Incidentally a voltmeter alone can gives misleading result if coupled only capacitatively to to one side or t'other

Mary, to detect the potential of power find a bulb socket having loose wires. Incidentally have you had any luck as yet
0 Replies