Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrike

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:36 pm
And the Neverending Story continues...

Targeted killing follows deadly suicide bombing in Erez

Saturday, April 17, 2004 Posted: 8:09 PM EDT (0009 GMT)

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Abdel Aziz Rantisi, the leader of the militant group Hamas in Gaza, was killed Saturday in Gaza City by an Israeli missile strike, Israeli officials and Palestinian security sources said.

An Israeli helicopter launched the strike on Rantisi's car, the sources said, also killing two others -- one of them a bodyguard. Rantisi was taken to a hospital, where he died shortly afterward.

Rantisi was one of Hamas' most high profile figures, often speaking to international journalists, but he only assumed the mantle of the leader of Hamas in Gaza last month -- after Israel killed the group's founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin.

An Israeli Foreign Ministry official confirmed that the missile strike was a targeted killing.

"This evening, in a security forces operation in the Northern Gaza Strip, the IDF targeted a car carrying the leader of Hamas, Abdel Aziz Rantisi, who is directly responsible for the killing of scores of Israelis in numerous terror attacks," a statement from the Israel Defense Forces said.

A huge explosion was heard in Gaza City, and half of the city lost electricity.

Israeli Foreign Ministry official Gideon Meir said this was not the first time Israel has targeted Rantisi.

"We tried to do it a few months ago. At that time, he managed to run away. This time we got him," Meir said.

"Somebody who is sending suicide bombers to kill innocent Israelis is a legitimate target for the government of Israel," he told CNN.

Ten other people were injured, Palestinian medical sources said.

When news of the killing swept through the territory, thousands of Hamas activists spilled into the streets.

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat condemned the killing, saying: "We hold the Israeli government fully responsible for the consequences of such actions.

"At the end of the day, violence will breed more violence, hatred will breed more hatred."

Rantisi was appointed to head Hamas in Gaza after the group's founder and spiritual leader, Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, was killed last month in an Israeli missile strike in Gaza City.

The military wing of Hamas vowed to deliver 100 "unique" responses in retailiation and called all of its cells to be ready for the promised responses. The statement said the Palestinian people should not worry about there being a response but that it would take time to prepare it well.

Suicide attack

The strike came hours after a Palestinian suicide bomber launched an attack in the Erez industrial zone Saturday, killing a border police officer and wounding three others.

Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades and Hamas claimed responsibility for that attack.

An Al Aqsa spokesman identified the bomber as Fadi al-Amudi of Beit Lahaya, in northern Gaza near Erez. An Israeli army official said the bomber had worked in the zone for the past two years. He died at the scene.

A second attacker, from Hamas, tried but failed to enter the industrial zone, an Al Aqsa source said. The military said it knew nothing about a second bomber.

Hamas is a Palestinian Islamic fundamentalist organization whose military wing has admitted responsibility for terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians and soldiers. Al Aqsa is a military offshoot of Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement that has attacked military and civilian targets in Israel, and in Israeli settlements in the West Bank and Gaza. Both are considered terrorist organizations by Israel and teh United States.

There is heavy security around the busy industrial area, where the bomber detonated explosives at an entrance where the workers are checked before they can go to their jobs.

At least 2,900 entered Erez on Saturday. The zone was closed as a result of the bombing, and it is not known when it will reopen. Many Palestinians work there.

The Erez industrial zone was closed for several days in January after a female suicide bomber killed four Israelis at a checkpoint there. Ten other people were wounded in that blast.

The attack came three days after President Bush met with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in Washington.

In that meeting, Bush endorsed Sharon's plan to withdraw all Jewish settlements and troops from Gaza and all but six blocs of Jewish settlements from the West Bank. (Full story)

Thursday, Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat rejected the plan.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,322 • Replies: 22
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
Another example of the "Heroism" Bush so admires and tries to emulate. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 07:43 pm
Will Hamas keep naming their leaders?
Will Arafat be targeted?
Has this recent targeted assassination, and threats of more, significantly change the Pal/Israeli conflict?
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
Will this ever stop in the forseeable future? I seriously doupt it. But I must say I can understand both sides, and I still have a leaning sympathy for Palestien, not that it matters.

Were not the Palestiens forced from their homes by Israel soldiers, and they are still on curfew, still being beaten, and still being killed in the streets because they are "suspected terroists". How many innocents have been killed in Israel raids? Is it not fair to expect such retrebutions such as terroist attacks from Palestinian militants? How else can the Palistinians fight back? They have no army, no planes, no true weapons for which to possibly win a war. So they must fight the people of Israel, hopefully to weaken the civilian support of the raids and occupations.

I also have a lagging feeling that Israel is still milking the embaresment of foreign nations for not helping the Jews during the Holocaust. If the US didn't have so many Holocaust memorials and museums, and if it had no reason to fell sorry, would it still let these acts of inhumanity to continue?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
The thing, as I see it, unknown man, is Hamas' mission statement pledges to fight until there are no Jews between the Jordan River and the sea.

What are Israel's options?
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:00 pm
Right, the Israel option is none other to destroy Hamas. But does that include shooting at any civilian who might possibly have a chance of being "a suspected terroist?" And does their option also include the right to occupy the GAza strip and the West Bank, stealing the rights of others, in an attempt to kill those they seek?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
I haven't been following the news lately as closely as usual--but hasn't Israel really started more intensive targeting?

Have you seen recent reports of killing innocents on the street?

The Pal kid, who was strapped with explosives a couple of weeks ago... They helped him get out of the bomb vest, and treated him gingerly...

I am aware of 'collateral damage' in the past-- I thought they'd revised their tactics.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
Yay!!! Next?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:45 pm
Come on! You have to admire the Mossad. They don't fool around. Israel is fighting for its life. Unknown, as long as you're bringing up the Holocaust. You think Israelis are gonna let themselves be herded into cattle cars again? I expect the conservatives in the US are going "How come we can't take out terrorist leaders like that?"
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:50 pm
Um...YEAH!
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:52 pm
kill
Israel has said that they are going to keep assasinating members of Haamas. Haamas will appoint a new leader but not announce whom. Yes, that would be prudent.

The cycle of killing shall continue. Some welcome that.

The lastest land grab by Israel, against UN Resolutions, endorsed by our Glorious God loving leader, is sure to bring peace.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
Pistof, what worries me more than the land grab is that Bush has eviscerated the United Nations. That doesn't bode well.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:16 pm
UN
The concept of a UN is a good one. The problem has been the way the UN operates or the lack thereof. The sanctions on Iraq weren't fair or administered properly. Israel has ignored, what about 12 UN Resolutions? The US has vetoed every one of them. The US still owes the UN a few billion, ignores the UN when it doesn't suit US Govt. but then asks for the UN to help out in Iraq now.

I confess that I am far from an Israeli expert but it seems to me that Sharon and Arafat are the two biggest obstacles to any settlement between Israelis and Arabs.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
I think Arafat is the next on the israelis deathlists.....
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:28 pm
I think the solution to this is to establish a country called Palestine, then let everyone who calls himself a "Palestinian" go live there. Then both countries could say "This is my country, that is your country, here is the border." Right now the "Palestinians" are living within Israel, so it makes it hard to control the situation. Separate the combatants and fortify the border between them and the situation should calm down.

And I don't agree that the Palestinians are without "true weapons." They are getting high explosives from somewhere, and I don't think it's the kind you can make from common household ingredients. Where are these explosives coming from?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:33 pm
There's a problem with their "most holy sites" being next door to each other...

Nobody's giving up Jerusalem.

And, Hamas vows not to stop until there are no Jews breathing ME air.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:35 pm
The British already tried that and it led to the present mess. I think the Palestinians made a mistake when they got behind Arafat. And where are the Pales. women? They make up 65% of the population. They have no voice. The only time you read about one is when she blows herself up.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:51 pm
Woman
There is a Palastineian woman that is an excellent spokesperson. I have seen her on TV quite a few times. Can't remember her name. She seems to be in her mid 40's and has short hair.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:55 pm
http://www.neumc.org/M-Lawrence/Images/Hanan-Ashrawi-book-cover.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:58 pm
I'm eager to hear her. I have a theory. When the women of a society reach empowerment the incidence of mindless bloodletting diminishes.
0 Replies