Does "detecting the edges" mean "detecting the approach"?

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 11:24 pm

Context:

Hard-wired to flee a predator or fight a mating rival in response to a whiff of urine, mice use a streamlined system that sends the sensory cue to neural centers in the brain that need only a few synapses to rapidly initiate the instinctive behavior. By comparison, the visual system on which humans rely to sense a threat must process many more variables, detecting the edges and colors and contrast of that looming tiger they see, rather than sniffing the aroma of a cat—pungent only to animals—before scuttling away.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 408 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 12:50 am
@oristarA,
Not detecting the edges in this case means detecting the outline of a possible threat by detecting the visual edges of the object of concern from the visual background.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 01:32 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Does "detecting the edges" mean "detecting the approach"?

I don't think so. It sounds like they are describing the automatic process that our brains use to take raw light data provided by our eyes and transform it into an understanding of what is in front of us.

I think "detecting the edges" is intended literally. Some part of the brain determines that all of the incoming photons from a certain area represent one single object (later to be identified as a tiger), and that the incoming photons from elsewhere do not represent that same object.

Preventing the brain from recognizing the outline of a disguised object is a big part of how camouflage works.
0 Replies