Drooping on one side of face

pmparry

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 03:31 pm
There's a little bit of background on this one, because I think they might be connected:
On Dec 23 (a Monday), I experienced a major migraine, the worst headache I've ever had, concentrated behind my left eye, with a sharp, stabbing pain. I've had sinus headaches like that in the past, and since my roommate currently had a cold, I figured I was just getting sick from her. I tried to sleep it off and it went away a few hours later.

Later that week (Friday), my tongue started feeling weird, like it's partially numb. I thought it was a reaction to the medicine I was taking (for the cold that I thought I had) or because I was starting my period, so maybe my body was just being weird about it.

On Tuesday of this week (New Years Eve), I noticed that there was a loss of of the left side of my lower lip. Not completely, but it was definitely enough to noticed a difference. Yesterday, I finally noticed that there is a definite drooping on the left side of my face. On my left eye, my cheek and nose, and my left side of my lower lip.

It's only enough that I noticed it, and if I point it out, someone else can notice it. But it definitely wasn't there before, and I know it's something to be concerned of.

I don't really have the money to see a doctor until the end of the month, and the amount of droop hasn't gotten any worse, so I'm wondering if there is any advice out there about it? Should I definitely see a doctor right away, or is it possibly something that can wait, since it hasn't gotten worse?

Thanks for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 3,897 • Replies: 28
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 04:17 pm
@pmparry,
See a doctor.

I don't want to unnecessarily alarm you, but uneven facial droop can be the sign of a stroke. That's according to the Cleveland Clinic.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 04:25 pm
@jespah,
That was also my reaction as I was reading your description. Please don't wait, call your doctor and have someone drive you, don't try to drive yourself.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:12 pm
@pmparry,
Yeah. What they said
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:25 pm
Quote:
pmparry said: I don't really have the money to see a doctor until the end of the month

Sounds like a mild stroke. I presume you're in America where you have to pay for doctors, so if i were you I'd fake a collapse in public somewhere (a restaurant, bar room, police station, hospital steps, bus or train station etc) and pretend to be semi-conscious so that somebody'd be forced to call an ambulance to take you to hospital where you'd be tended to, and worry about paying later.
Alternatively fake it from the comfort of your home by simply phoning for an ambulance and begin by telling the dispatcher in a weak voice-"help, i'm on the floor..."
Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:28 pm
@jespah,
It could be Bell's Palsy. But we're not doctors - you need to see one asap.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:31 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
yeah.

a police station might be best.

that way if he is found out, he won't have to walk far to jail.

where he can get free health care as well...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:35 pm
It could also be Bells Palsy - which also needs to be seen by a doctor immediately -

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bells-palsy/basics/symptoms/CON-20020529

quoting -

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Signs and symptoms of Bell's palsy come on suddenly, and may include:

Rapid onset of mild weakness to total paralysis on one side of your face — occurring within hours to days — making it difficult to smile or close your eye on the affected side
Facial droop and difficulty making facial expressions
Pain around the jaw or in or behind your ear on the affected side
Increased sensitivity to sound on the affected side
Headache
A decrease in your ability to taste
Changes in the amount of tears and saliva you produce
In rare cases, Bell's palsy can affect the nerves on both sides of your face.

When to see a doctor

Seek immediate medical help if you experience any type of paralysis because you may be having a stroke. Bell's palsy is not caused by a stroke. See your doctor if you experience facial weakness or drooping, to determine the underlying cause and severity of the illness.

contrex

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:18 pm
I am so glad I don't live somewhere you have to pay at the point of delivery for healthcare. Probably an unworthy thought... could this be a false story, a misguided attempt to boost what Usians call "socialized medicine"?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:31 pm
@contrex,
Usians?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

But no, I don't think so. Trouble is, she needs to go to emergency unless there's a family doctor and that is a royal pain unless they take you right away. But given the palsy, I bet they would.

But - her family doctor may not require immediate payment. I hope she has called him or her.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 04:09 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I am so glad I don't live somewhere you have to pay at the point of delivery for healthcare.

That's exactly what I thought.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 04:10 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Usians?

U(nited)S(tates)ians.
contrex

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 04:49 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Usians?

U(nited)S(tates)ians.

I think he knows that... it's not as bad as "Amerikkkan".
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
I know that, silly.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 08:19 am
@contrex,
I'm a woman. I don't know any of us people in the u.s. who like to be called usians. Perhaps there are some.
JPB

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 08:25 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

It could also be Bells Palsy - which also needs to be seen by a doctor immediately

That's what I was thinking too. Doesn't sound like a stroke with the symptoms progressing over weeks, not hours.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 08:27 am
@ossobuco,
I don't particularly like being referred to as a Brit, I see myself as English primarily, although I am British and European as well.

Believe me, there's far worse terms Contrex could use if he saw fit.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
I know there are worse terms. ; )
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 08:48 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I'm a woman.

Sorry, I just assumed that you were male because osso is a male-gendered Italian word.

contrex

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 09:26 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

osso is a male-gendered Italian word.

... and Italian given names ending in -o tend to belong to males.