Svend Robinson

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:53 pm
Man....I'm so tired of reading about the war, and Dubya, and Cheney, and Ashcroft, and Kerry....well, you get the idea. I think it's time for some discussion on Canadian politics. Svend Robinson, golden boy and the first openly gay premier just resigned for 'mental health' issues, after stealing a piece of jewelery. Story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040416/SVENDPAST16/TPNational/Canada

I am just curious as to thoughts on how this might effect the somewhat progressive stance Canadians have shown regarding gay rights. 'Mericans can reply, but it remains to be seen how seriously we'll take your opinions. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:58 pm
I was reading about him this morning, according to his history his whole life has been a mental health issue.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
Hmm. Well you Candadians haven't taken me all that seriously so far, but I found the article interesting. I had two thoughts while reading it:

1) I get really disgusted with the 'victim' excuse for why people do bad things.

2) I don't see how the issue of a shoplifting offense and him being gay have any connection here unless it relates again to the 'victim' excuse.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm
Gays can be beset by mental abberations and psychosis just as straights can be. I don't think it has anything to do with ones sexual orientation. Of course, mental problems can stem from a self-conscious or even shame of being wired that way but that's a problem with life philosophy as much as sociology.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 06:15 pm
Hiking while hammered is a Canadian pastime surpassed only by having sex in a canoe. I like the chhronology. Do you guys get on peoples cases that intensely? I dont recall even John Gotti getting this much coverage.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 06:22 pm
Well, in Canada, every day is a slow news day. I like Svend, I feel sorry for him really, the man was a good politician. I'm not quite certain why he's bowing out, but if he feels it's necessary, then let it be. However, although we don't have the same level of political trash talk that the US has, I am concerned that Robinson's trailblazing, applauded career may be smeared by this incident, which really is a bit silly.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:20 am
Not many canadian politicians are intresting, he was. I'll miss him.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
It is sad to me to think that Svend, having always been a champion of the underdog, may find a momentary indiscretion capable of negating all the positive actions of a lifetime in public office.
I'm also amazed that he of all people would make such a fatal blunder, being fully aware of the degree of scrutiny he as a politician, as a gay man, as an N.D.P. stalwart, is always under.
It seems to me to be a case of personally induced self assassination. He must have subconciously wanted to get out, really badly!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
I've always been impressed by how he did what he said he was going to do - particularly in regard to the right to die. I respect Mr. Robinson a lot and that's not altered by this incident. I hope he gets the treatment and support he needs, and that he'll be able to come back and do the thing he does so well, which I think is making Canadians look at things in sometimes unexpected ways.

I can only imagine what kind of stress it would be, to be perceived as a sort of moral compass for people. I know that a lot of people looked to him to see what the humane answer to some questions would be. Interesting that even people who didn't/don't agree with him politically are being very supportive. I think he's recognized to be a decent kind of guy.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:08 am
Mmm. If you (anyone here) were the special prosecutor assigned to the case would you charge him?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:16 am
Dunno.
I'm not sure that a special prosecutor would normally be assigned to a shop-lifting case in which the owner was not going to press charges. That seems odd to begin with. So many shop-lifting cases don't lead to charges. Why pursue this one? Because it hit the news? Why did it hit the news? Because it was a public figure?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
Svend held a press conference. A special prosecutor has been assigned.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
Sorry Cav, I forgot to address your original question, which was:

Quote:
I am just curious as to thoughts on how this might effect the somewhat progressive stance Canadians have shown regarding gay rights.

I don't think it will have any lasting consequence on the issue of gay rights at all. I expect some gay/shoplifting jokes to surface in the next few weeks, but nothing more. What a provocative question. Do you think it will have an effect?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:09 pm
Joeblow, personally, I hope not, but it's one wacky world we live in. I'm fairly sure there won't be a deep impact here though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:15 pm
Winona Rider used to be a gay man.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
Winona Rider is a goddess....prepare to be chastised!!!!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:26 pm
i think he could be described (to americans) as relph nader, but always running (literally) on high octane. knowing just a little bit of about his extreme involvement in many civil rights cases (example : right to die), i think he simply burned out. i understand he is an " extremely " (here i am using that word again) dedicated person/friend/politician and he probably did not know when to slow down. i think he might have benefitted from the old sailor's saying : "one hand for the ship, one hand for yourself" - which i posted earlier in another thread. i'm sorry to see him flaming out. he'll have a very hard time coming back IMO. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 03:47 pm
Joeblow wrote:
Svend held a press conference. A special prosecutor has been assigned.

Joeblow - I knew that before I posted. My questions stand.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
Well, Oh! I missed that...

Soooo...I take it you wouldn't charge him because of those questions?

Er.
0 Replies