The atheist argument - explanation and advice.

anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:13 pm
@neologist,
Says the obvious bible thumber.
neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:27 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
Obvious, but thankfully not oblivious.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:33 pm
@neologist,
There's nothing I can do. As I look down then back up at my phone. I don't know what to do any more.
neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:36 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
Don't know what to do about what?
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:39 pm
@neologist,
The thought of crucifying this animal called a cat that lives in my home has crossed my mind.

What does that mean?
neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:14 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
You have justifiable negative feelings towards cats
Just give cat away, though. You will feel better.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:47 pm
@neologist,
Are you trying to be humorous.
neologist

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:34 am
@anonymously99stwin,
I'm allergic to cats
But some of my best friends love cats

It creates inner conflict
anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:35 am
@neologist,
I don't understand.
neologist

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:40 am
@anonymously99stwin,
And that is the conflict
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 01:43 am
Quote:
Anonymous said: The thought of crucifying this animal called a cat that lives in my home has crossed my mind.
What does that mean?

It means your house will be invaded by mice, rats, cockroaches, spiders, daddy long legs, moths, and vampire bats because you won't have a cat to pounce on them!
No kidding, I once lived in a flat that was overun by mice because my landlord wouldn't let me have a pet cat. At first I thought the mice were funny, but when they began gnawing my electric wiring I didn't find it funny any more, so I moved out and left the landlord to foot the bill to replace all his wiring..Smile
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:35 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/1148852_543045905791829_1280316531_n.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:39 am
@FBM,
Isn't that every bit as simplistic as the reasoning you claim to despise?
FBM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:23 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not sure that I've claimed to "despise" anything. Both logic and rhetoric have their uses. Do you have a specific objection to the message itself?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:55 am
@FBM,
I object to over simplification in general, reducing something to a largely unrepresentative soundbite achieves nothing.
FBM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:01 am
@izzythepush,
OK. Object.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:42 am
@FBM,
Ok despise is probably too harsh a term. It's a better word for a snappy sentence though. I'd rather end a sentence with despise than object to.

That probably makes me a bit of a drama queen so I'm sorry.

FBM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:37 pm
@izzythepush,
No sweat. The topic can get pretty heated at times. Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 01:46 pm
@neologist,
As with the JW's translation of the word kolasis as "restraint;" "cutting off,” "lopping off" or "drastic pruning" is only used by them, as far as I'm aware, in their translation of that word. All other versions use the aforementioned translations.

You've demonstrated the JW's predisposition to conform their translation of the Bible to their ideology by your explanation of the JW’s translation of the word kolasis.

In regard to those instances where the JW’s use the word “Jehovah” in place of the original Greek words kurios “lord” and theos “god”, clearly these are redactions based on speculation as to the words actually used by the manuscript copyists as none of the extant manuscripts use Hebrew words.
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
In regard to those instances where the JW’s use the word “Jehovah” in place of the original Greek words kurios “lord” and theos “god”, clearly these are redactions based on speculation as to the words actually used by the manuscript copyists as none of the extant manuscripts use Hebrew words.
Are we to assume that when Jesus read from Isaiah 61:1.2 that he would not use his father's name? There are many places in the NT where the writers quoted from the Hebrew texts. Given the importance Jesus attached to the tetragrammaton, what causes you to believe the original writers would omit it? It is more likely that early copyists continued the Jewish superstition.

I offer this cut and paste from Jerome:

Quote:
There is evidence that Jesus’ disciples used the Tetragrammaton in their writings. In his work De viris inlustribus [Concerning Illustrious Men], chapter III, Jerome, in the fourth century, wrote the following: “Matthew, who is also Levi, and who from a publican came to be an apostle, first of all composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters for the benefit of those of the circumcision who had believed. Who translated it after that in Greek is not sufficiently ascertained. Moreover, the Hebrew itself is preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus so diligently collected. I also was allowed by the Nazarenes who use this volume in the Syrian city of Beroea to copy it.” (Translation from the Latin text edited by E. C. Richardson and published in the series “Texte und Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der altchristlichen Literatur,” Vol. 14, Leipzig, 1896, pp. 8, 9.)