Does Bin Laden have a point?

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:21 pm
He is a terrorist, one that uses murder to get attention. But doesn't he kind of have a point too?

Heres the anaylisis Hetzel_747 gave for Bin Laden's statements here... http://boards.ign.com/The_Vestibule/b5296/56749517/p1

Shouldn't we look at his side too? You say propaganda, yet all of us are fed propaganda daily in a full course meal. The words of Bush seem fake, he hides behind a mask of prewriten answers, who is he really? Yeah, yeah i'm digressing, yet how can we trust a man to send our families to die when we don't even know who he truly is? Yeah Bin Laden killed people. At least I can understand why. To them it was eye for an eye. They did not strike first, we did, for many many years. The fact is that NOBODY just decideds, hey lets go across the ocean, highjack some planes and then kill some people. Too much work, too much death, and things in this world are not black and white, as your beloved president would have you belive.

If your friends and family died at the hands of a "superior" country, would you not want revenge? When the people of that country do not even look at your plight, when they don't even weep for their fellow men, women, and children that have been left to die in despair. Why do none of us put our hand out in aid? Sure some do, but we should be doing so in droves. How would you feel?

There are two sides to this story. Yeah maybe Osama is trying to take advantage of a rift between countries. But the words he speaks sound like words that a man says from the heart. He sounds angered and saddened by the death of his people and the apathy of the world. As would I. "Which religion considers your killed ones innocent and our killed ones worthless? And which principle considers your blood real blood and our blood water" So which is it? What makes you so quick to call HIM crazy, when you are going to eat clean food and sleep in good beds while his people starve and YOU hardly give it a second thought? What is it that makes their blood water?!

When I am forced to make the choice between murders, i would rather choose a man who gives his reasons for murder, not a man who hides behind a mask. I grieve for the people who lost loved ones in 9,11, but their people are still dying. Their mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters die every day. Again, perhapes Osama is just trying to split to global community, but at least some of his words ring true. Security IS meant for all of us, not just all of the U.S.

I appreciate your input. Of course I understand that he is a terrorist... in our eyes. To his people he is a hero. Just as Bush is a terrorist to their people. There are two sides. Also it is not right to think that we kill with justice. Collateral damage is death, plain and simple. The U.S. (as well as Canada, don't kid yourselves) have bloodied hands. The fact is that it is hard to say whether or not justice is being served until years after. We don't know what Bush (and his puppeteers) agenda is.

Do I support Bin Laden over Bush? No. I support neither. When FORCED to choose I belive i said. I don't know either men, or the people behind the scenes.

Have we even tried to attempt peace with these terrorist factions? They must have reasons, just as we, for killing people. I am not as naive as I sound however, I am simply woundering what harm would come from trying.

"Bin Laden kills people simply to kill them and grab attention. " Yeah, he does. How else could he? Would we have listened to one man, or a group of men before? Then there is the fact that you don't know the man. Our point of views are limited to the propaganda that we are fed. He kills to get attention because he can't get it any other way. He wants his peoples agony to end.

Their people die. Is it not reason enough. Killing innocent people is not a good way to accomplish anything. Yet our country does it constantly. Millions of people don't suddenly wake up and say "hey lets hate The U.S." They are people who think just like you, there is no difference. Their blood is not water, and it is still spilled as though it were.

As for the fact that alot of people didn't even recognize the growing hate, how would you propose to get their attention. They did 9,11 to open our eyes to that fact. It worked quite well.

I do think Hetzel has a point. These terrorists do horrible horrible things.

But they are people, just like you and me. They feel pain, they know suffering. They are not evil. There is no such thing as evil. They may be misguided, but so are we

Bin Laden's original statement:
Quote:
Praise be to Almighty God; Peace and prayers be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and companions.

This is a message to our neighbours north of the Mediterranean, containing a reconciliation initiative as a response to their positive reactions.

Praise be to God; praise be to God; praise be to God who created heaven and earth with justice and who allowed the oppressed to punish the oppressor in the same way.

Peace upon those who followed the right path:

'Oppression kills the oppressors'

In my hands there is a message to remind you that justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do not. And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out about them.

The greatest rule of safety is justice, and stopping injustice and aggression. It was said: Oppression kills the oppressors and the hotbed of injustice is evil. The situation in occupied Palestine is an example. What happened on 11 September [2001] and 11 March [the Madrid train bombings] is your commodity that was returned to you.

It is known that security is a pressing necessity for all mankind. We do not agree that you should monopolise it only for yourselves. Also, vigilant people do not allow their politicians to tamper with their security.

Having said this, we would like to inform you that labelling us and our acts as terrorism is also a description of you and of your acts. Reaction comes at the same level as the original action. Our acts are reaction to your own acts, which are represented by the destruction and killing of our kinfolk in Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine.

The act that horrified the world; that is, the killing of the old, handicapped [Hamas spiritual leader] Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, may God have mercy on him, is sufficient evidence.

We pledge to God that we will punish America for him, God willing.

Which religion considers your killed ones innocent and our killed ones worthless? And which principle considers your blood real blood and our blood water? Reciprocal treatment is fair and the one who starts injustice bears greater blame.

'Bloodsuckers'

As for your politicians and those who have followed their path, who insist on ignoring the real problem of occupying the entirety of Palestine and exaggerate lies and falsification regarding our right in defence and resistance, they do not respect themselves.

They also disdain the blood and minds of peoples. This is because their falsification increases the shedding of your blood instead of sparing it.

Moreover, the examining of the developments that have been taking place, in terms of killings in our countries and your countries, will make clear an important fact; namely, that injustice is inflicted on us and on you by your politicians, who send your sons - although you are opposed to this - to our countries to kill and be killed.

Therefore, it is in both sides' interest to curb the plans of those who shed the blood of peoples for their narrow personal interest and subservience to the White House gang.

The Zionist lobby is one of the most dangerous and most difficult figures of this group. God willing, we are determined to fight them.

We must take into consideration that this war brings billions of dollars in profit to the major companies, whether it be those that produce weapons or those that contribute to reconstruction, such as the Halliburton Company, its sisters and daughters.

Based on this, it is very clear who is the one benefiting from igniting this war and from the shedding of blood. It is the warlords, the bloodsuckers, who are steering the world policy from behind a curtain.

As for President Bush, the leaders who are revolving in his orbit, the leading media companies and the United Nations, which makes laws for relations between the masters of veto and the slaves of the General Assembly, these are only some of the tools used to deceive and exploit peoples.

All these pose a fatal threat to the whole world.

The Zionist lobby is one of the most dangerous and most difficult figures of this group. God willing, we are determined to fight them.

'Reconciliation initiative'

Based on the above, and in order to deny war merchants a chance and in response to the positive interaction shown by recent events and opinion polls, which indicate that most European peoples want peace, I ask honest people, especially ulema, preachers and merchants, to form a permanent committee to enlighten European peoples of the justice of our causes, above all Palestine. They can make use of the huge potential of the media.

The door of reconciliation is open for three months of the date of announcing this statement.

I also offer a reconciliation initiative to them, whose essence is our commitment to stopping operations against every country that commits itself to not attacking Muslims or interfering in their affairs - including the US conspiracy on the greater Muslim world.

This reconciliation can be renewed once the period signed by the first government expires and a second government is formed with the consent of both parties.

The reconciliation will start with the departure of its last soldier from our country.

The door of reconciliation is open for three months of the date of announcing this statement.

For those who reject reconciliation and want war, we are ready.

As for those who want reconciliation, we have given them a chance. Stop shedding our blood so as to preserve your blood. It is in your hands to apply this easy, yet difficult, formula. You know that the situation will expand and increase if you delay things.

If this happens, do not blame us - blame yourselves.

A rational person does not relinquish his security, money and children to please the liar of the White House.

Had he been truthful about his claim for peace, he would not describe the person who ripped open pregnant women in Sabra and Shatila [reference to Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon] and the destroyer of the capitulation process [reference to the Palestinian-Israeli peace process] as a man of peace.

Reality proves our truthfulness and his [George Bush's] lie.

He also would not have lied to people and said that we hate freedom and kill for the sake of killing. Reality proves our truthfulness and his lie.

The killing of the Russians was after their invasion of Afghanistan and Chechnya; the killing of Europeans was after their invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan; and the killing of Americans on the day of New York [reference to 11 September] was after their support of the Jews in Palestine and their invasion of the Arabian Peninsula.

Also, killing them in Somalia was after their invasion of it in Operation Restore Hope. We made them leave without hope, praise be to God.

It is said that prevention is better than cure. A happy person is he who learns a lesson from the experience of others.

Heeding right is better than persisting in falsehood.

Peace be upon those who follow guidance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,233 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:23 pm
Whatever point he may have is overshadowed and undermined by the method with which he chooses to deliver it.

Simply put, if he has a point he is the poster-child for it's converse twin.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:25 pm
To me, he sounds a bit like Bush with his rantings about what God wants.
But then, I don't profess to like either of them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:26 pm
Agreed, Craven.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
Well put Craven. Anybody who tortures people and animals in the most ghastly ways in front of his troops to 'harden them' for the jihad, anybody who intentionally targets women and children to be cruelly murdered, anyone who has such utter disregard for human life that any horror is justified to further his own fanatical purposes is vermin to be extinguished.

And where is this evidence he has that we have killed muslims for years before they retaliated or whatever his point is?

He does make one excellent point in his diatribe however. Everytime we have cut and run when it got difficult or costly, he has triumphantly proclaimed victory and has been emboldened.

President Bush was dead on accurate in his speech. We can't lose this one. The price would be too high.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:38 pm
I heard today (sorry, I don't have the source) that recently discovered documents link Bin Laden to the 'Black Hawk Down' disaster in Somalia.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:39 pm
suzy wrote:
To me, he sounds a bit like Bush with his rantings about what God wants.
But then, I don't profess to like either of them.

Both Bush and bin Laden believe the God they believe in is on his side and is telling him what to do. That's the really frightening thing about this whole situation. Neither man is thinking for himself but instead, listening to some voice inside his head.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:41 pm
"Are you there god? It's me, Dubya."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:44 pm
Who's worse? Somebody that kills women and children intentionally (aiming at them), or somebody that kills women and children intentionally (not aiming at them)? Both knows with confidence that women and children will be killed.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:52 pm
cavfancier wrote:
"Are you there god? It's me, Dubya."

"Can you hear me now"? Yeah, this is GW Bush at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I'd like to order some pizza's. I'd like one with anchovies...that's for Condi Rice. One with mushrooms...that's for Dick Cheney and Karl Rove. And one Supreme pizza for me...but YOU already knew that didn't cha.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:07 am
DID YOU CALL, MY SON?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:30 am
doglover wrote:
Both Bush and bin Laden believe the God they believe in is on his side and is telling him what to do. That's the really frightening thing about this whole situation. Neither man is thinking for himself but instead, listening to some voice inside his head.

You don't really believe the President of the United States hears little voices in his head, do you? That's just rhetoric, right?

The difference between Bush and bin Laden is that Bush, although he is a religious person, does not use his religion as an excuse or a reason for his actions. But bin Laden has taken bits and pieces of Islam and woven them into his own little religion of hatred. Any true Muslim would reject terrorism and bin Laden. He has a few followers, but the majority oppose him.

Osama has gone to school on Karl Marx and picked up his talking points in part from Teddy Kennedy, Terry McAuliffe, John Kerry and their allies:

"This war makes millions of dollars for big corporations, either weapons manufacturers or those working in the reconstruction [of Iraq], such as Halliburton and its sister companies...

"It is crystal clear who benefits from igniting the fire of this war and this bloodshed: They are the merchants of war, the bloodsuckers who run the policy of the world from behind the scenes."

John Kerry on Halliburton: "For the first time in history a corporation was allowed to invade a nation."

What about the oil companies? What about the multinational corporations? What about McDonald's and Wal-Mart? Maybe next time.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:05 am
Quote:

You don't really believe the President of the United States hears little voices in his head, do you? That's just rhetoric, right?

The president said that God speaks to him...guides him. Is there any other way to interpret that? If you have a problem with a person hearing the voice of God, I suggest you ask GW Bush. Personally, I have never heard God speak to me...or variations of voices in my head unless I was really, really drunk. Hmmm, maybe that's W's problem. Maybe he was drunk when he 'heard' the voice in his head.

Quote:
The difference between Bush and bin Laden is that Bush, although he is a religious person, does not use his religion as an excuse or a reason for his actions. But bin Laden has taken bits and pieces of Islam and woven them into his own little religion of hatred. Any true Muslim would reject terrorism and bin Laden. He has a few followers, but the majority oppose him.

Bush uses religion as a crutch and the fact that he calls himself a man of God to justify the innocents and soldiers in an unjust and illegal war being killed. Bush has used religion, democracy and terrorism to justify this horrific war. Like Osama, Bush has followers whose numbers are dwindling down all the time.

Quote:
Osama has gone to school on Karl Marx and picked up his talking points in part from Teddy Kennedy, Terry McAuliffe, John Kerry and their allies:

Quote:
"This war makes millions of dollars for big corporations, either weapons manufacturers or those working in the reconstruction [of Iraq], such as Halliburton and its sister companies.

That is a true statement.

Quote:
"It is crystal clear who benefits from igniting the fire of this war and this bloodshed: They are the merchants of war, the bloodsuckers who run the policy of the world from behind the scenes."

True again. Bush isn't REALLY in charge. He's the puppet for guys like Cheney, Wolfowicz...et al.

Quote:
John Kerry on Halliburton: "For the first time in history a corporation was allowed to invade a nation."

Again, a true statement.

Quote:
What about the oil companies? What about the multinational corporations? What about McDonald's and Wal-Mart? Maybe next time.

I suspect Iraq will be littered with Exxon and Shell gas stations, Kinkos, Mickey D's and Walmarts in short order when/if Iraq is put back together.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:14 am
Ah, satire. I see. Carry on.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:30 am
Bush has used god as justification for backing the sodomy law that allows two consenting adults to be arrested for having sex in the privacy of their own home.

Bush has used it to justify many things including a ban on gay marriage.

I don't think the claim is unfounded.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:33 am
I think this could make for a very interesting debate. Just have one side argue as if they are bin laden themselves and see just how compelling a case they could make. an intellectual exercise of sorts.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:35 am
Business
"Whatever point he may have is overshadowed and undermined by the method with which he chooses to deliver it."

Yes, Bushco and Al Q. are both guilty of this.

I find it hypocritical for those that say al Q. is a terrorit org. and Bushco are kind, spreaders of democracy.

If Bushco is so damned convinced that the whole world should have freedom because it's god's gift to the planet, why didn't Buscho start with Pakistan, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:22 am
pistoff, Good points - which I've also made in several posts. We made them our allies in our war on Iraq. Funny that; if it wasn't so serious. But we can continue to see the inconsistencies of this administration from beginning to end.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:22 am
Re: Business
pistoff wrote:
If Bushco is so damned convinced that the whole world should have freedom because it's god's gift to the planet, why didn't Buscho start with Pakistan, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia?

Because that whole freedom loving thing with Bush is a load of bullshit, that's why. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
The Bush admin. believes in freedom insofar as it it conducive to American business interests. The war in Iraq is a business model whereby prospective countries are prepared for US corporate interests, their laws altered to reflect American capitalist aspirations--the expropriation of natural resources, etc. The military is used merely as its attack dogs, and guard dogs. The US corporations are contracted to handle the infrastructural preparations necessary to those ends.

FREEDOM! for US business interests.
0 Replies