Bush Endorsement:Sharon Proposal Undermines Peace/ Intl. Law

pistoff

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:41 pm
Published on Thursday, April 15, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
Bush Endorsement of Sharon Proposal Undermines Peace and International Law
by Stephen Zunes

Quote:
President George W. Bush's unconditional endorsement of right-wing Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan constitutes a shocking reversal of longstanding U.S. Middle East policy and one of the most flagrant challenges to international law and the integrity of the United Nations system ever made by a U.S. president.

By giving unprecedented backing for Israeli plans to annex large swaths of occupied Palestinian territories in the West Bank in order to incorporate illegal Jewish settlements, President Bush has effectively renounced UN Security Council resolutions 242 and 338, which call on Israel - in return for security guarantees from its Arab neighbors - to withdraw from Palestinian territories seized in the June 1967 war.

All previous U.S. administrations of both parties had seen these resolutions as the basis for Arab-Israeli peace.

These Israeli settlements violate the Fourth Geneva Convention, which deem it illegal for any country to transfer civilian population onto territories seized by military force. UN Security Council resolutions 446, 455, 465 and 471 call on Israel to remove its colonists from the occupied territories.

President Bush, however, has unilaterally determined that Sharon's Israel, unlike Saddam's Iraq, need not abide by UN Security Council resolutions.

Not surprisingly, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan was highly critical of the U.S. endorsement of Sharon's plan, noting that "final status issues should be determined in negotiations between the parities based on relevant Security Council resolutions."

Not only does President Bush's announcement effectively destroy the once highly-touted "road map," this marks the first time in the history of the peace process that a U.S. president has pre-empted negotiations by announcing support of such a unilateral initiative by one party. Both Israel and the United States have continued to refuse to even negotiate with Palestine Authority president Yasir Arafat, Palestinian prime minister Amhed Qureia, or any other recognized Palestinian leader.

President Bush also went on record rejecting the right of Palestinian refugees to return to what is now Israel. While it had been widely assumed that the Palestinians would be willing to compromise on this area once talks resumed, by effectively settling issues that were up for negotiations, it has pre-empted key concessions the Palestinians may have made been able to make in return for Israeli concessions. However, the Bush Administration has determined that it now has the right to unilaterally give away Palestinian rights and Palestinian land.

The shock experienced by the Palestinians is matched only by the dismay of moderate and liberal Israelis, who fear this will only encourage Palestinian extremists. By incorporating these illegal settlements - which the Clinton Administration recognized were an "obstacle to peace" - it divides the West Bank in such a way that makes a viable contiguous Palestinian state impossible.

Indeed, in response to the announcement, Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi said that Bush has "put an end to the illusions" of a peaceful solution.

Here in Jerusalem, the leading daily Yediot Ahronot this morning carried the headline "Sharon: The Great Achievement" above a photo of the smiling prime minister alongside President Bush. Indeed, the consensus here is that the U.S. endorsement was stronger and more enthusiastic than Israeli rightists had even dared hope for. Deputy prime minister Ehud Olmert called in "an amazing victory."

It is also being widely interpreted as an effort to short-circuit last fall's Geneva Initiative - supported by the Palestinian leadership and leading Israeli moderates - where Palestinians agreed that Israel could annex some blocs of settlements, but only along Israel's internationally- recognized borders and only in exchange for an equivalent amount of territory currently part of Israel that would be granted to the new Palestinian state.

More fundamentally, Bush's endorsement of an Israeli annexation of land it conquered in the 1967 war is a direct challenge to the United Nations Charter, which forbids any country from expanding its territory through military force. This therefore constitutes nothing less than a renunciation of the post-World War II international system, effectively recognizing the right of conquest.

Stephen Zunes is a professor of Politics at the University of San Francisco currently conducting research in Israel and the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0415-14.htm

* Once again Bushco panders for re-selection. This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

This Pres. and his NeoFascists will do anything to stay in power. I predict that if Iraq turns against Bushco and the American sheep finally reject Bushco that another Terrorist Attack will be in the USA, where upon Bushco will declare Martial Law, suspend elections and The Constitution.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 883 • Replies: 9
No top replies

sparky

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:49 pm
Why does Sharon need Bush's 'endorsement' of this plan? This is a unilteral plan, no? Since when do you get an endorsement for a unilateral plan?

This is such a mess. I get the feeling that no-one over there will be happy until everyone on the other side is dead. Suicide attacks, rocket attacks, tank attacks. One side makes a concession, and it's never enough for the other side. Apparently there is no middle ground. This side kills 20, that side retaliates and kills 23. Some Holy land, eh?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:07 pm
?
"Why does Sharon need Bush's 'endorsement' of this plan?"

Just guessing: Perhaps because the USA supplies weapons and money to Israel and helps Israel dominate in the region?

Bushco defintely does not care about Muslim support in the ME.
This decision spits on the UN and will generate more venom towards the USA but obviously Bushco needs the Jewish and Right Wing Christian Zealot vote in the US to stay in power.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:11 pm
I guess there's zero chance of the US being a fair and balanced peacemaker in all this. That sucks. I vote to get some country that has no interest in this involved as the referee. Maybe New Zealand or Iceland.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 05:03 pm
sparky wrote:
Why does Sharon need Bush's 'endorsement' of this plan? This is a unilteral plan, no? Since when do you get an endorsement for a unilateral plan?

My understanding (formulated after digesting NPR analysis) is that Sharon needs Bush's support as political cover. It is difficult for him politically to remove any settlements. The promise of US support helps Sharon domestically to fend off the Israeli right wing.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 05:58 pm
Sheeit
"President Bush, however, has unilaterally determined that Sharon's Israel, unlike Saddam's Iraq, need not abide by UN Security Council resolutions."

gw bush=HYPOCRITE!!!!!

This writer is better than I am at writing and expresses my views.

Milk & honey & votes
Posted by Evan on April 15, 2004 @ 3:55PM

Quote:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:18 pm
What I found to be most stupid thing for Bush in that televised meeting with Bush and Sharon was both of them standing there together with the US flag and the Israel flag together behind each of them. There they were discussing Israel and Palestinian issues without any input from Palestine or any kind of representive. When I first saw it, I thought "way to go you are well on your way to inciting an all out war against the Arabs and Muslims" And then later Powell had to smooth things over with car salesmen talk about how that was only the beginning... I used to admire that man so much. Now how does he expect anyone to put any credence into anything he says after his display at the UN which turned out to totally false?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:34 pm
Where are all the conservatives on this issue? Too embarrassed to show up?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
Waiting
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:42 pm
Remember the 60 Minutes presentation on the Evangelical Fundys? They do not want peace in the ME, so Bush is obligated to ensure his supporters get their 'river'o'blurd.'
0 Replies