Father Ted. Any U.S. fans yet ?

fresco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:00 pm
http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/father_ted/sound_bites.jsp

In the U.K. watching this was forbidden by some parish priests.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,942 • Replies: 36
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:06 pm
Have it all on VHS. Just waiting for the DVD.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
I have the first 2 seasons on DVD Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
Cool! When I did my stint in hospital in January, they had a crappy TV, but there was a VHS player. My wife was kind enough to bring all our Father Ted videos to me. The 'ould ones' interned there got a special kick out of them.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
I think Father Ted is hilarious. I'm not at all surprised that it is controversial in the UK. I suspect I would be upset if I were a devout Catholic.

I think my favorite episode is when he lost a bet and had to kick the bishop's 'arse'. Almost had the bishop convinced it was his imagination, until the giant blow-up of the photo shows up, on cue.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:21 pm
Literally LOL now Equus....I loved that one too.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:04 pm
I can't even pick a favorite, since there is something in all of them that have me on the floor laughing.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
Feck! Do you really say that in Britain?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:22 pm
So now I have something new to rent on NetFlix!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
coluber,

"Feck" seems to be confined to Ireland.
In a thread on hilarious Irish notices (Abuzz) someone posted a photo of an Irish field with the words "Feck Off Crows" painted six foot high on the side of a barn.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 08:09 pm
The Dallas PBS station has shown "Father Ted" for years but at an odd time, 1:30AM. Still, it's one of my favorite all-time comedies. The writing is incredible and the acting superb, even Father Jack, who believes in short explosive statements. My favorite is the soccer tournament—kicking bishop brennan up the arse diptych.

The Mrs. Doyle character is probably the most challenging role, that is, the actor has made the most of it. I remember in the episode where Father Ted is accused of being a racist a delivery man arrives with a package. Mrs. Doyle asks him if he wants a cup of tea. He say. "If I drink tea, there's a 70% chance I'll die." Mrs. Doyle says, "Well, I'll make you a cup anyway just in case you change your mind."

Oddly enough, the conservative city of Dallas was the first city to broadcast "Monty Python." In fact, itt was rejectied everywhere else until Dallas showed it. Then it became a huge hit.

The actor who plays Dougal also stars in "My Hero" about a super hero. This man has an incredible ability to keep a straight face, not the least bit of a twitch even.
0 Replies

tell me why

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:25 pm
I've seen it.....found it mildly offensive, but seeing as I dislike catholiscism it was ok......REALLY FUNNY SHOW!!! Spider Baby......I shot JFK......DRINK!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:30 pm
The actor who plays Dougal is also a fine stand-up comic.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Feck! Do you really say that in Britain?

Coluber, no we dont, the word was invented for this show, it's meaning is perfectly clear whilst not actually being a swear word.

In another show called "porridge" about guys in prison, funnyman Ronnie Barker invented the phrase "Naff Off" which means nothing but leaves nothing to the imagination either.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
I suspected that it was a made-up word, but a poster on this thread said it was used in Ireland.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:57 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
I suspected that it was a made-up word, but a poster on this thread said it was used in Ireland.

If it was used in Ireland before Father Ted came along then I'm happy to stand corrected, but I had never heard it before Father Ted.
0 Replies

tell me why

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:15 pm
Interesting..... odd, as far as expletitives go, I like it better than the original....*hmmmm*
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:49 pm
kev

Seems it goes back a bit and has been reinstated.

http://www.blather.net/shitegeist/000195.htm
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 12:01 am
It's not a nice thing for a priest to say, but Father Jack was not nice, and he had a very linited vocabulary. Feck! Drink! Girls! Arse! That was about it.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 12:59 am
There's no way the program makers would have got the show to air if the characters used the F word.Having them say feck simply gets around this.

I'd never heerd feck in Ireland before the show aired.
0 Replies