Why do people deny evolution?

Leadfoot

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 07:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Funny this topic came up today. Earlier this week I attended the 20th anniversary symposium celebration of the Brain Research Institute at UF. Lots of Champaign sipping and waiters walking around trying to force feed bits of expensive food to everyone before and after the formal presentations which were 99% fundraising discussions.
Setanta

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 03:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
I await your evidence with breath abated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 03:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
I used to work in Champaign, Illinois, at the university. (I lived in Urbana.) I am bemused--how does one sip a university town?

. . . oh . . . wait . . . did you mean champagne?
hingehead

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 03:33 pm
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Sorry to ask, but in exactly what is 'science' 'doing a fine job'? I mean I don't see that AT ALL. 'science' creates some employment for some people, so they don't have to live on the streets, that's it.

You're arguing on the internet, using a device that manipulates electrons at the atomic level.

What an intellectual libertarian you are.
edgarblythe

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 03:36 pm
@hingehead,
You know they prayed electric power and batteries and computers. Science hid in the weeds while the religious piously made the world what it is.
OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 12:05 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
You're arguing on the internet, using a device that manipulates electrons at the atomic level.

What an intellectual libertarian you are.

Well, I have mentioned that in another thread and there is NOTHING that has come out of modern science. Nor the computer, nor the internet, nor the transistor and so on and so forth.
I know the religion called 'science' claims that all this is because of them, but in reality it isn't at all. It even can''be because moderns science got physics (and all the rest of it) completely wrong!

I know I am an intellectual libertarian , because I search for the truth where I can and 'science' really isn't the place to look!
OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 12:11 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
You know they prayed electric power and batteries and computers. Science hid in the weeds while the religious piously made the world what it is.

You are talking 'technology' here and 'technology' is NOT applied 'science'

They are really two very distinctive field, BUT sometimes 'science' can learn a lot from TECHNOLOGY. That's true.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 06:26 am
EVOLUTION FOR DUMMIES CHEAT SHEET
Whether you’re talking about evolution — or any other element of science — you should understand the process of scientific investigation, which proves or disproves a scientific theory. Take a look at a chart of our hominid ancestors as discovered through fossil records, and learn some key terms to grasp the course of evolution.

THE SCIENTIFIC PROCESS IN BRIEF
Before scientists can identify something as theory, they have to gain overwhelming evidence through scientific investigation. And any good theory is only one good experiment away from being rejected. That is, scientists must be able to imagine some set of results that would cause them to reject, or falsify, the theory; then they must see that over and over again. The factor that makes a science a science is the adherence to the scientific process:

Make observations about the natural world.

Formulate a hypothesis.

The hypothesis serves as the scientist’s starting point; maybe it’s right, and maybe it’s wrong. They key is to do enough testing to find out.

Gather additional data to test this hypothesis.

As your data accumulates, it either supports your hypothesis, or it forces you to revise or abandon the hypothesis. Remember: The hypothesis scientists come up with must be falsifiable. That is, scientists must be able to imagine some set of results that would cause them to reject the theory, and then they must test those ideas out.

Continue testing (if the data from Step 3 supports your hypothesis) or revise your hypothesis and test again.

After an overwhelming amount of information accumulates in support of the hypothesis, you elevate the hypothesis to a theory.

If, at anytime in the future, new data arises that causes you to revise or reject your theory, then you revise or reject it and start again at Step 1.

Real scientists never ignore facts or observations in order to protect a hypothesis or theory, even one that they’re particularly fond of.

SPANNING EVOLUTION: THE HOMINID FAMILY TREE
Fossils for a large number of hominid species, including pre-human primates and human primates, have been found by paleontologists. As shown in this chart, various hominid species have been identified from fossil remains. Take a look these distant and not-so-distant relations:

Species*
and
Where Found Lived (mya= million years ago) Interesting Characteristics
A. anamensis
Kenya

4.2 to 3.9 mya Probably walked upright
A. afarensis
Ethiopia, Kenya

3.6 to 2.9 mya Walked upright. Most famous member (to us anyway) is Lucy, the
nearly complete fossil found in 1974
A. africanus
South Africa

3 to 2 mya Teeth more human-like than ape-like, probably bipedal
A. aethiopicus
Ethiopia

2.7 to 2.3 mya Considered a transitional species between A. afarensis and A.
boisei
A. garhi
Ethiopia

2.5 mya Possibly the earliest tool user
A. boisei
Tanzania, Ethiopia

2.3 to 1.4 mya Formerly considered to be a direct human ancestor until H.
habilis was discovered
A. robustus
South Africa

1.8 to 1.5 mya May have used tools to dig up edible roots
H. rudolfensis
Kenya, Tanzania

2.4 to 1.8 mya Bipedal with a large brain
H. habilis
Kenya

2.3 to 1.6 mya “Handy man”; used tools, brain larger and more humanshaped,
possibly capable of rudimentary speech
H. ergaster
Eastern and South Africa

1.9 to 1.4 mya Made some nice tools, had smaller teeth
H. erectus
Republic of Georgia, Kenya, China, Indonesia and Europe

1.9 to 0.3 mya (and possibly 50,000 years ago) Definitely used tools, probably discovered fire, andmay have
lived at same time as modern humans
H. heielbergensis
Africa, Europe

600,000 to 100,000 years ago Brain size equal to modern humans, found with tools sharp
enough to slice through animal hides, almost certainly used
fire
H. neanderthalensis
Europe,Middle East

250,000 to 30,000 years ago Lived mostly in cold climates, shared the earth with H.
sapiens, may have had a complex social system that care for the
elderly and burial rituals
H. sapiens
Worldwide

100,000 years ago to today Large brains (not always used) and ability to manipulate tools,
situations, and the emotions of other H. sapiens
*Note: The A or H in the species’ names is scientific shorthand. Instead of writing Australopithecus, for example, scientists simply write A. The term Australopithecus speaks to the origin of the fossil: southern Africa. H, of course, stands for Homo, which means man. The name Homo sapiens means wise man.

UNDERSTANDING EVOLUTION TERMINOLOGY
Evolution is the process by which populations and species change over time and the principles of evolution explain why life on Earth is so diverse and why organisms are the way they are. You need to understand evolution because it is the key scientific principle in biology (the study of living things), so study these evolution fundamentals:

Adaptations: Changes resulting from natural selection.

Allele (plural alleles): The specific DNA sequence found at a given locus in an individual. A haploid individual has one allele at every locus while a diploid individual has two alleles at each locus (one on each set of chromosomes), which can be the same or different.

Artificial selection: The process of selection when people control which characters are favored—for example selectively breeding cows that make the most milk to produce the next generation of dairy cows.

Chromosome: The cellular structures that contain DNA. Humans, a diploid organism, have 23 pairs of chromosomes.

Diploid genome: The genome of an organism that has of two sets of chromosomes. In sexually reproducing organisms, diploid parents each contribute one set of chromosomes to offspring, producing a new diploid individual whose genome is a combination of some of the DNA from each parent. Examples of diploid organisms include mammals, birds, many plants, and so on.

DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid): A long molecule made up of four different subunits (or nucleotides, which you can think of as a four-letter alphabet). The sequence of the four different nucleotides governs the specific details of traits. While almost all organisms have DNA as the genetic material, a few (some viruses) use a slightly different molecule (RNA, ribonucleic acid) but the process is otherwise the same.

DNA sequence: The exact arrangement of the four nucleotides in a specific individual. The sequence information can be for the entire genome or just some location of interest.

Evolution: A change in the percentage of inherited (heritable) traits in a group of organisms over time. For evolution, time is measured in generations, which is one of the reasons that bacteria evolve faster than elephants.

Evolutionary theory: The field of scientific investigation that works to understand what processes are responsible for the evolutionary changes we observe and what the consequences of those changes are.

Fitness: A measure of an organism’s ability to contribute offspring to the next generation.

Gene: The classic unit of heredity that governs the traits that are passed from parent to offspring. The term predates an understanding of how the process of heredity actually works, which involves DNA. Therefore, in science articles, gene primarily serves as an easy-to-understand, if not exactly precise stand in for locus and allele, which more precisely identify the exact units of heredity.

Genetic drift: Random factors—volcanoes erupting, trees falling, or airplanes crashing, for example—that impact the gene frequency in subsequent populations.

Genome: The sum total of all of an organism’s DNA.

Genotype: The specific combination of alleles that an individual organism has. Genotype does not map directly to phenotype (or physical traits) because of the effect of environmental factors.

Haploid genome: The genome of an organism with a single set of chromosomes. Examples of haploid organisms include bacteria and fungi which produce asexually (new individuals simply divide from existing ones). Note: Diploid individuals produce haploid gametes (sperm and egg).

Locus (plural loci ): A particular location in an organism’s genome where the information for a particular trait resides. The eye color locus, for example, is the place in an individual organism’s genome that has the DNA sequence controlling eye color.

Mutations: Changes in the DNA sequence caused by errors in DNA replication or such factors (like radiation) that can cause DNA damage.

Natural selection: The process of selection when the natural environment is the selective force.

Neutral evolution: Evolution as the result of genetic drift. When two different alleles are selectively neutral—that is, they don’t differ in fitness—changes in their relative frequencies can only be caused by random events.

Phenotype: The physical traits that the organism has, including things like body structure, wing span, running speed, and so on. Phenotype is a product of both the genotype and the effects of the environment.

Selection: When a particular character is favored such that organisms that possess that character are more likely to contribute offspring to the next generation. If the character under selection is heritable, then the frequency of that character in future generations increases. Selection acts on phenotypes rather than genotypes.

Speciation: When a group of individuals in a species evolves differently from the rest of the species, leading to the accumulation of enough genetic differences to prevent the two groups from interbreeding.

https://www.dummies.com/education/science/evolution-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/
OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
trying to impress??? lol

Don't you know that THE scientific process is a MYTH!

It very simply doesn't work that way, mate

You are very far removed from 'reality'
edgarblythe

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 09:41 am
@OldGrumpy,
Every time you post something like that you solidify your position here as either A. Dumber than a rock or B. an obstructionist for the joy of being a jerk.
Olivier5

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:24 am
@edgarblythe,
or C: both.
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Every time you post something like that you solidify your position here as either A. Dumber than a rock or B. an obstructionist for the joy of being a jerk.

It seems you have trouble if someone has a very different opinion right?
Why is that? I mean every word I wrote.

And I am certainly not impressed by your non-sense. You just repeat some mainstream non-sense. Have no mind of your own then, eh?!
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:37 am
Just take thease point from the non-sense you pointed to:

Quote:
1 Make observations about the natural world.

Quote:
2 Formulate a hypothesis.
The hypothesis serves as the scientist’s starting point; maybe it’s right, and maybe it’s wrong. They key is to do enough testing to find out.

Don't you really see what non-sense this is?????
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:39 am
And it also seems you have NO CLUE about scientific history!

This:

Quote:
If, at anytime in the future, new data arises that causes you to revise or reject your theory, then you revise or reject it and start again at Step 1.
Real scientists never ignore facts or observations in order to protect a hypothesis or theory, even one that they’re particularly fond of.

Nearly NEVER HAPPENS, instead they are defending their theory tooth and nail, hence the quote from Thomas Kuhn about scientific revolutions:

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-as-thomas-kuhn-pointed-out-in-the-structure-of-scientific-revolutions-new-scientific-marilyn-ferguson-89-74-40.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7-Hrk_0sNSq6Pc7HCNhiHJymruTO8d_LybJImQDeyZu1ofJVssQ
fresco

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:56 am
@OldGrumpy,
Grow up !

You have not demonstrated the slightest ability to show you understand what Kuhn means by 'paradigm' yet you have the nerve to cite him!. As for your crass comment about 'seeking truth', that merely demonstrates an ignorance of the debateable status of the word 'truth' as far as scientific research is concerned. For example, which of the several'theories of truth' does your usage refer to ? ....a rehetorical question no doubt as you are unlikely to have even thought about it.

So as long as people are prepared to feed your trolling activities I suppose we will be stuck with your vacuous 'last wordism'.

OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:58 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Grow up !
You have not demonstrated the slightest ability to show you understand what Kuhn means by 'paradigm' yet you have the nerve to cite him!. As for your crass comment about 'seeking truth', that merely demonstrates an ignorance of the debateable status of the word 'truth' as far as scientific research is concerned. For example, which of the four 'theories of truth' does your usage refer to ? ....a rehetorical question no doubt as you are unlikely to have even thought about it.

So as long as people are prepared to put up with your trolling activities I suppose we will be stuck with your vacuous 'last wordism'.

So, you really don't get it then, eh?! Just one long Ad Hominem, the '' weapon' of the weak. What do you do about it, eh?!

Oh , and please stop responding to my postings, watse of my time, thank you!
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 11:01 am
Oh

In the same stupid link:

Quote:
SPANNING EVOLUTION: THE HOMINID FAMILY TREE

and then a list with names WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL!

And people call this 'science'?

Bollocks is more like it!
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Mon 19 Nov, 2018 11:04 am
In would be more honest to say that the 'evolution-theory' doesn't understand one bit how everything 'evolved'.

Yes, they say they do, but in reality they are clueless.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:51 am
@Setanta,
Probably typed neither one, take it up with spell check.
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 20 Nov, 2018 09:22 pm
@OldGrumpy,
You'd be a lot more convincing if you took a scientific approach to proving any of your bullshit. As it is you come across as a laughably deluded egoist.

I'll give you one chance to explain how transistors came about with out science.

Fail and you'll never hear from me again (nor me from you).

Happy trails.

<Finger hovers over ignore button.>