Why do people deny evolution?

OldGrumpy

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
'I did ask you if English was your first language, but it was another one of those questions you found a bit too tricky to answer."

Ask away all you want. I really can't take you too seriously,mate Smile

I haven't seen one serious posting by yopu, not one!
'
izzythepush

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:17 am
@OldGrumpy,
Yopu's posts are not only not serious they're non existent.

OldGrumpy

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:22 am
@izzythepush,
you must be very clever then if you can read them. Wink

But let's say it is like evolution. You can see things that aren't there, eh!?
izzythepush

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:46 am
@OldGrumpy,
At least I know what my first language is.

The best example of something that's not there is a coherent argument from you about anything at all.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 04:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
At least I know what my first language is.

Then why don't very eloquently explain how you evolved without a spine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 04:11 pm
@OldGrumpy,
Statements from you don not constitute evidence of anything, and certainly have no bearing on the alleged mathematical improbability of evolution. You have posted nothing which will go over my head, as you put it, because all you have done is make statements from authority. There is absolutely no reason to consider you an authority on any subject.
Leadfoot

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 06:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I like the idea that the sky as we see it is a scene, a décor, a pretense, and that a monk could walk to the edge of the sky and see all the mechanisms hidden behind the scene to make the sun, moon and stars move around.

Yeah, I get that. And I kind of had a moment like that as I learned about the inner workings of cellular biology. It was like, WTF, this **** does not happen by accident.
OldGrumpy

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:09 pm
@Setanta,
"Statements from you don not constitute evidence of anything, and certainly have no bearing on the alleged mathematical improbability of evolution. You have posted nothing which will go over my head, as you put it, because all you have done is make statements from authority. There is absolutely no reason to consider you an authority on any subject."

Of course I am not an authority on any subjes. I never claimed to be.
So, where did you get this ridiculous idea?
But this is telling, because actually you are telling that you rely only on experts.
Which is not a very clever thing to do.

But, yes, I have shown and explanied the math and yes it went over your head.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:25 pm
You have explained nothing, you have just made statements from authority, an authority which you clearly do not possess. All you're doing is peddling bullshit and lies.
OldGrumpy

Fri 3 Aug, 2018 11:31 pm
@Setanta,
the math, the math mate, the math, really, the math

Just a little tiny time of thinking and you understand that evolution is mathematically impossible.It 's very easy really. Probably that is why it went over your head, eh!?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 02:26 am
@Leadfoot,
It's hard to study biology and biochemistry in any depth and not ask oneself these questions. People who study physics have an easier time being atheist, i think. They don't spend weeks trying to understand meiosis or memorizing the Kreps cycle.

I still remember this moment when the biology teacher presented the way legumes (peas, beans, etc.) make room inside its root system for a particular species of Rhizobium bacteria that will live inside the plant and help it fix atmospheric nitrogen. One of the chemical reaction involved is inhibited by oxygen, and those legume plants have 'found' a way to starve of oxygen the precise part of the root nodules where the Rhizobium is hosted, allowing the whole symbiosis to work.

Presented with the full complexity of the system, the classroom went into a collective WOW!

But there's still no doubt in my mind that the fossil record and genetics points to a fairly random evolution process. Evolution does not require magic, just time. And yes, the final result after hundreds of millions of years of evolution does look gorgeously complex and beautiful, and it looks like it's been designed, but the evidence shows that it hasn't been designed, that it grew out of hazard and necessity.

The key to squaring that circle is to understand that life started in simpler ways and forms, and progressively diversified and complexified. Looking at the final product only, you would think it's been designed, but looking at the fossil record one can reconstruct the very very very long and haphazard process that led there.

If God was such as smart Ass, He didn't need all these millions of years to make it happen. He could have designed the whole thing in six days... But we have evidence the He didn't, that it took a very slow and protracted process to get at the stage where we are today, with legumes, humans and all.
OldGrumpy

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 02:32 am
@Olivier5,
"But there's still no doubt in my mind that the fossil record and genetics points to a fairly random evolution process"

It is very clear you have no doubt. However, the whole proces of 'science' is build upon doubt! Hence, actually you are talking religion now. You seem to be too sure and as they say. the lady protest...too much!

Furthermore, what fossil record(s) show you a "fairly random evolution proces"

Bring it on!
Olivier5

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 02:52 am
@OldGrumpy,
Said by a guy who is absolutely certain that evolution is bogus. Or abiogenesis, or something...
OldGrumpy

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 03:19 am
@Olivier5,
can't find the right words anymore? Wink
Olivier5

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 03:32 am
@OldGrumpy,
Can't understand what I'm saying? Let me make it really simple for you.

Are you certain that the theory of evolution is false?

If yes, by your own reasonning you're being religious. Because you're certain of something and you see such a lack of doubt as religious, not scientific.

If no, then you admit that the theory could be true.

QED
Olivier5

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 03:56 am
@Olivier5,
A representation of the KreBs cycle:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Glyoxylate_cycle-fr.svg/500px-Glyoxylate_cycle-fr.svg.png
OldGrumpy

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 04:03 am
@Olivier5,
"Can't understand what I'm saying? Let me make it really simple for you.

Are you certain that the theory of evolution is false?

If yes, by your own reasonning you're being religious. Because you're certain of something and you see such a lack of doubt as religious, not scientific.

If no, then you admit that the theory could be true."

You really don't get it.
Yes, according to math evolution is impossible. BUT when some one comes alonng that can prove me wrong, I will change my mind. My mind is still open to other possibilties. Yours clearly isn't.
Olivier5

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 04:09 am
@Olivier5,
And it's only the beginning... Then a process called oxydative phosphorylation happens. This is the biochemical process behind 'respiration'. It happens within mitocondria, and looks something like this:

http://biochimej.univ-angers.fr/Page2/COURS/Zsuite/1Respiration/Z999suite/3ChaineRespiratoire/3Figures/4ChaineRespVEGETAUX.gif

And all this to transform glucids into adenosine triphosphate (ATP)... ie biochemical 'batteries': sharable, storable, disposable energy units.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 04:10 am
@OldGrumpy,
The moment Gods comes in and tells me He did it, I'll believe Him.
OldGrumpy

Sat 4 Aug, 2018 04:13 am
@Olivier5,
well, where do I mention God? I am not a bliever of the sort