Why do people deny evolution?

Builder

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
I watched mudskippers breeding in the freshwater runoff after the wet season rains in the west Kimberley. I thought they still use gills, and keep a good sized bubble of water with them.
farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:35 pm
@Builder,
mudskippers can do both as I unerstand. They can retain an amount of water (Its like a reverse scuba gear), but , like amphibians, they can breathe through thir skin and mouth mucosa. Thats why they hve to roll around in the slop, so they can keep their skins wet
Builder

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:49 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, they actively keep themselves wet. BTW, I can't view that video. Aussies not allowed, apparently.

I like how the arthropoda use the same basic breathing "apparatus" whether they are land-borne or aquatic.
farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:52 pm
@Builder,
you can play the flute on a madagascar roaches spiracles.
Builder

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:55 pm
@farmerman,
I'll have to take your word on that. So spiracles are the filter mechanism used by arthropoda?
farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:06 pm
@Builder,
spiracls are the holes on the undersides of bugs and on legs of other land dwelling arthropods. They connect to trachea which actually wind into the openings in the arthropods "inner meat"> The trachea actually touch the muscles and organs that need the oxygen so, in a sense, arthropods are kinda self limiting in size because their respiratory systems can only be so big in order to keep efficient. Water living arthropods like lobsters, have gills which cn filter out the O2 from the water. The sea dwelling arthropods dont have the same limitation for size (sort of) but there are effective size limits to these guys also.

Builder

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
I've checked out the "lungs" on our local mud crabs. They are a series of fingers, paired in sections of ten each side, just under the carapace. This one is at the upper limit, size-wise. That's my former back yard.

http://maps.bonzle.com/h/y/2/i/fy50o.jpg
farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:13 pm
@Builder,

Thats some big sumbitch
do people eat mud crabs or are they like horshoe and spider crabs, big but not edible?

Ever get pinched by one of them?

Builder

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:16 pm
@farmerman,
They're great to eat. I got a bit tired of eating them living on their doorstep.

Never been "nipped" by one. Saw a mate get his thumbnail punched through by one. They generate some awesome power in those short arms.
farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:23 pm
@Builder,
so you steam em with a crab boil or just bust off the legs and broil? Im envious since I love all kinds of crab meat. We have a much smaller blue crab on the Chesapeake Bay an its a delicious summer treat but theres a lot of work involved pickeing them. We have some bigger ones out on the west coast called Dungeness crabs.

Do your mud crabs live in the salt marshes or in mud flats? ("mud crab" doesnt sound too appetizing-you need to rename em, like "Austrlin By Crb"> I guess if it sounds too delicious, theyll become overfished.

I guess we should let the folks get back to the science part.

Ima sucker for seafoods

0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:24 pm
@farmerman,
WAAAIT a Minit. Youre holding the crab in a close-up to the camera arent you.
Builder

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:33 pm
@farmerman,
That's our German volunteer worker holding the crab. It's about 2.7 kg, and I've weighed one in at 3.3 kg. Yeah, he's holding it out a bit. Aussies just call them muddies, as opposed to sandies, which are much different.

A crab like the one pictured would retail for around sixty dollars, or maybe a little more.

I split them in two, clean out the carapace, and crack the large claws. Steam them with a mix of chilly, ginger, and garlic, for about twenty minutes.
farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:44 pm
@Builder,
awww mann sounds great. Why is all the great seafood in Australia? (I know, cauase God saw that you made some great beers) Is beer considered a proper beverage to drink with those crabs?

3.3 kg??? Jeezus, how much of that is meat??

We catch our blue crabs in what we call " potnets".These are traps that are baited with flat fish or chicken necks. We leave em in the water for a day and then go check the pots
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:48 pm
@Builder,
I ran a bunch of pictures of your mud crabs and it looks like you use a sort of similar pot to catch em. (looks like heavier wire though-the wire you use for crab, we use for lobsters). Our potnets are mde mostly of a scrawny chicken wire.

Good talkin with you. Its now my bed time. Ive got barn duty so I hve to get up at 3
0 Replies

brianjakub

Thu 21 Apr, 2016 11:26 pm
@parados,
Quote:
You keep wanting to ignore all the little steps because you can't understand how they could happen. The problem isn't with the theory of evolution. The problem is with your ability to think about anything other than simple concepts.
I am not ignoring the little steps, I don't have evidence of any in some very important places, like the evolution from asexual reproduction, to sexual reproduction and live birth in mammals.
Quote:
macroevolution is simply a number of microevolution steps until some progeny can no longer mate with the original parent.
microevolution could be a kin to selective breeding. Look at wolves and dogs, and bison and milk cows for example. All can still interbreed, but no one has been able to selectively breed a new species.
parados

Fri 22 Apr, 2016 06:40 am
@brianjakub,
You do have evidence. You just see what you want to see while ignoring anything that doesn't fit your religious BS. You care nothing about science. You simply pick and choose scientific terms while not understanding them one bit.
brianjakub

Fri 22 Apr, 2016 07:58 am
@parados,
Instead of getting angry and calling names. Why don't you fill in the gaps?
rosborne979

Fri 22 Apr, 2016 08:07 am
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:

Your request is a bit vague. Can you give an example of what type of evidence you are looking for exactly?

I ask this because there will never be a single fossil or a single genetic alteration which looks like a big jump. There is always going to be a series of small changes over hundreds to thousands of generations.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 22 Apr, 2016 08:21 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
microevolution could be a kin to selective breeding. Look at wolves and dogs, and bison and milk cows for example. All can still interbreed, but no one has been able to selectively breed a new species.

This is a gap that YOU created. It isn't a gap in reality.
Humans have been breeding dogs for only a few thousand years. That is like arguing that it never rains because it never rains in your house. You simply ignore time, space, and numbers to make an idiotic claim.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 22 Apr, 2016 08:22 am
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:

Gaps don't dispute a theory. Evidence to the contrary does. Why don't you present evidence that disputes the theory.