Why do people deny evolution?

martinies

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 12:40 pm
@martinies,
Nibbana fbm you new the buddhist word for the kingdom of heaven.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 03:12 pm
@martinies,
Quote:
@FBM,
Fbm your belief in buddhism is contradiction to your atheism. Buddhist do they not believe in reincarnation. For there to be reincarnation there has to be eternal life. If there is eternal life that life that is eternal has to be a part of god. Are you or are you not a buddhist or believe in budhism. Please come of the fence for once.

Oh, that explains so much. I wondered where he was coming from.

@FBM You didn't by any chance host the website whyistheresomething.com did you? I really miss it.
martinies

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 04:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Fbm is as much a believer in god as any one else. But he is quizing for certainty. God is certain. God is the certainty which is the relativity in the co incidents of hiesenbergs uncertainty principle. Nonlocality as in spooky action at a distance is certainty across an uncertain local distance.
martinies

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
@martinies,
The relativity in the uncertainty is the certainty.
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
@FBM,
Fbm your belief in buddhism is contradiction to your atheism. Buddhist do they not believe in reincarnation. For there to be reincarnation there has to be eternal life. If there is eternal life that life that is eternal has to be a part of god. Are you or are you not a buddhist or believe in budhism. Please come of the fence for once.

Oh, that explains so much. I wondered where he was coming from.

@FBM You didn't by any chance host the website whyistheresomething.com did you? I really miss it.

I don't believe in Buddhism. I am not Buddhist. martinies is talking out of the wrong orifice again. And even if I did, it would be irrelevant. Buddhism is an atheistic religion. One of a very few. Also, reincarnation is Hindu, not Buddhist. Rebirth is Buddhist. Reincarnation involves transmigration of a soul substance, rebirth does not. Not that I believe in either. Just an academic point showing that martinies is not a reliable source of information.
martinies

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 09:29 pm
@FBM,
Fbm is trying to split hairs here. The fact is in buddhism you dont die when the body dies. And its the fact that dosnt die that is the you in the fictional moving event of the universe. Buddhists believe the universe is illusion or fiction relative to a fact called the atman which is the nonlocal self.
martinies

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 09:58 pm
@martinies,
Buddhism is the exact same as christianity . In christianity they call love god in buddhism they love but dont call the love god. Whats in a name for goodness sake.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:09 pm
@martinies,
Small world.
Yeah, the Buddhist on that dead website disavowed his Buddhism too.
Of course there are at least 57 varieties of Buddhism.
FBM

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
Full of logical errors, I see. Where did I say I disavowed anything? Reading comprehension. It's a skill that will take you far, if you develop it carefully. But enough red herring. Found any evidence-based rational support for your god hypothesis yet?
martinies

Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:31 am
@FBM,
Fbm is talking out of two orifaces at the sametime here he is a buddhist from out of one of em at least. Or else why was he so upset about me saying I did not think buddhism entirely being correct.
martinies

Sun 16 Aug, 2015 05:51 pm
@martinies,
Let me point out that I think buddhism correct especially nirvana or nabbana . But its the idea that animals consciousnesses evolve to nirvana I dont agree with. All consciouness is nirvana and from the outset consciousness dosnt evolve. Brains evolved but nirvana is a constant and cannot change. Consciousness is the stationary thing its the tao. Tao is consciouse of its own stationary ness as relativity its why a mirror is always stationary to an observer in a moving frame of ref. All frames of course are moving.
martinies

Sun 16 Aug, 2015 06:20 pm
@martinies,
Consciousness is the mover of reference frames and in that sense an observer is both the mover and the moving in a ref frame. The mover being stationary relativity in the event. The mover of the reference frame which is consciouness is stationary with reg to the ref frame and is the relativity between different ref frames. So the consciouness of the observer is the never happened thing that caused all things to be happening and changing.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 07:51 am
@martinies,
I have always wondered what the appeal of reincarnation without conscious memory is, beyond just a way to avoid death.

The essence of a human is the memories and decision tree that they followed in life. If that is wiped out, they cease to exist in any real way.

Most forms of Buddhism embrace reincarnation either implicitly or explicitly. You seem more familiar with it than me so can you explain why reincarnation is attractive to Buddhists (and 'new age' believers too for that matter).
FBM

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 07:59 am
Same thing that motivates theists, ultimately: fear of death, non-being. A form of cowardice, really. Comforting self-delusion.
martinies

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 09:37 am
@Leadfoot,
Yep all the personal thoughts and emotions of an indivual are not real they are fiction they relate to illusion. Loving the illusion without attachment is nirvana. Nirvana is just you. Nirvana is just you nothing. Nothing or nirvana does not move because its part of the mover of things. You get reincarnated until to become nirvana.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 11:36 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Same thing that motivates theists, ultimately: fear of death, non-being. A form of cowardice, really. Comforting self-delusion.
Fear of death a motivation for theists?
You live in a small world.

Well, I suppose it may apply to some . . .
Just as desire for license might be a motivation for some non theists.
martinies

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 12:20 pm
@FBM,
Well some may fear eternal life. But you have it like it or not and eternal life is no thing. The universe is designed that way. And what I have read about buddhist nibbana somes the situation up dead right how they found out I dont know but its spot on our real identity is nothing.
0 Replies

FBM

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 05:58 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
Fear of death a motivation for theists?
You live in a small world.

I'm not following the logic. Religions offer immortality in exchange for obedience.

Quote:
Well, I suppose it may apply to some . . .
Just as desire for license might be a motivation for some non theists.

License? Driver's? Hunting? Business? Marriage?
neologist

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:06 pm
@FBM,
I was thinking of another word:

Licentious.

But, heck. I wasn't specific.
FBM

Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:20 pm
@neologist,
Erm. You've got a lot of work to do if you want to equate licentiousness with disbelief. I didn't stop believing because I wanted to get laid. I was getting laid beforehand. By church-going girls, no less. I stopped believing because I studied the Bible, and it started to make more sense that it was made up, rather than there really being an invisible, super-magical, undetectable something in the sky running everything.