Why do people deny evolution?

Frank Apisa

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 12:51 pm
@fresco,
Try knocking the nonsense off for a bit, Fresco.

Here is my position on the issue being discussed:

Quote:
Essentially I am saying that science, logic, and reason cannot get us to "there is at least one god", "there are no gods", "it is more likely that there is at least one god than that there are no gods" or "it is more likely that there are no gods than that there are gods." The best that reason, logic, and science can do is to show that we do not know if there are gods or not.

You ought really to develop the ethical wherewithal to acknowledge that as being correct.

You will be the better for doing so.
fresco

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 01:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
"We" are not ex-priests like you with a personal cross to bear ( Twisted Evil ) . Nor are "we" ignorant of those idiosyncratic aspects of "evidence" which make allusions to consensual science facile. You are as "correct" now as when you dabbled with religion or got yourself tattooed (unless of course those were different Franks Wink )
Frank Apisa

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 01:25 pm
@fresco,
You've fallen off the edge, Fresco...and are delighting me by having done so.

Here's something else you can cling to:

One of my most memorable life moments was the time I served Mass in St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican.

What could I say? It simply ranks up there in events that please...alongside the audience I attended with Pius XII. (Now that ought to give you lots of ammo for that pea shooter of yours.)

Mind the doors.
Wink
InfraBlue

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 01:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

So, you assert that science can show that we do not know if there is a god.

Essentially I am saying that science, logic, and reason cannot get us to "there is at least one god", "there are no gods", "it is more likely that there is at least one god than that there are no gods" or "it is more likely that there are no gods than that there are gods." The best that reason, logic, and science can do is to show that we do not know if there are gods or not.

Quote:

How is that relevant to meteorology, for example?

What in hell are you talking about.

I'm talking about the assertions you've made. You had said here that, "anything that may account for existence is...and well should be...of extreme interest and relevance to science." And then here you said that it applied to "all of science."
fresco

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 01:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
One of my most memorable life moments was the time I served Mass in St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican

I don't doubt it. Communal word magic is powerful stuff. Maybe you should contemplate the implications of that.
Quote:
Language speaks the man
Heidegger
neologist

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 02:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . The best that reason, logic, and science can do is to show that we do not know if there are gods or not.
Scientific knowledge is acquired by degrees of possibility, proability, and certainty.

Reason and logic, on the other hand, are generally attempts to arrive at certainty. Using plane geometry as an example, the Pythagorean theorem works out the same every time. It gets dicier in solid geometry, trigonometry, and calculus, perhaps because it becomes increasingly difficult to visualize. Still, the basic math used in the science to build our homes and roads has served us well for centuries.

We try to begin with falsifiable hypotheses. It's easier in the basic physical sciences. More difficult when we study the genome. But, if we start with agreed upon hypotheses (axioms) logical propositions and accepted
neologist

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 03:19 pm
@neologist,
Drat!
I put my phone down in mid post before I could edit. So, if anything doesn't make sense or is improperly spelled, blame a hamster.

Bottom line:
If we start with the same axioms, agreed propositions and the meaning of collected data (evidence) we should reach the same conclusions.

What would be your axioms, Frank?
martinies

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 09:41 pm
@neologist,
Frank is on the citadel of what is ment to be . Neutrality
martinies

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 11:52 pm
@martinies,
God is neutrality. Frank then must be = god.
martinies

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 01:02 am
@martinies,
Well it must be that franks piont of view is the nearest to gods in this debate because its the most neutral to the event. And therefor over rides other pionts of view which come from inside the event. How it is is how its ment to be and frank is neutral to that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:45 am
@InfraBlue,
I'll play your game.

My response is: It does.
Frank Apisa

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:51 am
@fresco,
I suppose you consider that clever, Fresco.

Even though I am now an agnostic, I am proud that I had the opportunity to serve Mass in St. Peters.

Things must be pretty bad with you for you to get off by mocking the pride I have in that moment.

But that seems to be the usual for you.

Must be a sad life you are living. I hope you can excuse the smile on my face. I really do pity you despite it.

Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:53 am
@neologist,
If you can get science, reason, or logic to lead to "there is at least one god", Neo...

...do it.

And then we can discuss what you have come up with.

So...do it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:55 am
@neologist,
Use your axioms, Neo...and we can talk about the value of them after you use them to do what you are questioning.

Just use science, reason, or logic to show "there is at least one god."
martinies

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 04:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
See frank really is god.
martinies

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 06:23 am
@martinies,
Well franks consciousness is god anyway. Otherwise he would not have a conscience.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 07:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I'll play your game.

My game? You're the one making the assertions.

So then how does it apply to meteorology?
Frank Apisa

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 09:21 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I'll play your game.

My game? You're the one making the assertions.

So then how does it apply to meteorology?

Meteorology cannot lead to "there are no gods" any more than geologists can.

Okay?
InfraBlue

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 10:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
So what? How is that relevant to meteorology and geology?
Frank Apisa

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 10:11 am
@InfraBlue,
Blue...I have no idea of what in hell you are asking.

What is your problem...and why can you not ask whatever you are asking for whatever reason you are asking it...in a coherent and complete way...

...so that I do know what I am supposed to be answering?