Why do people deny evolution?

neologist

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 12:03 pm
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:
JimmyJ's words: 
I guess you enjoy when women suck on your nipples, and therefore they must be evolutionarily advantageous.

anonymously99's words:
I would suck on a man's nipples for him, without him asking.  Wink
Shh! Don't tell Jimmy! Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 12:06 pm
@farmerman,
Your input instructive as always, General.
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 12:17 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Jimmy--some humans are inherently curios and reasonable, and the economic benefits of science is obvious.

Only a fool waiting for extinction would consider anything else.

Perhaps thats the point--perhaps the best option would be to refuse Evolutionary Medical advances to those who deny its validity, removing those who deneigh evolution from the gene pool.
Are you saying I should deneigh only what I hear from the horse's mouth? Pe raps only those who can explain what is known about the theory. Oh, wait. . .

0 Replies

JimmyJ

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:20 am
@neologist,
Simultaneous?

/facepalm

You've learned nothing in this entire conversation.
JimmyJ

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:20 am
@spendius,
The danger existed.

We just didn't know of it.
neologist

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:28 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
Simultaneous?

/facepalm

You've learned nothing in this entire conversation.
You have offered nothing worth learning. You apparently don't understand the necessity of these 3 attributes developing at the same time. Or, can you explain how a cetacean calf could survive a head first birth?
JimmyJ

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:34 am
@neologist,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_cetaceans

If there's one thing you should learn about science from all of this it's that evolution occurs over a long period of time (though you've already mentioned that you have no desire to learn about science regardless of any evidence presented).

You can live in ignorance, I suppose. In the meantime, remember when you get your immunizations and shots or if (his noodliness forbid) you become sick with some disease that evolution(and the study thereof) is what made your treatment possible.

So many people don't have any idea what science is doing for them every day.
neologist

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:39 am
@JimmyJ,
The problems with the migrating nostril are beyond the explanation of time.

It's a matter of attitude, or confirmation bias.

God forbid we should have to admit there is a creator, eh?

JimmyJ

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:55 am
@neologist,
Funny you keep mentioning "confirmation bias". That is a common characteristic in many creationists like yourself.

The fact of the matter is, I've posted multiple links to evidences and provided you with everything you've asked and you still refuse to accept the truth.

"admit there is a creator"? You say this as if there's any evidence that would warrant such an admission. However, that's a discussion for my other thread.
neologist

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 08:20 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
The fact of the matter is, I've posted multiple links to evidences and provided you with everything you've asked and you still refuse to accept the truth.
My words, exactly.

The reason we talk past each other lies in the axioms from which we start.
Setanta

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 08:24 am
@neologist,
Only if by "axioms from which we start" you mean your refusal to acknowledge any other authority than your idiosyncratic and quixotic interpretation of scripture--a scripture which is the ignorant maundering of a collection of bronze age hillbillies.
neologist

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 08:29 am
@Setanta,
Good morning, Set.
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:35 pm
@neologist,
I don't understand. As humans, most of us have a hunger for greater knowledge and explanation.

It's amazing how some creationists like yourself can turn this hunger off and on when it doesn't coincide with your beliefs..
neologist

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:01 pm
@JimmyJ,
You really don't get it.
Time will help you grow
Frank Apisa

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:02 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You really don't get it.

!
neologist

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

neologist wrote:

You really don't get it.

!
You are a speedy one, Frank
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:19 pm
Quote:
JimmyJ said: I don't understand. As humans, most of us have a hunger for greater knowledge and explanation

Good for you mate, try listening to JC, he said-
"I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (Matt 13:35)
Hey Spock will you listen?

"Affirmative, and please no more "I'm all ears" jokes at my expense"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-vwj.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 02:28 pm
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
So many people don't have any idea what science is doing for them every day.

It is an easy thing for a populist demagogue to present the benign aspects of science and ignore its capacity for destruction. There are massacres galore throughout history but without scientific methods the one in the 1940s outmatched the lot of them. The technologies which made it possible, the gas, the railways and the communications are all scientific productions. As was the organised command structures.

Science has as much a capacity to destroy as it has to benefit. Probably more so. The benefits might be the destructive agent. From an evolutionary point of view denying evolution might be better than not doing.

In either case a faith is involved. Both deriving from human hubris: Christian and Humanist alike. And thus the meek will inherit the earth. If there are any of them left.

I have little doubt that we will have to discover the correct choice the hard way just as all the other organisms have had to do.

I don't think the easy way represents a realistic alternative.

spendius

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 02:36 pm
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
The danger existed.

We just didn't know of it.

What danger?
spendius

Wed 25 Dec, 2013 02:54 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
-a scripture which is the ignorant maundering of a collection of bronze age hillbillies.

What consternation in Setanta's household it would cause if that assertion proved to be incorrect. Which, of course, it is.

Take, for example, what someone might learn about American life from edgar's posts compared to Setanta's. The hillbillies of all ages might maunder a bit but the writers of scripture were not ignorant unless them not being able to have a microwave dinner constitutes ignorance. Which only a Christian would say was the case. And set about putting it right.

0 Replies