Why do people deny evolution?

Quehoniaomath

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:13 am
Actually the whole nonsens of evolution is explained thus:

It is neccessary to have a prior belief in evolution as a fact, , in order to accept the non-evidence that supports it. This is of course totally illogical, but far from unusual in a science that claims to be paramount.

Hence, evolution is a religion and has lots of dogma's that people BELIEVE.

No one is able to 'see evidence' for evolution without having these BELIEFS

So, you do BELIEVE in the evolution shite, it really has nothing to do what some people here call 'science'

They just named their religion 'science', it is also a word game.

But calling a religion 'science' doesnn't make it 'science' of course.

But it is very very difficult for people to accept the fact that they have duped years and years and years.

Really, it is the Emperor's Clothes, again and again.

FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 01:48 am
@Herald,
Herald wrote:

FBM wrote:
Stochastic, phenomenological...I do not think these words mean what you think they mean.
     O.K., let's start from the very beginning: what are your personal definitions of stochastic system and phenomenology (science)? Forget about whether you believe in something or not (religion, big bang or whatever) - how do you classify the visions of the prophets (if objectively existed) as an atheist, for example?
     BTW, where is your evidence that no information is missing in the Universe ... in the past 13.8 Bya for example (if the calibration of FM is valid ... and in case he has ever had any of the kind)?

How about we start from the real beginning. Where's the evidence for your god?
Builder

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 01:52 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Tell your story walking to the biotech labs, mista.

While pretending to "feed the world" ™ , they are battling an ever-evolving array of pests and viruses and diseases.

Take your ball, or your puck, and go play with the children. Okay?
Setanta

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:28 am
@FBM,
A fascinating article, and one of the few germane posts in this thread.
FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:33 am
@Setanta,
Glad you liked it. I found the article thought-provoking and insightful. Unlike most of the posts in this thread. Wink
Quehoniaomath

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:35 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Tell your story walking to the biotech labs, mista.

While pretending to "feed the world" ™ , they are battling an ever-evolving array of pests and viruses and diseases.

Take your ball, or your puck, and go play with the children. Okay?

Take it easy girly. I feel a lot of frustration in your posting, how come?
Where did I wrote there are no viruses etc???????
That is right. NOWHERE!

So, why this posting of yours? Something I said? Wink
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:36 am
@FBM,
why do we have to have evidence for god and no evidence for evolution??????

what a mad mad mad world.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:50 am
@FBM,
I especially like bringing up the point about the lack of judgement exercised by the 24 hour media where the use of "pundits" has erroneously given an appearance that many scientific issues have two coequal yet opposing views. .
Also, he agrees with my own minority opinions about NOT fronting guys like Richard Dawkins , whose strident atheist position overshadows his good scientific arguments.basically Dawkins "pisses everybody off and he does it almost as stand up comedy" The author , rather would see that faces of guys like Ken Miller, or Barry Lynn be engaged to help the causes.
I agree with Ken Miller because hes able to dwell comfortably in that world of " Fundamentalist Christian Science Views"

Good article-not a lot of phony recapitulation "in other words"
Quehoniaomath

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:53 am
@farmerman,
Dawkins has good scientific arguments???????????????????????????????

tell them!!!!!!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:15 am
@FBM,
And there's a few good practical advices in there. Very useful article!
0 Replies

FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 07:24 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, I know what you mean. I sort of hung out with the Dawkins crowd there for a while, but I got pushed away by the narrow-minded negativity and sheer aggression espoused by so many (not all) of them. To be honest, I don't know anything about Ken Miller or Barry Lynn; I don't spend much time anymore with the theist-atheist debate. I would if I could find someone who could discuss it maturely and with mutual respect, but the discussion too often devolves into name-calling, one-ups manship, the other person typing in all caps (which is the major reason I put people on Ignore), etc.

One thing, though, is that not many theists are adept at recognizing their own informal fallacies. They so often resort to circular reasoning, appeals to emotion, etc, and shift the goal posts when its pointed out. Really, as far as I'm concerned, what goes on in their minds is none of my business, anyway, until they make it my business by their behavior towards me, or by destructive behavior to the public at large. Likewise, I don't consider what goes on in my head to be anybody else's business unless I'm doing them some harm.
farmerman

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:20 am
@FBM,
Ken Miller taught graduate bio and evolutionary bio at Brown and, as a devout Catholic, he espouses the transcendental god story. Hes a firm believer , but also a practicing evolutionary biologist who , in the front of his classroom, had a scroll that quoted Galileo:

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed me with senses, reason, and intellect has intended me to forego their use

His noodgery of Creationism, ID, and the " gungas and Quahogs of the world" has been gentle an without the rancor that almost ALL internet debates degrade to.

Barry Lynn is actually a past neighbor Pennsylvanian kid who, born several years in front of me, had set the tone for the "Separation of Church and State" Movement of the 70's. Hes a lawyer and an ordained United Methodist Minister(I think) who deals in the substance of the areas of responsibility of both religion and science and history. He too, like Ken Miller, deals more with trying to affect legislation and further to stop the creeping decay of the existing "free Expression " and the "Establishment" clauses of the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights. Hes a mensch and doesn't adopt the low grounds of argument that Dawkins does by ridiculing believers or that Duane Gish used to do by ridiculing "Evolution as nothing but atheistic materialistic anti-religion"
Quehoniaomath

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:25 am
PROBLEM STILL EXISTS!

NO INTERMEDIATE FOSSILS TO BE FOUND!!!!

0 Replies

FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:33 am
@farmerman,
I'm taking names from that post to look further into. Anyone from either side who can discuss ideas without rancor and venom is OK in my book. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/icon_cheers.gif
farmerman

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:36 am
@FBM,
Ken Miller hs a pretty good ynthesis of hiw worldview in a book he wrote several years ago
In Search of Darwin's God
farmerman

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:39 am
@farmerman,
OOPS, Millers book was FINDING DARWIN's GOD

Herbert Wendt wrote IN SEARCH OF ADAM which is a great synopsis of what was known about paleoanthropology in the late 1950's. It amazing how much weve discovered since then
FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:57 am
@farmerman,
Past bedtime here, but I scrounged around for reviews on Finding Darwin's God.

From one:

Quote:
In conclusion, I was left with the image of someone straining and sweating to force the proverbial square peg in the round hole. After managing to cram it in part way, he steps back and proudly says, “There, see how easy that was? See how easily those fit?” And my reaction is, “Hmmm.”

In full here: http://spectrummagazine.org/node/1150
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 10:15 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Really, as far as I'm concerned, what goes on in their minds is none of my business, anyway, until they make it my business by their behavior towards me, or by destructive behavior to the public at large.

I like that! It speaks to how I think about people who think differently - about many subjects. Their beliefs are as valid as mine. We all have our flaws and quirks - when observed by others.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 10:51 am

Then they can find out for themselves how stupid evolution really is!

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:44 pm
From your track record on a2k quahog you are the persoowho needs lessons in how to think; not evolutionist
We do just fine.

0 Replies