Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 08:29 am
Take one of the most important tests you will ever take in your life ... and leave your results here:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/how-british-are-you

Quote:

You got: As British as Stephen Fry walking a corgi outside Buckingham Palace

You’re awkward. You’re easily embarrassed. You’re sickeningly polite. You’re as British as they come!

http://s3-ak.buzzfeed.com/static/2013-12/enhanced/webdr06/10/11/enhanced-buzz-12474-1386692258-0.jpg

Izzie

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 08:47 am
@tsarstepan,
You’re awkward. You’re easily embarrassed. You’re sickeningly polite. You’re as British as they come!

<goes to put the kettle on> Mr. Green
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:11 am
@Izzie,
The easily embarrassed seems to happen less often as I get older, but yes....I can definitely relate to the others.

<goes and gets the custard creams>

Later: Yep, count me in. Exactly the same result.
jespah

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
Damn, that's one well-walked Corgi. And, yeah, I got that, too.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:36 am
@jespah,
Bostonians are just Brits/Irish with better teeth, at the end of the day.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:44 am
I got: "Probably American"

(I don't even bad about that)
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:51 am
@tsarstepan,
Oops - here are my results :

You got: As British as Stephen Fry walking a corgi outside Buckingham Palace

0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 02:31 pm
How British Are You?

You got: Certainly American

Seriously check your passport and leave your banjo in the shack

What’s all this old rowlocks!

Loo?
Hob Nobs?
Builders breakfast?

Don’t they sprechen English over there or whatever!

http://youtu.be/8z2M_hpoPwk

Ps. festive greetings Tzar, thank you for 12 months of gentle wit and humor, it has been much appreciated by all my folk down in Deliverance.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Says I am 'probably American'.
Okay.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:20 pm
@Sturgis,
That's because you didn't hold on tight to your hobnob.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:27 pm
@Lordyaswas,
That's because I couldn't figure out what the bloody devil a hobnob is/was.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:38 pm
@Sturgis,
Hobnobs were invented by the devil.

Only the British know the secret within.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Wouldn't you like to share the information with a Polish/Belgian/god-knows-what-else person?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm probably a goddam AMERICAN!?!?!?!?!?

Never heard of bloody australia, have they?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Apparently just clicking doesn't get a review, one has to sign up.

Well, I took notes as I clicked.

1. small caffe latte doppio, no foam, depending on where and how sophisticated the airport is. I wouldn't order that in Tijauna. Yes, I've left and landed in Tijuana. But that was before I'd ever heard of caffe lattes.
2. I once nodded and paid, but that was in Guadalajara and the salon person was proud. This was in a hotel. I went around the corner and washed the whole shebang out.
Ordinarily, I say what I think when I detect it happening.
3. Ask a repeat
4. This week
5. Laugh, or give some kind of oops signal
6. Assuming I don't hate the item, I'd eat it if I wanted to.
7. Huh? I'd look at the other person before deciding. Haven't been in a bar in a long time - that didn't happen in my experience.
8. Today I wore a third sweater.
9. Eh? First of all, I'd say "Is England..."; I notice the guardian sports people do that too. None of the answers fit what I think.
10. Probably tap.
11. Nod if there is eye contact, give the person a rest if not. Talk if seems warranted.

Strange quiz.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
@Tryagain,
Loo is lavatory/toilet

http://www.forrmobility.co.uk/Products/BathToiletAids/Hi-Loo%20Raised%20Toilet%20Seat.gif

Hob Nobs are biscuits

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FMNaD-0Gjwk/TqqNdEZNQmI/AAAAAAAAADM/1UMhfoh55qE/s1600/hobnobs.jpg

I think Builders Breakfast is tea? We certainly have English Breakfast

http://www.bakersandlarners.co.uk/uploads/images/products/product_3571_large.jpg

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:50 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I'm probably a goddam AMERICAN!?!?!?!?!?

Never heard of bloody australia, have they?

Well you got that ciggy dangling in your mouth like an American.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:07 pm
How British Are You?
Probaby American - check your passport (it said).

Yep - even though I lived there for eight years and drink tea and know what hobnobs are - and chocolate and caramel hobnobs and chocolate digestives - I would not either refuse to pay for a haircut or pay for it without being satisfied and go pay for another somewhere else: I'd take the middle and sensible ground and say something like, 'Yeah, okay, but I was thinking I'd like it a little shorter here and here and pay the girl as well as tell her what I wanted her to do to get what I wanted (which is part and parcel of her job)so everyone's happy.
I'd also talk to people in a bar or on a train and be friendly. I had one British friend who told me that she really loved that about Americans. She said once she and her husband were standing looking at the Grand Canyon next to another obviously British couple (she had heard them speaking) but neither of them felt comfortable approaching the other to even ask where in England they were from whereas she said whenever she went out to a pub with me, if she left to use the loo, she knew that by the time she came back I would know the names of the people at the table next to ours as well as their birthdays and favorite colors! Little bit of an exaggeration, but I have always felt comfortable talking to strangers and was raised by a mother who led by example and made me feel it was almost rude NOT to say hello if someone was in a room with you - even if you'd never seen them before.

Yeah - I love a lot of Brits but I'm happy to be American.

Quote:
You got: Probably American

Seriously. Check your passport
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:09 pm
I'm only PROBABLY American. Damn, I shouldn't have had that cup of tea last month.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:21 pm
Crikey, I got 'probably American' too.

Stone the flamin' crows!
0 Replies