revelette

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:15 am
@McGentrix,
At least they wouldn't be as illogical.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 01:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
To whom does he need to justify his support of the budget deal, if not grass roots conservatives who self-identify with the Tea Party?

If it his strategy was to blame the Tea Party in an insulting manner; in order to justify the deal to Tea Party members, he's a bigger jerk that I thought.

Not giving the Democrats another "government shutdown" theme to make political hay over is, politically, a good strategic move, but it doesn't require bashing the Tea Party.

I suppose it's conceivable that it was a ploy to make some voters think that the GOP is distancing itself from the so-called Tea Party influence, but if this were the case, why haven't we seen other establishment Republicans joining in?

Perhaps the plan is for this approach to develop over the time between now and the next elections, but this would be yet another stupid move by the GOP. The number of people who won't vote for any Republican candidate because of fear and loathing of the Tea Party is substanitally smaller the number of Republicans who will stay home if they perceive the GOP has embraced what they consider Rhinoism, and the number of the former who would ever consider voting for even a "Rhino" is smaller still.

If the GOP is to take back the Senate in 2014 it will need organization on the ground. Local Tea Party groups are their best resource for getting out the vote.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 01:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
To whom does he need to justify his support of the budget deal, if not grass roots conservatives who self-identify with the Tea Party?
exactly. based upon reports from Senate R's it is pretty clear that Boehner had given his word that he would never support a budget above a certain number, and he went over it. "i really did not want to break my word to you but you made me!" is what he was saying, a good offense is a good defense and all that.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 03:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
word is the Boehner loves being speaker, I think the dramatics were 100% about heading off a challange for that position, it had nothing to do about anything wider than that. given what we hear about the massive loss of enthusiasm for the D's from the young and Hispanics and to a lessor degree blacks I dont figure that sacrificing possibly some 2014 enthusiasm for R's from the far right even registered as much of a problem to Boehner. besides unless the D's could take the House, which there is almost no chance of, the 2014 election will change nothing. 2016 is the year that matters, and given how ObamaCare is shaping up the calculus that ObamaCare will be impossible to repeal in 2017 looks iffy..... I think that R's are planning to ride that horse to a sweep.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 04:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Remind me to never hire you as a strategy consultant.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 04:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Remind me to never hire you as a strategy consultant.

i have recommended nothing, I am telling you what my read of what others are doing is.....i am well aware that it is not conventional wisdom.
0 Replies