IGNORE BY DEFAULT?

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:53 am
As i look through the new posts, i see one thread after another which i have found interesting, but i look at the name of the last member to post, and think to myself "naw . . . she's a f*cking idiot," or, "i have no interest in reading anything that loon has to say on this subject."

So, do you have people on passive ignore? Do you simply have no interest in reading their typical drivel?

(By the way, this is not about personalities in the sense of shaming or ridiculing anyone--i'd prefer that people who respond don't mention names.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 687 • Replies: 11

Foofie

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:05 pm
While I will quickly scan many a post, by some of the more verbose posters, I never ignore a "Setanta post". However, when it is a post where he goes into the nuances of European history in the Middle Ages, my eyes gloss over, and I move along. But, when it is a post with some witty repartee, I am vindicated in believing that if one is born in NYC, one might somehow turn out with a more discerning eye, so to speak, of pompous pontificating. So, I never ignore a "Setanta post."

P.S.: I did mention the name "Setanta," since he originated this thread, and much of my comment is about my not "ignoring by default" his posts. How else would I have been able to have a reader know my post was about the thread's originator, unless I used the actual moniker? It's all just my opinion anyway. Plus, Setanta only said he'd "prefer" names not to be used. Bartleby the Scrivner (Melville's short story) also said he'd "prefer" not to do something. I would have "preferred" a direct order. Plus, I was not shaming anyone, just giving Setanta feedback he might or might not appreciate. But, since it was on his thread, he will not be ignoring it by default.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:17 pm
I suppose most of us do it to a greater or lesser extent. Sometimes it depends on the topic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:57 pm
Miller, you're a f*cking idiot, and you're attempting to be a provocative asshole. Don't expect a reply to your typical drivel.
Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:00 pm
I guess what i was getting at, EB, is how quickly do people put other members on ignore.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:40 pm
@Setanta,
I put no one on ignore,regardless of de fault
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:44 pm
Sometimes with lightning speed. I have the odd notion that I ought to enjoy my experience here. There had been some I tolerated from Abuzz til somewhere along the way, long after a2k's inception. But I get crotchety in old age. Less tolerant.
timur

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:46 pm
I have nobody on ignore but I mainly ignore the ignorant..
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
But you're younger than me, Edgar.
And I am irrepressibly good natured.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can see that. What motivated me was seeing so many threads in which i take an interest for which the last member posting was someone whose typical drivel i would not bother to read. In your earlier post, you made a good point. There is, for example, one member here whose politics disgust me, and which i treat derisively. Therefore, when that member posts a political comment, i either ignore it, or provide a link to evidence that the member is full of horsie poop. That same member has, however, a subtle understanding of the sciences, and can communicate well and succinctly on scientific topics. So if the subject of a thread is scientific, i would also click on to see what that member had written.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 05:19 pm
I ignore some on religion/atheism threads, but read them elsewhere.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 10:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Miller, you're a f*cking idiot, and you're attempting to be a provocative asshole. Don't expect a reply to your typical drivel.

Your reply is quoted above. And, the term "provocative asshole" is just redundant in some circles.
0 Replies