Do you tip your bartender?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 09:20 am
@Germlat,
I've got enough to do without teaching a bunch of idiots how to spot the flaming obvious.
Germlat

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 09:30 am
@izzythepush,
Everyone thinks they can tell..that's why it's subjective
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 09:40 am
@Germlat,
You're repeating yourself.
Germlat

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
I your not getting the point. You think you can tell the difference and so do all the others you think are suckers..so it's subjective. So I'm supposed to take you at your word...Hmmm
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:05 am
@Germlat,
I don't give a monkeys what you do.
Germlat

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
Then why keep engaging me
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Not me.

I'm not trying to make a life long friend of any particular bartender, I just want a pleasent experience. A "false smile" (assuming I can detect the tender's insincerity) won't necessarily enhance the experience but it won't detract from it either. A rude bartender certainly will.

In any case, I've not run across many bartenders whose friendliness I thought was insincere. Perhaps many of them were acting, but, if so, they're very good actors and I enjoyed the performance and I'm willing to part with a few bucks for the theater.

I don't drink at a bar to come face to face with raw reality.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 01:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I don't drink at a bar to come face to face with raw reality.

That's the best bit.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 05:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Absolutely I say keep your bad mood or prejudices to yourself and let me have a good time... After all that's why I'm paying and your working. I've been on the other side of the coin..not that difficult to understand.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 05:22 pm
@Germlat,
It shouldn't be but obviously some are having difficulty with it: The ones who think service employees being pleasent to patrons is kissing the ass of The Man.
Mame

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 05:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know what all the fuss is about - either they're sincere or they're not - but who gives a shite? You're just there to buy something or have a meal, not make friends with them. And they're not there long, either - Can I get you any more coffee? - and then they bugger off.
Germlat

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 06:16 pm
@Mame,
For the most part!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 06:42 pm
@Mame,
Tell that to izzy
Germlat

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 06:57 pm
@Mame,
My exact sentiments!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 07:36 pm
Me, if I talk about food or booze, I just do. Of course, pay the tip, if that is usual in your country.
0 Replies

Nom de plume

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
A buck a round. Specialty drinks a little more.

On a separate note: And does anyone else think it's weird that people will go to a bar, sit at the bar and have long conversations with the barkeep? If the barkeep is serving as their confidant, therapist, substitute friend, shouldn't they get a HUGE tip? Who does that anyway? If I am going out drinking I go with friends, not alone. It's a social activity in my life. I can have a drink in my home alone, if I desire. Why bore the bartender?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 02:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not the one making a fuss, I just said I'd rather be served by a surly barman that one full of fake smiles. A lot of you have problems with that.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:00 am
Isn't it funny how quite a few threads start off with the participants stating their case and quickly taking sides, then passionately arguing that their case is the correct one whilst still being pretty reasonable.
The quoted part then commences, with stronger rebuff and counter argument, where slight digs and mild insults appear, when points over one's opponent will be attempted.
Outright warfare then ensues between individuals as the argument takes a more personal turn, and some on the sidelines then step in with what they consider a killer fact or question....one that will attempt to send the perceived upstart back to his or her place on A2K until the next "discussion" thread appears.
The upstart/s seldom scurry away though, and we enter the final phase where the same or near as dammit same threads of argument start to go round and round in circles until everyone feels like the orange has been squeezed dry and we all bugger off to the next thread, convincing ourselves that we have won.

I can now see and understand more of the American side of this tipping custom business a lot more than I could before.
I hope that quite a few of the Americans can see the British side of this argument and understand a bit of where we're coming from on all of this.
Whether we admit it is another thing, and as for whose way of doing things is best.....who cares at the end of the day.
The American way works in America.....20% tip as a marker, which goes to the low or unpaid waiting staff for them to earn a decent wage.
The British way works in Britain, token tips in ordinary pub situations by way of buying the properly salaried barstaff a drink now and then (which they usually convert into money and stick in a communial pot or whatever), and about 10% (optional, but my observations lead me to believe 10% is about the usual amount) tipped in a restaurant situation, where the properly salaried staff have served your every dining whim at table.

If I went to America, I would probably thoroughly enjoy the novelty of it all and very quickly tune into and follow their custom.
If an American came over here, I would hope that they would find novelty and enjoyment in the same way, and if they wanted to give our well paid barstaff a 20% tip, then don't take offence when the barman hands it back as an act of honesty, thinking you'd accidentally paid too much.

We have lovely, hardworking staff who really want to make sure you have a great time, and we have not so good staff, who should be working in another career (and usually get weeded out pretty fast)
Likewise, I would strongly suspect that you have the same split of good and bad staff over there.

Vive la difference, as the Germans would say.

Now, anyone seen the Wine Menu?.........
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Personally I try to adopt the custom of where I am visiting, but I do agree if the custom on the other side is generous, then why would it be considered anything else.

Funny thing - the other night hubby and I went Christmas shopping and stopped in this restaurant that we liked - for a drink and a couple of appetizers before heading home. Granted it was almost 10pm, but there were still people there - the bartender was terrible - (we've been there before and the bartender and servers are usually very good).

Any way he was older too so he should be experienced. He brought our drinks when we said thank you, he simply walked away (not to mention he basically threw the napkins down at us). It appeared by the way he was acting he was angry we came in. I think he was hoping for an early night as it was snowing and only crazies like my husband and I were out. My husband even being a former service and restaurant manager wanted to give him only 10%. I did insist we give him 15% as it was Christmas season and it is considered the low end of the tip scale - but I did think of this thread when doing so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:59 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Germlat wrote:

So I'm not trying to come off as a pompous jackass

Too late for that.

ha ha ha - you always make me laugh - you have a way with being straight to the point.
0 Replies