Carpet Installation

gollum

Sat 26 May, 2012 07:49 am
When the carpet installers install carpet in my apartment, am I supposed to tip them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

tsarstepan

Sat 26 May, 2012 09:45 am
@gollum,
The Wall St. Journal guide to tipping:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB112372794541010609.html

Quote:
From the wall street journal online:

"Etiquette and tipping experts agree that tipping a contractor and his employees isn't expected because contractors offer to do a job for you at a specific price. Any extra money they would want would be built into their bid. Also, it's a business relationship rather than one where they are performing a personal service for you like a waiter or a maid. But if the employees do extra jobs around the house, then experts say it is appropriate to tip a cash amount equivalent to the task; "tip gifts" such as cookies and drinks can count. "The key to tipping is whether or not it was outside the scope of what was normally expected," says Mark Brenner, author of "Tipping for Success!"

My opinion is that a little bit of courtesy (snacks, drinks, expression of appreciation etc.) goes a long way and upon completion of their work you feel compelled by a job well done to offer a little extra in the form of a tip - go for it, but do not feel obligated.
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Tue 29 May, 2012 04:52 pm
@gollum,
I agree with the previous poster.
I would also consider how their rate stacks up against other installers.
If they are on the high end, no tip!
If they clean up after themselves, aren't asking for a drink of water or to use the restroom every 15 minutes, they show up on time, they don't have to make a run to Home Depot for something they forgot to bring, they are not constantly on their cell phones, I don't have to witness the dreaded butt crack, they are not glancing lustfully at my 13 year old daughter, they don't block my neighbors in with their truck, they don't smell like alcohol, they don't leave all their trash all over the place after they eat lunch, they don't damage any property, and if they DON'T ask for a tip...I may tip them! Wink
0 Replies