22
   

Do you tip your bartender?

 
 
Germlat
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 01:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Same thing different smell in the U.S. You have different training according to place of employment . Many different types culinary degrees.
Walter Hinteler
 
  2  
Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 01:59 pm
@Germlat,
Our apprenticeship system knows 345 professions that require three years training.
Germlat
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 02:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Like I said different levels of culinary degrees
0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  2  
Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, Mac Donald's is coming to Germany?????? My apologies, I hope the Germans expect a better grade of food than most of America, which has been reduced to buying meat that was raised on factory farms. Full of antibiotics and fed improper feed so the conglomerate can make larger profits.
Walter Hinteler
 
  2  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:59 am
@glitterbag,
We've got McD since 1971.
Whta I do like with them, however, are their McCafés - opened here in first in 2003 (now e've got nearly 1,000).
Employees, btw, are paid according to tariff, and they've got nearly 2,500 apprentices all over Germany (65,000 emplyees).

Antibiotics are strictly regulated in European meat/beef. (Thus, the EU doesn't import meat/beef from the USA.)
hawkeye10
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 01:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
what is called "beef" might however be horse meat from Romania, so the moral high ground is somewhat diluted .
Frank Apisa
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 07:27 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

what is called "beef" might however be horse meat from Romania, so the moral high ground is somewhat diluted .


I loved that one, Hawk!!! Wink
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  3  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 07:42 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

what is called "beef" might however be horse meat from Romania, so the moral high ground is somewhat diluted .
Where? Certainly you can find black sheep/criminals everywhere, but here, horse meat is declared as such (and usually only sold at horse meat butcheries) and beef can be followed down (via the label) to the farm and cow.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  2  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 05:26 pm
@Linkat,
I don't wish to be fawned over, I just don't want to wait very long for a refill and I like a smiling, pleasant tender who will exchange a few words with a patron. Such attention should be the norm, but sadly it is not. If a tender is so inclined author without a tip, God Bless 'Em but they still deserve an expression of my appreciation. After all, we're not talking about huge sums.

I have had servers on distant shores tell me a tip wasn't required, and I'm fine with that and appreciative. I'll tell them I valued their service and they seem to appreciate it. I've never experienced a server indicating he or she was insulted by a tip, but I think that's because I don't tip with arrogance. It isn't difficult for someone in another country to figure out that I'm not a native. If they are going to be insulted by a well meaning tip from a Yank, then the hell with them.

I can't imagine a reason why I should abandon an American custom that is essentially generous.

Finn dAbuzz
 
  4  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 05:40 pm
@Lordyaswas,
The irony?

How hideous an injustice it is to have people who serve the public be compensated on the basis of the public's appreciation of the quality of that service.

I'm not taking a shot at Brits, but I've been served by a hell of a lot more surely tenders in London than in NYC.

Some people are not meant for service industries. Tipping insures that the ones, for whom it isn't a problem, are more likely to thrive, and the ones for whom it isn't are more likely to find a job where having a personality isn't important.

Leave it to a liberal to think that a snotty asses waiter deserves the same compensation as a friendly one.


roger
 
  1  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 06:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Kind of like Darwin's Law, eh Finn?
0 Replies
 
Germlat
 
  1  
Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 08:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
So I'm not trying to come off as a pompous jackass so give me a chance. Satisfaction with service of course is always subjective..I love food period ( and my wine for that matter). I've noticed in low cost places you get the chatty waitress trying to make sure she gets a tip. Mid-level cost restaurants you'll get usually what you pay for..expensive restaurants seem more concerned with the quality of food and drink and very expensive restaurants will go out of the way to make sure your experience in food and service was fab.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 04:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm not taking a shot at Brits, but I've been served by a hell of a lot more surely tenders in London than in NYC.


I'd rather be served by a surly barman than one with false smiles, all 'Have a nice day,' and 'How you're doing.' At least you know where are with them.
chai2
 
  3  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 07:48 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

So I'm not trying to come off as a pompous jackass


Too late for that.
Germlat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:01 am
@izzythepush,
How one perceives genuine is subjective..I make the call based on good service and don't give a rat's azz what their true intention is. It's all about the consumer's experience. As long as I'm getting what I paid for and the wait staff does it pleasingly .
Germlat
 
  2  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:03 am
@chai2,
Do tell dear based on what?
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  0  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:14 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

How one perceives genuine is subjective.


Bollocks.
Germlat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
I disagree . I've seen customers be very content with service and wait staff snickering behind their back.
izzythepush
 
  0  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:21 am
@Germlat,
Well they're ******* idiots then.
Germlat
 
  1  
Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
Well maybe you could teach a class on how to tell between sincerity and the opposite in the restaurant business
 

Related Topics

BANNED FOR NOT TIPPING - Discussion by Sglass
Why Tip? The history of tipping in America - Discussion by Robert Gentel
How to Tip While Traveling? - Discussion by ToniAndersen
Carpet Installation - Question by gollum
Massage - Question by jodie34
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/01/2022 at 06:33:55