izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 08:59 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

You've probably even got a better cricket team at the moment, as well.

Ain't it true.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:03 am
@izzythepush,
If you keep saying it, maybe it'll become true?

Hmmm... 41%. Nice figure - I like it. It's not 50% but close.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:11 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
1) 600,000 words was YOUR figure for the total size of the language, and it's a rather absurd figure given that the average dude knows no more than 30,000 words.
Why is it absurd? It's the English language. I don't use many of the words that other English speakers use. Regionalisms are a large part of the language so your attempt to restrict the number of words to 30,000 is an attempt to restrict it to one person or one region.

Quote:

2) My point was ALWAYS about the most frequently used English words, of which I always said French borrowings represented "close to half".
Except again, you used 40% of 10,000 of the most common words and then pretend that extends to 30,000 words an average dude knows. Your math sucks. There is no other way to explain this to you. You can't make wild assumptions and then pretend that if 1+1 = 2 that means you can claim it proves 4.

Quote:

3) You are a sore loser.
I'm not sore and I haven't been wrong yet. I tend to be a bit obsessive about accuracy in numbers. You haven't been close and you keep changing your numbers to try to support your original claim. The simple fact is, your original claim was wrong and you don't want to admit it.
timur

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:24 am
Looks like both sides are fighting over something none can substantiate properly.

Out there, there's lots of different opinions and figures, same as we have been seeing here.

Laura K. Lawless wrote:
More than a third of all English words are derived directly or indirectly from French, and it's estimated that English speakers who have never studied French already know 15,000 French words.

Let's agree that the impact of French in English is "considerable".
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:57 am
@parados,
The size of the English language is not the issue being discussed. All I wanted to say is that French borrowings represents close to half of commonly used English words. The 10,000 most frequently used words are a good enough approximation for me. Maybe 41% is not "close" enough for you, but in any case that's what the data says, and it's way more than what you thought it would be.

There's a clique around here, with very big mouths but no knowledge whatsoever, ganging up on people and displaying casual prejudice in the process...

The worse part is, you actually get angry when your victim does not agree with you, or don't laugh at your sodding jokes, as if it was some sort of offense to disagree with you, to not find funny what you find funny, or worse, to know stuff that you don't know about. That general lack of curiosity and interest, that thick lard of vanity so many posters here have wrapped their mind in, that's the saddest thing, especially for such a site that tried to valorise expertise. Though I suppose that dream is long dead anyway. Like, who's the expert about English around here? Rolling Eyes
parados

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:03 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Let's agree that the impact of French in English is "considerable".

Something I've never disputed. 29% is considerable. It just isn't 50%.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:15 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The worse part is, you actually get angry when your victim does not agree with you, or don't laugh at your sodding jokes, as if it was some sort of offense to disagree with you, to not find funny what you find funny, or worse, to know stuff that you don't know about.

That is funny but then I always find projection humorous.

You are the one that is insisting you are correct even though it's clear you are insisting on some puffery. If you had merely stated that French was a large contributor we could have all agreed. You however have insisted on applying numbers that can't be supported without ridiculous twisting and turning. By the way 41% is close to 40 not half. Being off by 20-25% isn't close enough under most circumstances.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:21 am
@parados,
Quote:
By the way 41% is close to 40 not half. Being off by 20-25% isn't close enough under most circumstances.

I was off by 9%. Your math sucks... Smile And yes, I am entitled to my opinion and to insisting on it, especially if supported by FACTS. Now go cry on the shoulder of another gang member.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:32 am
Another of Olive Tree's favorite delusions appears to be that people are out to get him. Didn't he earlier allege that people here don't like him because he's French? This guy is a trip.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:48 am
@Setanta,
LOL. Don't get ahead of yourself. You can't "get me". You'd need a functioning brain and some actual knowledge for that... But your ineffectual bunch did gang up against me, with all sorts of funny funny jokes about the French, huh? You do put up a rather depressing front of narrow-mindedness, but it's nothing remotely challenging.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:59 am
@Olivier5,
Certainly you won't be challenged when you're content to queer the numbers. I told no jokes about the French, nor have i seen anyone else here do that. You're attempting to perpetuate your persecution delusion. I also see that you continue to address criticism with personal slurs. That's about all you've got going for you.
parados

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:03 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
By the way 41% is close to 40 not half. Being off by 20-25% isn't close enough under most circumstances.

I was off by 9%. Your math sucks... Smile And yes, I am entitled to my opinion and to insisting on it, especially if supported by FACTS. Now go cry on the shoulder of another gang member.

Your math still sucks.
41 is not 91% of 50 and 50 is not 109% of 41.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:08 am
@Setanta,
Let's talk numbers if you really want to. Have you seen my latest evidence? The Origin of the English language by Joseph M. Williams - see post # 5,523,075.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:18 am
@parados,
Alright, whatever. 41% is a "considerable" figure...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:21 am
@Olivier5,
Which doesn't support your original claim of "half the language," and which does not tell us a thing about the words which English-speakers use conversationally every day. I see you're evading the point i've been repeating about your delusions, such as that everyone here is against you because you're French. No one here is against you for any reason, but plenty of people here are arguing against your claims because they're so damned goofy.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:26 am
@Setanta,
I thought you wanted to talk about the numbers? Are my 'delusions' so fascinating to you that you can't talk of anything else?

You guys know you tend to gang up. You do, and you become ugly when you do it. Get a clue.

My original claim of "half the language" has evolved to "41% of the 10,000 most frequent words". That's neat and precise. You want to argue with this, or you agree?

Rockhead

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:34 am
@Olivier5,
nobody has called you a cheese eating surrender monkey yet

(unless I missed that part)

I think you've gotten off lightly so far...
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:49 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I think you've gotten off lightly so far...

Sure I did. These poodles aren't that heavy and their bite is meek.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:50 am
@Olivier5,
I don't think that was my point, but ok...
Olivier5

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:54 am
@Rockhead,
What was your point?