izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:31 pm
@Olivier5,
I got them alright, they were laboured.
Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:32 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've always thought you were a ******* idiot Fluff, nothing to do with stereotypes, everything to do with you being a ******* idiot.

Its a gift.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:33 pm
@Foofie,
One with which you have been singularly blessed.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
LOL. Which joke did you get?
Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

...Now, imagine a French comedy show where all the Englishmen are closet homosexuals and the English women have two meter long teeth... Who in France would like to watch such a crude and rude show? No one, I wish to think...

Well, I do believe that the French have a more refined aesthetic taste for beauty. Meaning the French can tell a beautiful women; so can Italians discern beauty, and appreciate it. However, I am not so sure the Brits can always really discern beauty. I think they just like tallness and blondness, perhaps? But, the Anglo-Saxon face is not known to be "pretty." So, why would any French want to see British women with big teeth (they can watch Bugs Bunny cartoons for that)?

And, Englishman are not known to be closet homosexuals. There is a rumor that they have a disproportionate number of transvestites though.

Plus, a positive stereotype of the French is that they can get the darker complected populations of the world to relate to them better than more northern Europeans. Even back in the U.S. colonial days, they managed to get friendly with the Native Americans. I don't know why?

However, you are atypical, in that most French, I thought, could care less what a non-French person's opinion of the French was. Perhaps, you should weigh the advantages of being less "other directed" in your concerns?
Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:42 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

No but you are posting dozens of vids about the French. How come all these vids even EXIST in the first place, for you to post them? What sort of need to they cater for? That's what I am asking, because again, there's no similar phenomenon on our side of the Chanel.

Do Americans have many comedies centred on the Canadians or on the Mexicans?

No. Why alienate our neighbors?
Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

One with which you have been singularly blessed.

I was born under a lucky star!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:59 pm
@Olivier5,
Rude stereotyping.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

No but you are posting dozens of vids about the French. How come all these vids even EXIST in the first place, for you to post them? What sort of need to they cater for? That's what I am asking, because again, there's no similar phenomenon on our side of the Chanel.

Do Americans have many comedies centred on the Canadians or on the Mexicans?

None that I'm aware of, but since I'm not the arbiter of taste, who the hell knows absolutely.

I would like to ask all of you a favor, could you stop the generalizing and nit-picking? Can you try? And by the way, as a woman I chaff at the idea of "your women" v "our women". What's next? One country's men are more manly than another country's men????? Which country has the prettiest children?

This whole thread strikes me as schoolyard baiting, my Dad can beat up your Dad. Puleeeze!!!!!!
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:30 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
No. Why alienate our neighbors?

My point entirely.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:34 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
However, you are atypical, in that most French, I thought, could care less what a non-French person's opinion of the French was. Perhaps, you should weigh the advantages of being less "other directed" in your concerns?

I couldn't personally care less what Izzy thinks of the French. I am just using my adversary's weaknesses, eg his prejudice, to my advantage....
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
This whole thread strikes me as schoolyard baiting, my Dad can beat up your Dad. Puleeeze!!!!!!

Indeed, it's only going downhill and it should stop. Maybe we should create a new thread called "The Never Ending Anglo-French Debate".
glitterbag

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Lets not and just pretend we did.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:04 pm
@izzythepush,
The point is that the joke is always on the French spy, his deeply-engrained stupidity and on rude stereotyping. It's all second degree, laughing AT the stereotypER, not WITH him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:39 am
@Foofie,
Not only that the USA is similar in religion to "Germanic" countries, most of US-citizens have "Germanic" ancestry (all those Anglo-Saxons, Germans, Scandinavians ...)

I'm not sure, but I think that the concept of " win-win strategies" was only developed in the last century. So you are correct that it is not part of the "Germanic" culture.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:34 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I couldn't personally care less what Izzy thinks of the French. I am just using my adversary's weaknesses, eg his prejudice, to my advantage....

I've told you I'm quite ambivalent about you all. I met wonderful people in the Vendee, really awful people in Paris and ordinary people in Cherbourg. I prefer Calvados to Somerset cider brandy, and that's saying something because I love Somerset.

You're the one insisting people pay attention to you, accusing those who don't of being prejudiced. You've ended up looking very foolish.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 04:06 am
@izzythepush,
We had been last year to a cider farm in Devon (near Milton Abbot) ... they sell there quite good stuff, I was told (I don't drink alcohol) including Somerset Royal Cider Brandy ("Somerset", in "West Devon", sic!).
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 04:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It is good stuff, I've visited the distillery in Langport, and Somerset scrumpy is second to none, however Calvados is better than Somerset Cider Brandy. Although there's not much to choose between Somerset and French brie.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 04:52 am
@izzythepush,
During the times, I was still drinking, I've been to some very smal Calvados (farm-) distilleries. I think, they've got a better knowledge about how to make than on the other side of the Channel.

I agree that there are many excellent English cheeses, including the Brie-style one.
But a real Brie de Meaux is unique ...

[.. and it's unique as well that I got lost driving in Meaux ages ago.]
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 04:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A bit like this, Lost in Meaux (sic)