Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 05:22 am
@izzythepush,
Wink
(It really was awful ... in times without sat nav and no map in the car.)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I've told you I'm quite ambivalent about you all. I met wonderful people in the Vendee, really awful people in Paris and ordinary people in Cherbourg.

Me too, I met with awful people in Paris, and also in London. Met a couple god-awful people in a pub in Oxford, and some downright racist Brits on A2K, but then also some good people in Bath and a very nice Englishman once gave me a lift as hitchhiker from Calais to Le Mans...

Does that mean I am 'ambivalent' about the Brits? Or does it mean there are good and bad people everywhere?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:21 pm
@Olivier5,
I don't know how you feel, I'm not a mind reader. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel.
Germlat

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:33 pm
@rosborne979,
I think social celebrations help us get through the monotony of winter. As far as traditions there are as much "pagan" as they are Christian. Who cares I enjoy the getting together as an excuse...actually not always Ha-ha. But at the end of the day I do love my family no matter how different we may be fro one another.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Lame. I'm not asking about feelings but meaning.

When one visits any country, one is bound to meet with a variety of characters. There are good and bad people everywhere.

I am sorry if this is seen by some as stating the obvious but we are at an early stage of Izzy's detox. We have to start with baby steps...
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:18 pm
@Olivier5,
It can mean whatever you want it to.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Not only that the USA is similar in religion to "Germanic" countries, most of US-citizens have "Germanic" ancestry (all those Anglo-Saxons, Germans, Scandinavians ...)

I'm not sure, but I think that the concept of " win-win strategies" was only developed in the last century. So you are correct that it is not part of the "Germanic" culture.

Here in the U.S., probably due to original ancestors coming from one European country or another, many people self-identify as Americans of a "specific" ancestry. Meaning WASP's have British ancestry; Germans have German ancestry, Irish have Irish ancestry, Italians have Italian ancestry. Jews are either of Eastern European, German, or Sephardic ancestry (I'm not including a small number of Israeli expatriates). I have heard it said more than once that German Jews "out-Germaned the Germans" and therefore there was resentment towards their being so successful at being Germanic?

So, you might be wasting your time to point out to an American that Americans of European descent often come from some ancient gene pool. I believe that is partially correct, since Scandanavians were separate, and even made the Germans, and the rest of Europe blond in earlier centuries. And, I think that there are few Italians that identify with Germans (in the "boot" of Italy), other than admitting that the "sacking of Rome" was done by a Germanic people that likely mixed with the Romans.

As a high school history teacher once taught, Germany was a late comer to the colonial powers, so they were literally playing catch-up in the early 20th century to be a western power, if I understood him correctly.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:52 am
@Foofie,
Entshuldik!

It was you, who used the term "Germanic" not me.
So your sidetrack now has nothing to do with that to what I responded.

A gutn.
Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Entshuldik!

It was you, who used the term "Germanic" not me.
So your sidetrack now has nothing to do with that to what I responded.

A gutn.

I don't understand "Entshuldik"? And your focus on my term Germanic is not responding to my post.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 10:56 am
Anyway, about England's French origins, Jack Straw spilled the beans... :-)

Quote:
British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw address to the U.N. Security Council on 14 Feb 2003 (run up to the Iraq war):

SEC. STRAW: Mr. President, I speak on behalf of a very old country founded (laughter) founded in 1066 by the French. (Laughter, scattered applause.) Thank you.

I'd like in opening, Mr. President, to thank Dr. Blix and Dr.
ElBaradei for their reports, and to express my very great appreciation to them and to their inspection teams for their great efforts in the face of what I think is still very clear: Iraq's failure fully and actively to comply with Resolution 1441.

The joke was in response to Villepin's famous UNSC speech when he concluded by saying (in response to Rumsfeld's 'old Europe' comment) that France was indeed an old country, with experience in wars, foreign affairs, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 12:34 pm
@Foofie,
Well, coming back to Christmas ...
Foofie wrote:
But, then again, Germany has the same dichotomy as the U.S., even more so (aka, half Catholic, half Protestant). This can lead to a national character that wrestles with its own feelings, in my opinion.

... it was (the German) Luther who changed the gift bringer from St. Nicolas to the Christ Child or Christkind, and the date of giving gifts changed from December 6 to Christmas Eve.
Then, the Americans combined both.
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 05:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In many places in the Americas the 6th of January is celebrated as the day of the wise men...so I beg to differ
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 05:59 pm
@Germlat,
Orthodox Christians in US celebrate Christmas and Epiphany about a week after the Catholic/Protestant sects.

As a kid we celebrated both, the Russian Orthodox was less commercial but more food intensive. I actually like Russian Christmas better, it was less devoted to avarice
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:02 pm
@farmerman,
Good to hear of a different experience
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 12:05 am
@Germlat,
It's actually really the 6th of December - January 6 is Epiphany, when Italian (and Spanish ....) children get the presents from the three Holy Kings/Wise Men.

Greek and Russian Orthodox Christians use the Julian calendar and thus Christmas is a week later.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 01:19 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Half of the English vocabulary is of French origin, too.

Yeah, not to mention the other 3 halves that are German.

Every French schoolgirl should know that the Anglo-Frisian languages are distinguished from other West Germanic languages partially by the Ingvaeonic nasal spirant law, Anglo-Frisian brightening, and by the palatalization of Proto-Germanic *k to a coronal affricate before front vowels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_English_language

As ever, my presence is your xmas cheer up.

Quote:
If the origin of most of our christmas traditions are to be believed, can we really call it a christian celebration?

Yes, happy and wholly holidays.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 01:36 am
@Miss L Toad,
Since the 1960's that's called Ingvaeonic aka North Sea Germanic. (Though some Saxon tribes might have spoken Istvaeonic aka Weser-Rhine Germanic Wink )
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 08:49 am
@Miss L Toad,
Quote:
Yeah, not to mention the other 3 halves that are German.

Those must be very small halves, given there are more French than Germanic words in English.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 08:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I actually like Russian Christmas better, it was less devoted to avarice

Not to mention a holiday when everyone else has gone back to work.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 02:48 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Orthodox Christians in US celebrate Christmas and Epiphany about a week after the Catholic/Protestant sects.

As a kid we celebrated both, the Russian Orthodox was less commercial but more food intensive. I actually like Russian Christmas better, it was less devoted to avarice

Your family was Russian?
0 Replies