Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 10:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Those must be very small halves, given there are more French than Germanic words in English

A goodly portion are French.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg/250px-Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 04:02 am
@farmerman,
Less devoted to avarice, but more devoted to gluttony?

Where do i sign up?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 11:41 am
@Miss L Toad,
This issue has been discussed at length upthread. My best estimate is that words of French origin represent 41% of the 10,000 most frequently used words. Words of Latin origin are as numerous as French borrowings but used less frequently, on average.

Source: bottom of page 67 of Origins of the English Language by Joseph M. Williams.
http://books.google.com/books?id=RamwAZ6fpaoC&pg=PA67&lpg=PP1&focus=viewport&dq=Origins+of+the+English+Language+Joseph+M.+Williams+(3)&output=html_text

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 11:53 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

If the origin of most of our christmas traditions are to be believed, can we really call it a christian celebration?

sure

why not

call it what you like

and smile!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 06:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

This issue has been discussed at length upthread. My best estimate is that words of French origin represent 41% of the 10,000 most frequently used words. Words of Latin origin are as numerous as French borrowings but used less frequently, on average.

"Estimates" usually aren't as precise as "41%." Ten-thousand most frequently used words sounds like an estimate figure.

And, why would it matter? When did any nationality give credit to another nationality for anything, other than the plagues? You might be looking in the wrong places for gratitude.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 09:23 am
@Foofie,
Your entire personality looks like a poor estimate to me...

And I am not looking for gratitude, just interested in language and history.
Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Feel better now that you said that?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 11:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

What is this supposed to mean?

It reminds me of the retorts of children.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It means there's something else to add to the list of things that have shot right over your head.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It reminds me of the retorts of children.

Quote:
Finn, I understand you are humorless, and believe it is your solemn responsibility to point out all the blemishes you assume others have not noticed or stupidly ignore.

http://able2know.org/topic/228375-6#post-5527729

This bears repeating, only very dull humourless people go on about immature others are. It's the sort of thing a teenage girl does.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 08:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Seems to me that Foof is a poor approximation for the web persona he or she is trying to project. He or she makes rather bizarre statements, such as this one:

Quote:
"Estimates" usually aren't as precise as "41%." Ten-thousand most frequently used words sounds like an estimate figure.

He thinks he can look at a figure like 41% and conclude on its face that it's not an estimate, but 10,000 "sounds like" an estimate.... Just an example of how his mix of ignorance and pretense comes across as really odd.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:16 am
@Olivier5,
I don't agree but at least I now understand what you wrote.

Thanks for not being a dick like izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Shouldn't you be getting your snout in the trough. Time's a wasting.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 03:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Stick it
0 Replies

void123

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 12:17 am
@Smileyrius,
you can call it anything you want
0 Replies