Questions on Practical Issues for "Low Speed Vehicles"

fishin

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
I got to poking around and found some information on the GEM Car (GEM = Global Electric Motorcars LLC) and was just wondering if anyone is famaliar with these (and similar vehicles) in their neighborhoods?

I know there are retirement communities in FL where running around in a golf cart is the norm but I've never seen them leave the limited community.

How practical is having one of these type of things for someone that doesn't live in a gated community? Has your city/town enacted laws/regulations on the use of these on public roads? Do they become a menace on public roads? What are the practical limitations of such a vehicle for doing things other than running over to Martha's house for an afternoon bridge game?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:31 am
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html

Looks like you would have to research the local ordinances. In my town, they allow golf carts and low speed vehicles on the streets. On the main thoroughfare, which cuts the town in a north/south fashion, there are only three streets where these vehicles may cross. These cars may not ride on the main street.

With the advantages, there are many downsides to the use of these vehicles. It is extremely infuriating to be stuck in a car when the low speed vehicle ahead is moving along at 20 mph. I also think that it is dangerous. A person in such a conveyance does not have a chance if he is in an accident with a car.

We manage with these vehicles, because the traffic in our town is still not too heavy. I don't think that it would work well in a big town or city, where traffic is heavier. I also think that any area that has to contend with snow and ice would nor be a good place to drive these things.
0 Replies