Question about tablets from a tech idiot

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 10:23 am
ok, what exactly does a tablet do and how do they work?

I get the impression they are for surfing the net (nevermind about games, music downloads).

Is the advantage that you can be anywhere and pick up a close by wi-fi signal so you can look something up on the the internet?

If you buy a tablet, and are going to use it at home, do you have to add it to your computer service and pay more money, or does it just pick up the wi-fi, like netflix does?

If you are out and about, does it just pick up wi-fi signals, or is there a wi-fi card included, or what?

In other words, if you buy one, are there any other additional monthly costs?

timur

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 11:09 am
@chai2,
Quote:
What is a tablet?

Slim and lightweight, tablets are a new type of internet-enabled computer that work in a similar way to smartphones, with touchscreens and downloadable apps.

Although tablets are capable of running work applications they are mainly useful for entertainment on the go.

If you’re after a device that you can work on comfortably for long periods of time, or can store lots of large files, you might be better sticking to a laptop, and there's plenty you can do with a smartphone just as well as a tablet.

As well as being simple to use and easy to carry around with you, tablets turn on quickly, providing almost instant access to the internet or your apps.

Apps can be downloaded to add an enormous range of functions, from drawing to games and work-based activities like Word and Excel.

Here's a list of the most common uses for tablets:

Reading books, newspapers and magazines
Browsing the web
Playing games
Watching catch-up TV
Sending and receiving emails
Making video calls.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:11 pm
I generally use a samsingsongsung tablet (galaxy wotsit, 10.1) and find it very convenient.
Our broadband router in the house has the code on the back and all you do is go to settings on the tablet, click wi fi and it will show you all the routers in reach. Most of them will be "secure" (need you to supply a code password) and all you do is look at the serial number on your router, look down the list of routers available on your tablet, find your one, click it and it will ask for the code.
Punch in the code ( as previously mentioned, it's on the back of your router) and hey presto......you're connected!
Whenever you go onto the internet in your home from then on, it automatically finds your router and connects.

Of course, it could be totally different over in the USA.

As far as costs are concerned, it doesn'-t cost me any extra whatever I connect at home, but if I want a "roving" service....anywhere, anytime....it may cost a bit more on the contract, or I may choose to buy in this service from another company.

All in all, it's pretty much like a small laptop that is dead easy to use, but can't quite do as much as a laptop in one or two respects.

For surfing and doing this sort of stuff....a2k etc., it's great.
oralloy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Think of them as a new more-lightweight version of the laptop computer.

And they are proving so popular as a computer replacement that they are causing all the traditional computer makers to go out of business. It shouldn't be too many years now before there are no more "regular PCs" to be had, with only workstations, gaming consoles, and tablets remaining on the market.

chai2 wrote:
If you buy a tablet, and are going to use it at home, do you have to add it to your computer service and pay more money, or does it just pick up the wi-fi, like netflix does?

If you are out and about, does it just pick up wi-fi signals, or is there a wi-fi card included, or what?

They usually come with either wi-fi or a cellular modem, or both.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:38 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks, this was basically the answer I was looking for.

For home use, I'm fine with my trusty old desktop. Really don't need a laptop.

I was thinking it'd be nice while running around, to look stuff up.
Yeah, I know you can do that on a smart phone, but I'm not that smart. Wink
roger

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:11 pm
@chai2,
Me neither, chai, but I can't see how a tablet would smarten me up.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 05:19 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Yeah, I know you can do that on a smart phone, but I'm not that smart. Wink

The phone is smart so you don't have to be.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 06:09 pm
@chai2,
I'm a little late getting to this thread, but here... see if this helps...
chai2 wrote:

It's basically a small special function computer with no keyboard and a touch screen. They are really good at being portable and for web browsing and reading Email and books and things like that. They are really bad at allowing lots of typing and running specialized programs (they run their own program set (called Apps) very nicely however).

chai2 wrote:
I get the impression they are for surfing the net (nevermind about games, music downloads).

The can do a lot of things. The Applications available for them are too numerous to list.

chai2 wrote:
Is the advantage that you can be anywhere and pick up a close by wi-fi signal so you can look something up on the the internet?

That's one advantage. Same as a laptop except more portable.

chai2 wrote:

All the tablets can latch onto any WiFi signal in range. You don't have to pay any extra from your provider for that. But Tablets can also be purchased with cellular plans built in just like a smartphone. Tablets and Smartphones are really (pretty much) the same thing except that the viewing area is larger on the tablet.

chai2 wrote:

WiFi is built into the Tablets, so they will latch onto whatever WiFi signal you happen to be in range of (and can get access to). It's all included and works pretty much seamlessly.

chai2 wrote:

Only if you buy a Cell Service Plan with it.

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 06:36 pm
@rosborne979,
gracias rosborne.
ulinka

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 08:00 am
@chai2,
Which make better to buy? i mean quality
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 11:06 am
Been using iPad for years (great) but recently wanted something that would be more general purpose and run latest pc games as well. The Surface Book detaches from keyboard when I want tablet but is a powerful PC when plugged into KB.

Get the version with graphics processor in KB if games are important.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 04:34 pm
I love my tablet.

I travel a bit, so it provides -

Books, either purchased, downloaded from my local library, or sourced elsewhere on the 'net (I read a lot while travelling - it's a bloody long way from here to anywhere).

Travel documentation, such as copies of e-tickets, itineraries, passport, guidebooks, contacts, addresses, reviews, anything else I need while travelling, check or confirm flights.

Access the 'net - email, Facebook, A2K, research on where I'm going and what I want/need to see. (and I can make you envious about my next trip, by posting while I'm away!)

Music, photos.

At home, I use it for books, and to download the daily paper for my commute to work.

I'm just about to upgrade to a samsingsung thingy like Lordy's! (but smaller, of course!)

I should add that all of this only works if you don't leave it on the bloody plane!
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 05:07 pm
@margo,
I use a tablet to act as a notebook when Im in the field. I use the camera to take pix and blend the pix with text as my notes.
When Im in a town Ill top t a Starbucks or something with wifi and call up some apps like Rock-Logger which can take my field readings and convert them to certain diagrams and do calcs.
If I want to rite a lot I have a portable keyboard.
I think desktops may disappear but laptops , not so much. Theres a lot of stuff qe dont want on the cloud so Its still best to have models and major calcs be done on a secure site where the software is on board and its portable enough to carry around the place.
Certain tablets dont even have USB ports
ulinka

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 05:27 am
@chai2,
Tablets can do some of the things a phone does, some of the things a laptop does and a few things that only a tablet can do.
0 Replies

kanekiken

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:02 pm
@chai2,
lightweight and portable, playing games, web surfing. some tablets( if you buy at sprint, for example) also have mobile data. it just picks up the WiFi, although some, like Xfinity WiFi, you need to sign into your account. also its illegal to connect to a WiFi without the owner knowing. If you buy from a carrier, yes, there are charges if you get the mobile data pack. hope this helped.
-Kaneki
0 Replies

ulinka

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 08:21 am
@chai2,
Tablets works similar to iphones, just got bigger screen and wider options, I would say working faster as well.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 09:34 am
@farmerman,
I don't think desktops will disappear. There is a lot to be said about having a big monitor or two, a real keyboard and loads of disk space (although that last one can be stuffed onto a laptop).

But a laptop is pretty handy to have around, and I get why tablets are useful.

But, desktops will stay around... at least until we all get our neural implants.

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 09:52 am
@chai2,
It's just a different shape of computer. You don't need cell service for it if you want to use your existing wifi. It's better than personal computers at consuming content but worse in general at generating it.

So simply put, for games, videos and reading (books or the web) the tablet form factor is better than the laptop (nobody wants to read on a laptop on the beach) but for things with lots of typing it is worse.

For people who mainly consume it can be their sole personal comptuer, but for most people it is an in-between device mainly for entertainment.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 09:57 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I don't think desktops will disappear. There is a lot to be said about having a big monitor or two, a real keyboard and loads of disk space (although that last one can be stuffed onto a laptop).

They are like trucks, not the most popular form of vehicle but are not going anywhere.
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 10:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
With desktops we all use multiple screens and load up with other gizmos that "plug in" Like the Bamboo sketchpads.
I still like my tablet for field work. Its light, is bigger than a phones screen an I can hook up a porta keyboard when I want to zip along.
I usually take pictures in the field and then write a brief (or not so brief) caption like a journal.
ALSO, if we have some monitoring equip out these, a tablet (WITH A USB) fits up with the equipment without a lot of "hoping the cloud is reachable that day). I always like to rely on the units internal memory rather than the "cloud"