Do you support doing away with the electoral college?

sparky

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:15 pm
This topic is an offshoot from another thread.

Do you support doing away with the electoral college?

Thanks, edgarblythe, for asking the question.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,414 • Replies: 38
No top replies

sparky

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:17 pm
And my reply was.....

Yep. Old system for old days. I don't think there is a 'perfect' election system, but, the electoral college is outdated and unnecessary.

One person = one vote.

Ooh - this could be a new thread.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Perhaps when it was forged the electoral college was semi-effective but now it badly needs to be replaced. The U.S. populous is capable of becoming the direct outlet towards the election of the President, whereas the Electoral College makes them indirect because its thru the college someone is elected.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
no
0 Replies

edgarblythe

I agree with its replacement, but I don't realistically expect anything to be done about it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

No it's not. I don't ever want the EC to go away.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
Yes, I think it's one of the more absurd things about the US political system.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:49 pm
Maybe it would be better if I voted for the people in the Electoral College? I don't know these people from a hole in the ground. Then again, I could spot a hole in the ground.

I get the feeling this is one of those institutions that people feel will never go away, just because it's been around for (what seems like) forever. Anyone have any statistical or poll data on whether or not this thing should go away or not?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:53 pm
I think we should keep it.

I think it's a stop-gap method to protect the Union, to make voting fraud harder to pull off... A brilliant bit of foresight by the Founding Fathers.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:55 pm
You do vote for them. When you cast your vote. Which ever delegate wins the general election for that state wins the votes of that states members of the electoral college. It's not like they get to decide who they vote for.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's not like they get to decide who they vote for.

Look into what happens when they vote against the will of their public.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm
They did what they are supposed to do. If you take NYC, LA, Chicago out of the picture, Bush wins by a landslide. The president isn't meant to be elected by small portions of the country. That is why the EC is both unique and necessary.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:07 pm
No no, I mean look into what would happen to an elector if he/she decided to vote for who they want.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:08 pm
One vote one person is what makes sense in the modern age. As it is, people like myself have no political voice because I'm in the heart of Republican country.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
No no, I mean look into what would happen to an elector if he/she decided to vote for who they want.

Has that ever happened?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:14 pm
I think our votes count, eb. Just locally. You are in a sea of opposition, but your voice was heard.

It is a 'disenfranchising' feeling, when your state goes into the 'wrong' column-- but we counted.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
One vote one person is what makes sense in the modern age. As it is, people like myself have no political voice because I'm in the heart of Republican country.

Good point. I get that comment here a lot also.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:16 pm
No.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Has that ever happened?

Yes, and it is legal.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:32 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I agree completely. My vote is useless under the current system. However, I have an even more radical opinion, that voters should be required to pass a test on political issues. Too many voters are entirely ignorant and should not vote. They don't even know what they're affecting. I also think names should not be allowed on the ballets. It creates biased results. If everyone had to do a write in, a lot of idiots would waste their votes voting for celebrities or neighbors who aren't even running, hence weeding out a large portion of the ignorant populace.
0 Replies