Is the word "virgin" used properly here? I think "virgin" is a good word with positive implication..

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 12:33 am
It sounds not appropriate to collocate it with pollutants.

Context:

Plastic debris litters aquatic habitats globally, the majority of which is microscopic (< 1 mm), and is ingested by a large range of species. Risks associated with such small fragments come from the material itself and from chemical pollutants that sorb to it from surrounding water. Hazards associated with the complex mixture of plastic and accumulated pollutants are largely unknown. Here, we show that fish, exposed to a mixture of polyethylene with chemical pollutants sorbed from the marine environment, bioaccumulate these chemical pollutants and suffer liver toxicity and pathology. Fish fed virgin polyethylene fragments also show signs of stress, although less severe than fish fed marine polyethylene fragments. We provide baseline information regarding the bioaccumulation of chemicals and associated health effects from plastic ingestion in fish and demonstrate that future assessments should consider the complex mixture of the plastic material and their associated chemical pollutants.

More:
http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/131121/srep03263/full/srep03263.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 440 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 12:46 am
@oristarA,
You can argue the taste, but it's often used that way. Uncontaminated/unpolluted, etc. It's also sometimes used to indicate that something is a first experience.
JTT

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 04:49 pm
@roger,
Quote:
You can argue the taste,

You could, if you knew nothing about the English language, Rog.

==================
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/virgin

virgin adjective

a (1) : being used or worked for the first time
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 05:18 pm
@oristarA,
I would say the word "virgin" generally has a positive connotation. Virgin olive oil is the highest quality. Virgin snow is white, clean and beautiful.

The word "virgin" does have a bad connotation is when used with young men, in this case it means inexperience or inability to get laid. Strangely with young women it has a very different meaning. A virgin (when she is female) is a woman of purity and high character.

This is due to the fact that men gain value as human beings, and women lose value as human beings, by having sex.
0 Replies