Kerry gets served up with 'waffles'

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
waffles prank, Google almost surely will be soon.

Sherman says media coverage such as this newspaper story will help Jacobson and other pranksters achieve their objectives by drawing attention to their efforts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 768 • Replies: 19
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:02 pm
like this
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:03 pm
Yum..waffles.....
http://www.bullwhackers.com/restaurant/breakfast/waffle-1.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
There's a part of me that admires resourcefulness on the part of the 'bloggers'. The thing that irks me is that I use powerful search engines that reach sources you don't find on Google or Yahoo and it takes forever to pluck the legitimate information out of the all the blogs and junk a search pulls up. Throw in all the credible looking urban legends and it makes serious research much more difficult than it would otherwise be.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:06 pm
Foxfyre,

What "powerful search engines that reach sources you don't find on Google or Yahoo" are you talking about?

I ask because I work with Search Engines in a professional capacity, essentially doing this as a business (as opposed to a prank) and I know of no such bird.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:22 pm
I like this conversation now Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
We have a version of that in Holland, too ... if you type in raar kapsel (means: funny hairdo) in Google, you get the website of our Prime Minister on number one ... <grin>

Craven, I used to have this program installed on my computer, it would search for your query simultaneously on ten search engines and some e-mail directories ... forget its name. Sometimes helped me find stuff I hadnt gotten to thru Google itself. But only every once in a while, and it was taking valuable disk space ... so I del'd it. What was it called again .. ?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:28 pm
nimh, I bet you are talking about copernic, but I can't be sure as I know of nearly 200 such programs (some better than others).

But that's still not an example of "powerful search engines that reach sources you don't find on Google or Yahoo".

That is basically not a search engine, it's metasearch conflated by software. And it's not usually finding stuff that's not in Google it's just ranking it differently so it's giving different top-level SERPs.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:32 pm
Craven you worked with these follows yet? click
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
Nope.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:34 pm
Correction re above, I know close to 100 metasearch programs, not 200 (hit the wrong key and was surprised to suddenly be saying I knew more than I did).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:37 pm
Copernic is a good one. I suppose the term 'search engine' for Copernic is indeed incorrect. But there are times I need very specific information and "Ask Jeeves" and "Google" and "Yahoo" haven't come up with the answer. Type in a word or two into Copernic and wham, I've got it. I believe Yahoo is included on Copernic though...or it used to be. Guess I need to look to see what's there now Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:45 pm
Jsut to end my pedantry I'll say that with the alternate engines you are usually not finding things that are **not** in Google but you are finding things that are not highly ranked on Google.

i.e. it's a different ranking that's leading you to the finds and not necessarily a better index.

BTW, here are a few others to add to your top three:

http://www.gigablast.com (up and coming engine by one sole developer)

http://search.msn.com (will be a major player in less than 18 months.

http://www.teoma.com/ (Owned by Ask Jeeves, but a bit different from Ask Jeeves)

http://www.wisenut.com/ (the wisenut/looksmart search/directory combo).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:00 pm
Here's some info for you guys
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:06 pm
Well its not important enough to argue about, but sometimes I can type a word into Google and get 'no matches'. Type the same word into Copernic and get some hits. That's the difference.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:08 pm
Kerry likes ketchup with his waffles.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/kerry_golddigger.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:13 pm
Yeah, Copernic is what I meant, thanks Craven, otherwise I woulda still be thinking about it.

Foxfyre wrote:
sometimes I can type a word into Google and get 'no matches'. Type the same word into Copernic and get some hits.

Yeah, I had the same. Not often (not often enough to keep the software), but every once in a while.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:33 pm
That might have been before Google started "stemming" queries (they recently started stemming).
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:32 pm
LOL @ cjhsa
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:06 pm
How clever.
0 Replies