Should i allow my son to visit his father who is in Prison for life?

Baldimo

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 08:47 am
@JTT,
Interesting article. I don't agree with it and I still think we did the right thing going after bin Laden. Sorry you don't agree but it was the right thing. I guess it would have been smart for the Taliban to hand him over when they were asked.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 10:11 am
@Mame,
Quote:
His dad (Joe) and i were broken up before i found i was pregnant. He was sentenced to life on his third offense, and sent to prison before our son was born.

From the original posting - so the dad had no relationship whatsoever with this child. From the mom's words he has not spent any time with child seeing the dad was in prison prior to the child being born. Also seeing the dad has been in prison it is unlikely he has contributed financially.

They were broken up before she even knew she was pregnant. So the dad has had no contact with the baby whatsoever.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 10:15 am
@Linkat,
So max you give me a thumbs down because I consider the rights of the dad and mom the same?

Very odd.
BillRM

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 10:16 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
They were broken up before she even knew she was pregnant. So the dad has had no contact with the baby whatsoever.

So that turn him into "just" a sperm donor in some manner and if the woman had a child in prison that was then turn over at once to the father would that turn the mother into an egg donor?

Not having the ability to be in a child life and support that child is not the same as not doing so of his or her own free will.

Unless there is some overriding reason otherwise a parent should have as must contact with his children as possible even if that mean in a visiting room of a prison.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:04 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

The "father" in this particular case is little more than a sperm donor. Apart from never having had any contact with this child, he's never exercised any responsibly for this child's care and welfare in any regard--in no way has he functioned as a parent.

Nor is it clear, at all, from the OP that he even really wants to see this child now--three years after that child was born. This seems to be all a conflict going on in the mother's mind, about whether she should take the child to visit him, out of "sympathy" for the man. But we don't know what that "sympathy" is based on, nor do we know whether a longing, or real burning desire, to see his child is any part of that, nor do we know why it's taken 3 years for the matter of a visit with the child to suddenly become an issue for either of them.

It also seems clear from the OP that the poster hasn't visited this man in prison for the past 3 years because she seems to have no idea what the environment in a prison is like, particularly for visitors. Her contacts with him are through letters, and we have no idea why she's maintaining even that contact with him--that could be simply out of "sympathy" for him because he's feeling lonely and isolated from the outside world, or it might be for other reasons.

My first suggestion for the OP, if she is at all serious about taking this child for a visit to a prison, is that she goes for a visit by herself first, so she can see first hand what that experience is like, and what the place looks like.

This man, since he's doing a life sentence, is likely in a maximum security prison, and the security checks on visitors will make her aware of that, if all the barbed wire, and outside guards, surrounding the place doesn't do that first. All those security checks, to make sure visitors aren't bringing in contraband, usually result in waits on long lines on visiting days, sometimes even before you can enter the actual prison doors. And, once you enter, you find locked gates, and correction officers every few feet--and they will regard her suspiciously, and keep an eye on her, both to protect her, but to be sure she's not doing anything to violate their rules, or to bring in anything not allowed in the facility. This isn't like visiting a hospital, or going through security at an airport, she's going to know she's in a prison, and a maximum security prison to boot. And, once she's allowed to see this man, it will likely be through a glass partition rather than in an open visiting room.

Let her visit the prison first, and then decide whether this is an atmosphere she really wants to expose a 3 year old to, and whether she thinks she can even easily manage keeping a restless 3 year occupied and under control through what this ordeal might entail, particularly if she feels nervous about being there, and whether it's even worth doing at all, for the child's benefit.

Personally, I would not take a 3 year old on a visit to such a place, to see a "father" he has never had any contact or relationship with, particularly if the only motivation for doing so is "sympathy" for a parent, who has never been a parent, and with whom this child does not have any shared bond at all, except for some DNA. There is no benefit, to the child, at that age, for such a visit, and it can be a potentially disturbing experience for him. I would put the child's welfare first, and I would supply the man only with photos of the child, or drawings made by the child, if I thought that was appropriate.

Like everything else, questions like, "Do I have a daddy?" or "Where is my daddy?" should be answered only when they arise, and the answers have to be appropriate for the child's level of comprehension as they arise. This child may not even be asking these questions yet.

I think the OP is being a thoughtful and concerned parent by even wondering whether a visit would be appropriate for a child that young. And her "sympathy" for this man indicates she is a compassionate person. But, part of her "sympathy" for this man is based on her feeling that, if she were in prison, she'd want her children to visit. But her view is likely skewed by the fact that, unlike this child's father, she was more than an egg/sperm donor, she carried this child inside her, he was a part of her body during gestation, she gave birth to him, and she has cared for him for the past 3 years. Of course she'd want to see her child, if she was in prison, she has a bond with her child, and he has a bond with her, and it might well be a benefit for the child to see a parent he already has an attachment to and misses. But, that's not the situation for this child and this man, and trying now, to start facilitating a relationship, at his young age, and under these conditions, really doesn't make good sense. This man will never be a part of her son's childhood, and any decisions about wanting to make him any part of this child's life, with actual prison visits, should wait for a later date.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:58 pm
@Linkat,
I didn't give you a thumbs down... I very rarely give thumbs down. You really have to earn it.

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Well I figured since I responded to your questions - just seems an odd thing to hit a thumbs down to equality.

I honestly don't care - actually getting a thumbs down rather than nothing shows you hit a point. You know there is no such thing as bad press.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 04:02 pm
@Linkat,
I agree, but sorry, It wasn't me.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 04:04 pm
Cindy get back in here and tell us something we need to know (or have i missed it?), namely has daddy Joe ASKED you to bring junior for a visit?
cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 09:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hello, this is cindy20 from another account answering your question regarding the post i made, i know this reply back is very late and i just wanted to confirm that he is not my husband. I am married to someone else who has been with my son since day one. My son just turned 3 now and he doesn't know anything about his biological dad. Thank you for your feed back on this matter and i will take your comment into consideration
cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:20 am
This is cindy20 responding to all comments from another account. I can't access my cindy20 account because the email linked to it has been deleted and i forgot the password, but i am here to give my very late response on this matter, for those who still wanted to know, seeing that the topic has resurfaced back to my life and i did not notice how many people actually commented on my post.

My sons dad was sent to prison for accounts of burglary and a one incident hand gun account for protection and he was caught in a bank with a gun to protect himself (was not trying to rob it). (some guys were after him). I am not married to the guy in prison, i married someone else who has been in my sons life since day one. My son doesn't even know about his biological dad. It really sucks that i put my self and my son into this situation, it was only a one time thing and it happened to produce a baby. when i look back i see greatly why its important to get to know the person first, but i was young and very dumb. I did not know about his dads recent jail activities. but when i became pregnant, everything started to resurface.

I have been writing letters and sending pictures to him. I have told him about my concerns and now i feel like i being wishy washy in letting my son visit him. my son is too young for jail time visits and besides we live in a totally different state which means it would cost me money i don't have to set up arrangements to visit him.

My family agrees that my son should not go to visit his dad until he is 18, and i feel i will not get much support from them if i did decide to do it before that age.

sometimes i wish to just get it over with, and since he is young he will hopefully even forget the visit, till he is old enough to comprehend. other times i feel like i should wait til he's 18 to tell him. but i don't know if that is too long to wait to tell a person, hey your real dad has been in prison this whole time do you want to see him now that im telling you. I hate this i still don't know what to do..

wish i could run away from this reality.
0 Replies

cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:24 am
@maxdancona,
it was a single night. We only dated for 2-3 months, then we broke up and 2 months later i found out i was pregnant.
0 Replies

cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:28 am
@firefly,
Thank you for your comment regarding my previous post... i will def. take this into consideration
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:32 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

has daddy Joe ASKED you to bring junior for a visit?

None of these recent posts have answered this question.

Has the man in prison asked you to bring the kid for a visit?
cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:33 am
@chai2,
Yes he has asked me to see him.
0 Replies

cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 10:36 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I am back from another account, to answer all question regarding this post, i left out a lot of important information seeing that when i typed it i was sort of frustrated and failed to mention specific details.
cindy21

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 11:00 am
@aidan,
Thank you for your comment, this is cindy20 from another account. it was many accounts of burglary and possession of a hand gun at a bank ( but he wasn't trying to rob them) just for protection because people where after him. I gave a little more detail at the end of all the replies on the 5th page
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 11:04 am
@cindy21,
I think you can stop saying you're cindy 20 with a new account.

We all get that.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 11:06 am
@cindy21,
cindy, why are you continuing to maintain correspondence with the man who is prison?

Did you marry before you gave birth to your son? Who is listed on the birth certificate as the father of the child?

How does your husband feel about this situation?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 12:10 pm
@cindy21,
Thanks for coming back and filling in the details.

I'm also a little curious about what your husband thinks about all of this.
0 Replies