Justice Department: no more private prisons

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 03:28 pm
Great news!

Quote:
The Justice Department plans to end its use of private prisons after officials concluded the facilities are both less safe and less effective at providing correctional services than those run by the government.

Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates announced the decision on Thursday in a memo that instructs officials to either decline to renew the contracts for private prison operators when they expire or “substantially reduce” the contracts’ scope. The goal, Yates wrote, is “reducing — and ultimately ending — our use of privately operated prisons.”

“They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and as noted in a recent report by the Department’s Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security,” Yates wrote.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/18/justice-department-says-it-will-end-use-of-private-prisons/?utm_term=.2d49f4c793e4

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,595 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 03:32 pm
@boomerang,
Plus, and this is just a guess, it may affect incentive to sock people away.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:00 pm
Do the states have a say?

Lease length is also an issue.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:02 pm
@Builder,
Why would any state have a say in the operation of federal prisons?
Builder

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:08 pm
@roger,
California is still building them.

Arizona is in hock for them.

Take a peek.

There'll be no changes with lease agreements.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:14 pm
@Builder,
California and Arizona can do as they wish. They are not part of the federal prison system. In case you are not getting my meaning, the states have nothing to do with the federal prison system.

Sorry, I didn't 'peek'.
Builder

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:17 pm
@roger,
Quote:
In addition to selling off state properties in an effort to balance its budget, Arizona is expanding its contracts with private prison companies, ostensibly to save money. After a 2009 effort to privatize most of the state’s prison system didn’t pan out, Arizona officials issued a request for proposals seeking 5,000 more private prison beds. Four companies responded, although no action is being taken until after the state finishes a report on a comparison of public and private prisons. Arizona already houses around 6,000 of its 40,000 prisoners in privately-operated facilities.

In Florida, the use of lease revenue bonds to finance prison construction “has obscured both the near- and long-term costs of failing to make needed policy changes.” That was the main conclusion drawn in an April 2011 report titled “A Billion Dollars and Growing: Why Prison Bonding is Tougher on Florida’s Taxpayers Than on Crime,” by the Collins Center on Public Policy and Florida Tax Watch.

Florida’s prison population has grown from 20,000 prisoners in the 1980s to 102,000 in 2010. Over that same time period the cost to Florida taxpayers to fund the state’s prison system has ballooned from $169 million to $2.4 billion annually.

source
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:18 pm
@Builder,
Ay yi yi!
Builder

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 05:21 pm
@roger,
Privatisation is basically kicking the can down the road a ways.

Our current govt is selling us out here as well.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 06:57 pm
@Builder,
You're not really reading anything except your own mind, are you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 07:09 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Privatisation is basically kicking the can down the road a ways.

Our current govt is selling us out here as well.

What do you mean?
Builder

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 05:00 pm
Try reading the link. I'll get back to you when I can.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 07:21 pm
@boomerang,
Builder wrote:

Try reading the link. I'll get back to you when I can.

And that's probably all the answer you can expect.
Builder

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 04:45 pm
@roger,
I don't live on the forum, roger. I have a life.

Which part of privatisation aren't you understanding?

Govt sells off infrastructure, because banks colluded to make themselves richer, blew it severely (said nobody saw this coming, right?) got bailed out by the taxpayers, gave themselves "performance" bonuses instead, because Obama didn't make it clear what to do with the bailout money, and the states sold off assets, including prisons, to keep their budgets out of the red.

Would you like me to read that back to you slowly?
roger

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 05:10 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Would you like me to read that back to you slowly?

Of course not. You keep answering the point you were hoping I would make. Wasn't interesting the first time, either.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 04:19 pm
@boomerang,
Until the next Republican Administration.

We have a little more than 4 months in Obama's term.

Just wait and see all the stuff he tries to get done through Executive orders and Departmental edicts.

A good bit of it (like his insistence that public schools allow students to use the bathrooms and lockers rooms they are most "comfortable" with) will get put on hold, at least, by the judiciary, but he won't care, the actions will show up in his LEGACY ROOM in the Obama Presidential Library.

0 Replies