Is "ire" still in use? Does "provoked the ire" sound old-fashioned?

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:03 pm

Context:
On Oct 24, the Chinese Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Public Security announced new guidelines to provide better security at hospitals: the number of security guards in each hospital should be at least one per 20 patient beds or no less than 3% of medical staff.3 This announcement has provoked the ire of medical professionals and Internet users, stressing the government's hypocrisy because it will not address the fundamental issue of protection of doctors and might even further intensify the doctor—patient conflicts.4

More:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62401-0/fulltext

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:36 pm
@oristarA,
It sounds very slightly old fashioned, but it's well understood and I would not hesitate to use it. In your example, it sounds quite natural.

Now, I'm going to go read the article and see why 20 beds requires a security guard.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:37 pm
@roger,
"Article not found". Hmmm. Maybe I'm not the only one that thought it sounded a little odd.
Miss L Toad
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:38 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, "ire" is still in use. As a turn of phrase goes , it's more clinquant than demode.

It went and lit my ire.

oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 10:07 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

"Article not found". Hmmm. Maybe I'm not the only one that thought it sounded a little odd.

It's A2K's fault. You have to copy the link:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62401-0/fulltext

If still "404 not found", that is probably because Lancet blocks non-China IP access.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 10:23 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Is "ire" still in use? Does "provoked the ire" sound old-fashioned?
Its OK.

David
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 10:48 pm
@oristarA,
Full context:

The Lancet, Volume 382, Issue 9906, Pages 1703 - 1704, 23 November 2013 <Previous Article|Next Article>doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62401-0Cite or Link Using DOICopyright © 2013 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.

Appeal from Chinese doctors to end violence

Within only 10 days in October, seven consecutive incidents of violence against medical personnel took place in Chinese hospitals, three doctors were killed and ten medical staff were injured.1 This recent wave of assaults on medical staff has led to widespread discussions on Chinese social media. Anger, fear, despair, and even hatred are common among doctors. Chinese doctors are under tremendous stress.
The growing problem of violence in hospitals in China can certainly be attributed to the worsening of the doctor—patient relationship, but more importantly, it is probably due to the fact that China's health-care system lacks regulations to protect medical staff from intended violence.2 There is no comprehensive legislation in China to specifically address medical disputes and violence, with the exception of so-called guiding opinions without legal effects.
On Oct 24, the Chinese Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Public Security announced new guidelines to provide better security at hospitals: the number of security guards in each hospital should be at least one per 20 patient beds or no less than 3% of medical staff.3 This announcement has provoked the ire of medical professionals and Internet users, stressing the government's hypocrisy because it will not address the fundamental issue of protection of doctors and might even further intensify the doctor—patient conflicts.4
This deteriorated medical environment has led many to question what will be the future of doctors in China—this is a collective concern for the entire Chinese society.5
As doctors in China, we call for a zero-tolerance attitude toward violence in hospital. The Chinese Government should drive the momentum of health-care reform to bring fundamental relief in this tense situation. Legislation should be strengthened to tackle crimes hampering the safety of medical staff. Only with effective and prompt actions will we be able to rebuild confidence.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 11:15 pm
@oristarA,
Thanks for posting that. Any idea why doctor/patient relationships are so bad?

Number of incidents doesn't really tell me a lot. China is a big place, after all.
oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 11:39 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Thanks for posting that. Any idea why doctor/patient relationships are so bad?

Number of incidents doesn't really tell me a lot. China is a big place, after all.

(1) US is ruled by LAW, while China is ruled by man. So actually NO RULE can be followed in China and infuriated patients, when unsatisfied by treatment outcome, would seek compensation through blood and slaughter. Because they think doctors are dogs of the government.

(2) Due to failing school and education in China.

(3) Widespread, refractory corruption in Chinese government has also ruined the heart of today's Chinese people.

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 11:43 pm
@oristarA,
That sure doesn't sound too good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 04:20 am
I doubt that you will find many people using the word in conversationally. In writing, it might still be seen from time to time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 04:40 am
@Miss L Toad,
I use it often.....but I'm weird.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 06:32 am
People's ire can be aroused or provoked, and when it is, they become irate. Perfectly natural, acceptable, and readily understood in British English. Possibly a little formal and therefore likely to be perceived as old-fashioned by the iPad generation and/or chavs. Actually on reflection I think Chavs would probably say "yer wot?".

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 07:40 am
Because "ire" is a little old-fashioned, and slightly "educated" or "dignified", it may be used to signify an attack upon (implied) pomposity or self-importance e.g. "Proposals to legalise gay marriage will probably arouse the ire of the conservative wing of the Church Of England"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 12:59 am

I wonder whether the word
is etymologically related to Ireland.

David
roger

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 01:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Good one, David!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 10:16 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
US is ruled by LAW

That's the illusion, Ori.

Quote:
Who are the Cuban Five?

The Cuban Five are five Cuban men who are unjustly imprisoned in the United States after being arrested by the FBI on Sept. 12, 1998 and convicted in U.S. federal court in Miami in 2001, in a political prosecution by the U.S. government.

They are Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino, Antonio Guerrero, Fernando González and René González.*

The Five were falsely accused by the U.S. government of committing espionage conspiracy against the United States, and other related charges.

The Five’s actions were never directed at the U.S. government. They never engaged in nor planned any conspiracy against the government.

As the Cuban Five pointed out in their defense, they were on a mission in Miami, beginning in 1990, to monitor the actions of Miami-based terrorist groups, in order to prevent those groups from carrying out attacks on their country of Cuba.

They never harmed anyone nor ever possessed nor used any weapons on their mission. Their objective was simply protecting people from terrorism.

Background

For more than 40 years, anti-Cuba terrorist organizations based in Miami have engaged in hundreds of terrorist activities against Cuba, and against anyone who advocates a normalization of relations between the U.S. and Cuba. A total of 3,478 Cubans have died as a result of terrorist violence, and 2,099 have been injured.

Avowedly violent organizations like Comandos F-4, Brothers to the Rescue, Cuban American National Foundation’s armed wing, and individuals like Luis Posada Carriles, have operated with complete impunity from within the United States to attack Cuba—with the knowledge and support of the FBI and CIA.

The U.S. government refused to act to arrest or prosecute well-known, notorious terrorists in Miami, despite overwhelming evidence of their crimes.

The Cuban Five infiltrated the terrorist organizations in Miami to inform Cuba of imminent attack and to thwart the terrorists’ plots.

The aim of such a clandestine operation by the Cuban Five—at great personal risk—was to prevent criminal acts, and thus protect the lives of Cubans and other people.

But instead of arresting the terrorists, the FBI arrested the Cuban Five ANTI-terrorists on September 12, 1998. The Five were illegally held in solitary confinement for 17 months in Miami prison. The seven-month trial began in November 2000, and at the time of the trial was the longest trial in the United States.

With the trial based in Miami, a virtual witch-hunt atmosphere existed, in which defendants identified as supportive of Cuba could not hope to receive an impartial trial. Defense attorneys’ motions for a change of venue were denied several times by Judge Joan Lenard.

The Cuban Five were convicted June 8, 2001 and sentenced to four life terms and 75 years in December, 2001.

[READ ON AT,]

http://www.freethefive.org/whoarethefive.htm

Quote:
Due to failing school and education in China.

Same deal in the US in English and History.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 10:32 am
@oristarA,
It doesn't sound at all old fashioned, Ori.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 10:33 am
@roger,
Quote:
It sounds very slightly old fashioned, but it's well understood and I would not hesitate to use it. In your example, it sounds quite natural.

The dictionary definition of 'equivocate'.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 11:09 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
It's A2K's fault. You have to copy the link:

Try putting "URL code brackets" at the beginning and end of the link so that the A2K software recognizes that the parentheses are supposed to be part of the link.

Code:[url]http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62401-0/fulltext[/url]

should result in:

If that fails, try replacing each parenthesis with the proper "percent code".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

"(" can be replaced by "%28"
")" can be replaced by "%29"

EDIT: Note that the /url code brackets will on rare occasions break a link that works just fine without them.